Which survey for this house?

(9 Posts)
Fleabagster Thu 20-Aug-20 12:17:55

Hi all
We are buying a house on a nice estate built in 1998. Would you just have the homebuyers report? A friend said she wouldn’t even bother with that. Or would you get a full survey?

OP’s posts: |
houseofrabbits Thu 20-Aug-20 12:22:09

We are buying a house of a similar age. Originally we weren't going to bother with a survey but in the end decided to go for a level 2 homebuyers survey just to put our mind at ease.

Fleabagster Thu 20-Aug-20 12:33:25

That’s our thinking too @houseofrabbits.

Bluntness100 Thu 20-Aug-20 12:35:25

I’d defintely have a survey done, it’s twenty two years old. If you don’t then you have no come back. You’re spending hundreds of thousands, why would you scrimp on checking it out first to save a few hundred?

Fleabagster Thu 20-Aug-20 12:36:17

@Bluntness100 I agree - but which level of survey would you have?

Bells3032 Thu 20-Aug-20 12:38:29

Deff get a survey. Not sure on Levels...what are the options? We just got presented different options with different add ons but no levels

Saz12 Thu 20-Aug-20 14:05:59

A survey doesn’t really give you any come-back (lots of disclaimers in survey reports) but should uncover anything horrific (ie damp, wet rot, leaky roof, subsidence). I’d go for a Homebuyers survey, personally.

Advertisement

Bluntness100 Thu 20-Aug-20 14:07:56

Sorry yes, come back was the wrong term, more you are buying sight seen so there could be hidden issues you aren’t aware of, just couldn’t be arsed writing that out,,

purpletrees16 Thu 20-Aug-20 15:18:18

Has it been extended/ any walls removed - if so full structural is required to set your mind at ease. Would still get one personally - would rather know that I had to nothing vs. Find out when I come to sell the house on for the sale of a few hundred quid.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in