Round 3-pin plug sockets? Do adapters exist?!

(11 Posts)
Fagin99 Tue 18-Aug-20 10:37:32

Hi all,

Just moved into a house that has those old fashioned 3-pin round sockets for lamps (please see pic). I've been told by a friend that I'll need to manually change the plug on all my lamps to them use (wouldn't have a clue!), but I'm struggling to believe that simple adapters don't exist?

Has anyone found an adapter on the market that I can use to plug in my 'normal' UK plugged lights and convert it to this shape of socket...?

Sorry if that doesn't make a lot of sense! DIY is not my strong point...


OP’s posts: |
milienhaus Tue 18-Aug-20 10:40:14

Like this?

milienhaus Tue 18-Aug-20 10:43:19

Hmm no maybe that’s just the plug ...

lljkk Tue 18-Aug-20 10:44:40


Trumpton Tue 18-Aug-20 10:50:46

Generally that shape are 5 amp only and are run from the lighting circuit.
The danger of having an adaptor ( if they exist ) is that a more powerful appliance could be plugged in .

TreestumpsAndTrampolines Tue 18-Aug-20 10:51:07

uk to india plug adaptor

seems to be the search to do - although I'd buy just one or two to check!

I have these too - switching a plug isn't a big deal though - we used to have to do it as one of our tasks in brownies when I was 10!

Fagin99 Tue 18-Aug-20 11:29:59

Thank you all. I'll look into the India plug converter option, or maybe I'll be brave and trust myself to change a plug without electrocution! confused

OP’s posts: |


IamMaz Tue 18-Aug-20 11:57:10

Our son moved into a different flat a year ago. DH and I got our electrician to go round there to do several jobs.

One of them was to change some sockets like those. The previous occupant was from a different country and we assumed they had changed UK sockets to those so that their appliances would be able to be plugged in. The electrician explained that they were UK sockets for lamps and not suitable to just be made into ordinary 3-pin sockets. It wasn't the previous occupant at all!

We left the sockets alone.

PigletJohn Tue 18-Aug-20 12:32:37

changing the plugs on your lamps is a simple job, and the correct thing to do.

Justanother123 Tue 18-Aug-20 12:56:14

Definitely change the plug on your lamps. You can buy the round pin 5amp plugs from b&q. We have them in our new place and once done they’re fab!

PigletJohn Wed 19-Aug-20 09:10:32

I don't know what they cost in retail outlets. Here is an example of a trade price (ex-VAT). Note that this correct example has plastic insulation at the ends of the live pins.

There will be an electrical wholesaler in your town, possibly on an industrial estate. I expect you will be buying a dozen, or 20.

Avoid Ebay or Amazon imports.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in