Second viewing and vendor’s availability

(33 Posts)
Raella50 Thu 20-Aug-20 10:36:43

We’ve found a house we like and viewed it on Saturday. It’s fair to say the market is very hot here and the moment and houses are selling quickly. We decided that we’d like a second viewing to measure a couple of things and then potentially, all being well, put in an asking price offer. I called their EA on Sunday to arrange and was told they’d call back when they’ve spoken to vendors to arrange - all fine. No call back came so I called Monday morning to check (I know they’re very busy at the moment and could’ve forgotten) and was told the same thing. I’ve since called them every morning to check in and been told the vendors haven’t responded yet. I’ve just spoken to them this morning and said I can’t understand why they can’t at least organise a viewing? Asked if they’re definitely keen to sell. EA says it very common to wait a while for a response but I think it’s weird?! They’re working from home apparently and doing viewings at weekends only, which is fine but why can’t we go this weekend then? I’m concerned that a whole load more viewings are going to take place this weekend and they can’t even be bothered to respond to us wanting a second viewing? We are in a position to proceed, why just not respond?? Is this normal behaviour and should we just wait a bit longer? DH thinks we should put a note through the door saying we like the house, would love to arrange a second viewing and haven’t been able to through the EA, leave contact number to arrange at their convenience. Would that be reasonable?!

OP’s posts: |
Lazypuppy Thu 20-Aug-20 10:39:26

Its weirs to want to measure on a second viewing.
I've only ever measured once i've had an offer accepted.

If you like the property put an offer in

Raella50 Thu 20-Aug-20 10:41:10

We only want to measure a space outside the back to make sure we can get what we need in there. We’re not wanting to measure up the rooms for furniture.

OP’s posts: |
nocoolnamesleft Thu 20-Aug-20 10:49:55

I measured on a second viewing, as I knew I'd not be able to return until I moved in. (Moving from 6 hours away)

Raella50 Thu 20-Aug-20 10:55:10

@nocoolnamesleft I don’t think it’s that unusual to be honest - we certainly weren’t offered more viewings after the offer was accepted on this house.

Regardless of measuring or not measuring, a second viewing is pretty common surely? I can’t understand the logic of not agreeing to one. They could have to go through lots more first viewings to get the same offer. Why not just let us come along on the same block of appointments as the first time viewers this weekend? It doesn’t make sense to me.

OP’s posts: |
Els1e Thu 20-Aug-20 10:55:52

I would go with your dh suggestion and put a note through the door. It does seem a little odd not to be encouraging second viewings.

Puffthemagicdragongoestobed Thu 20-Aug-20 10:59:50

Of course it makes sense to measure on second viewing! You don't want to make an offer now and then work out weeks/ months down the line that your furniture won't fit/ house is too small. And it makes sense to have a second viewing before making an offer. You should be sure before making an offer as you wouldn't want to mess people around by changing your mind later on in the process.

I would be slightly wary of an unresponsive vendor unless there is a good reason. Keep trying for another viewing but also look at other houses.


Raella50 Thu 20-Aug-20 11:03:33

Yes it is strange not to respond to potential buyers. Why bother to market your house at all if that’s your attitude?! DH think it could be the EA not chasing things through as so busy at the moment. They keep telling me the vendors are “very important solicitors” as though this is an excuse as to why they won’t respond to a request for a second viewing. They’re just too busy and important to respond.

OP’s posts: |
loutypips Thu 20-Aug-20 11:06:47

Maybe I'm stating the obvious but could they be on holiday? Obviously the estate agent isn't going to advertise the fact they are away...

anonymouse Thu 20-Aug-20 11:11:38

Perfectly normal to request a second viewing before making an offer. Are the vendors aware that pending 2nd viewing you'd be interested in making an offer?

Only reason I say that is when we were on the market we had one couple view 4 times and in the end it turned out they were never going to offer as we had a north facing garden. Trips to our house were seemingly an outing for them. This was pre covid though.

It did make me wary of 2nd viewings though as it was such a faff to make the house presentable with a toddler that I wasn't going to bother with time wasters.

After them the only 2nd viewing we accepted was now the new owners of our house. They came after work when it was dark for the initial viewing and said they wanted to see in daylight and were interested in making an offer.

Raella50 Thu 20-Aug-20 11:13:41

@loutypips oh possibly! EA keeps saying they’re working from home, very busy, can’t be disturbed etc If they said they’d do viewings but on X date in the future, I’d accept that. The thing that’s annoying me is that they’re doing first viewings this weekend (EA let that slip) so if vendor was on holiday, where’s the harm in spotting us in on the end of those viewings? I’m genuinely baffled. I think perhaps they’re just not that keen to sell - frustrating!

OP’s posts: |
Raella50 Thu 20-Aug-20 11:17:19

@anonymouse that’s fair enough and totally understandable. I’m not sure what the vendors actually know as I’ve only been speaking to EA. I haven’t mentioned making an offer but then I have called evry morning for 5 days straight to check in so it must be obvious I’m interested grin Perhaps a notE through letterbox to the vendors explain our position may be the way to go.

OP’s posts: |
pineappletop Thu 20-Aug-20 11:20:36

Could it be that they have an offer on the table. When we wanted to organise a second viewing we had the same thing and then found out it's because an offer had been put in and the vendors were thinking it over and didn't want to have other people put offers in at the same time

UtterlyUnimaginativeUsername Thu 20-Aug-20 11:25:26

Could it be that they have an offer on the table. When we wanted to organise a second viewing we had the same thing and then found out it's because an offer had been put in and the vendors were thinking it over and didn't want to have other people put offers in at the same time
Did they not understand how bidding is supposed to work?!

Raella50 Thu 20-Aug-20 11:26:56

@pineappletop oh maybe then! I’ve asked EA directly if there’s an offer on the house and they say no offers. Who knows though, stranger things have happened... It feels like they’re playing games of some sort. No idea what the issue is.

Does anyone think that this is normal and wouldn’t be worried after no response for five days? EA says it’s very common and just to wait patiently. I’m not convinced.

OP’s posts: |
BlusteryShowers Thu 20-Aug-20 11:35:46

I would think it odd as well, OP. I can't imagine why they wouldn't want to encourage someone who was very interested in buying.

When I was a FTB I had to really chase an agent to see one house and I told the vendor about it when we did eventually view; she wasn't happy.

I'd also go with the note through the door if I'm honest. If you're local you could maybe drive by a few times first just to see if there are signs of life, as the holiday explanation is certainly plausible as well.

bilbodog Thu 20-Aug-20 11:52:35

Could be the estate agents have got a lot of interest in the house and want further viewings to go ahead this weekend. Their job is to get the best buyers for their client so they might not have room for second viewings this weekend and go for sealed buds the following week?

Are you in a good position?

minnieok Thu 20-Aug-20 12:03:07


We did just as you wanted (except got a same day viewing) we saw the house we are buying first so wanted to see one more time to check fitted appliances, wardrobe sizes etc you can get confused when you see multiple properties. What else do you spend hundreds of thousands buying after a 20 minute viewing!!!

Raella50 Thu 20-Aug-20 12:07:45

@bilbodog yes we’re ready to proceed but I honestly won’t offer if we don’t get a second viewing. We’ve just booked in to see two other houses this Saturday. Hopefully we’ll like one of those and get a better response.

OP’s posts: |
Raella50 Thu 20-Aug-20 12:11:49

@minnieok exactly!!! The most money I’ll ever spend and I can’t even have a second look!!!!

OP’s posts: |
joeysapple Thu 20-Aug-20 12:13:46

Maybe one of the agents or the agent's friends or family is interested and the agent isn't passing your message on pending their friend/family viewing?

Maybe the vendors got bad vibes from you / felt you'd be hard work later down the line and wants to see if any other offers come in?

Just a couple of things I can think of.

friendlycat Thu 20-Aug-20 12:17:07

Yes it would put me off as well. Of course you want a second viewing. I would look at other properties and not hold out for this one.

sunshinesupermum Thu 20-Aug-20 12:33:33

It's normal to have a second viewing before offering. The estate agent is hiding something and not doing his job. Perhaps the vendors haven't been told you are interested in making an offer?

Even if WFH that shouldn't prevent evening and weekend viewings if they are serious about selling.

Raella50 Thu 20-Aug-20 12:38:49

@joeysapple hmm how could they get bad vibes if they’ve never met us?!

OP’s posts: |
Lougle Thu 20-Aug-20 12:43:13

Put the note through the door. It takes 2 minutes and might get you the house.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in