Talk

Advanced search

Updating conservatory cost

(3 Posts)
menofharlech Sat 22-Aug-20 10:11:38

We have a 80s conservatory- reasonable size (maybe 3m x 3m) on the back of our house built with the property.

As you'd expect, it's pretty unusable really - too cold/too hot. A few of the panes have blown, one door into the garden doors needs replacing. There is also a gap/crack between the dwarf wall and the house as well as an ants nest we can't seem to get shot of.

DH and I are arguing about what to do. I would quite like to give it a bit of tlc - replace windows, get a replacement roof so it's not a sweat box, get builder into check/fix soundness. DH thinks this is pointless as it will still be too hot to use in a meaningful way (gets full sun from about 1.30 onwards).

He says it won't add value even though we are t intending to move for another 10 years or so. I say we run the risk of it devaluing if we don't keep it in good nick.

We can't really afford to get it pulled down and replaced and it is useful space to have. I'd like to repurpose as a wfh space and also somewhere for the kids to have space as they approach teen years.

Builder has had a look at it and didn't think it looked too bad but then his wife left him and he stopped working before he gave us quotes. Window company also took a quick glance and said it seemed fairly sound if run down. I will get them out to look properly.

But opinions/ball park cost? We are in SW.

OP’s posts: |
FenellaVelour Sat 22-Aug-20 10:17:37

If it’s run down there’s no point in replacing the roof. A new roof isn’t cheap - ours is just being done now (brick built sunroom) for around £7k.
It sounds like for the work you’d need to do, you’re pretty much looking at near the price of a whole new conservatory.

Misty9 Sat 22-Aug-20 14:16:39

A tradesman friend has quoted me around 10k to knock mine down to the brick level, re-glaze one side, put French doors in the end, brick up the other side (against fence) and put pitched roof with velux on (need planning) and heating. These are mates rates though...

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in