Reduce price after 10 days?

(10 Posts)
everyonelovescarrots Fri 21-Aug-20 17:03:21

Am I mad? We live in an area where most at the moment are having several viewings in the first few days.

We've had nothing. Not one phone call about it. I feel the estate agent has put the price too high and would be happy with a lower amount. We have found the perfect place to move into and agreed a price should we get a buyer for ours.

Is it madness to ignore estate agent and lower it by 5/10k?

OP’s posts: |
PushyMeez Fri 21-Aug-20 17:05:58

I think you should, especially since this was your own instinct to start with. There's only 1 shot at a first impression and IMO when houses are overpriced they sit like 'turkeys', even though there's nothing wrong with them. If you can afford to reduce and get the house seen, my advice would be go for it. Good luck!

PushyMeez Fri 21-Aug-20 17:06:45

*house YOU'VE seen, that should say! 🤦‍♀️

everyonelovescarrots Fri 21-Aug-20 17:14:08

Thank you! Dh thinks I'm way too impatient and it's too soon but we decided that even if we get 25k less than asking for our place we'd be happy with the profit we'd made and the next house would hopefully be a 10 year plus house. They are selling so quickly I'll be so frustrated if it goes because there's nothing else I like!

OP’s posts: |
BlackKittyKat Fri 21-Aug-20 17:30:32

We did this. We were shocked with the price the estate agent suggested marketing our house for but they talked us into it.

After two weeks with only three viewings (and it felt they were rail roaded into viewing ours) we instructed them to drop the asking price by 15k.

It worked - we then got people through the door and an offer.

I say follow your instincts.

Bells3032 Fri 21-Aug-20 17:31:27

I did in less than a week and got one viewing that day and is under offer from that viewing.

Shadowboy Fri 21-Aug-20 20:00:31

Just be wary to make a listing move up to the top of the new listings it needs to drop in price by 2% of more.

Advertisement

user1471538283 Sat 22-Aug-20 09:20:47

Yes do by at least £10k. If your house is the right price it will sell

wowfudge Sat 22-Aug-20 10:55:05

No viewings in the first week of marketing is a sure sign it's overpriced if comparable houses which are cheaper are getting them. We had three agents all put our house in same price bracket. We felt the top of that was too much and the house was marketed at the lower end. We sold for 5% under asking.

mklanch Sat 22-Aug-20 12:54:21

make sure you estate agents are checking their emails etc. we saw a house we liked online and contacted on the day it got put on through email. we have received no reply from them, so i messaged through facebook (As they have a facebook page) again no reply.
its been 5 days since the house was put on and the estate agent have yet to contact me back!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in