Retirement planning

(7 Posts)
madcatladyforever Mon 17-Aug-20 11:04:54

I moved to Somerset last year from the SE for an NHS promotion.
I really miss the sea. Currently living in mid Somerset as its handy for all my work locations.
I want to retire to Porlock but fear it may be a bit far from supermarkets and amenities so I'm thinking about Minehead.
It looks nice as I drove through but does anyone know if its rough or not. I want to feel safe.
I know about Butlins already. Anyone live in or near Minehead?

OP’s posts: |
SunshineChatter Thu 20-Aug-20 16:54:00

Have you tried local Facebook groups? There is a large one dedicated to Taunton. They may be able to help.

Salome61 Thu 20-Aug-20 17:54:43

There's a marvellous house for sale in a tiny lane in Minehead - just off the main street with it's few shops. I'm not going for it as I think it will take a lot of heating, and I have to wait until 2023 for my state pension.

Dinosauraddict Thu 20-Aug-20 22:32:51

I grew up in Somerset. I would never live in minehead.

ZaraCarmichaelshighheels Fri 21-Aug-20 00:44:25

Interesting Dinosauraddict my husband loves it and is trying to convince me to move there, can’t say I’m overly keen but the houses on the sea front look quite nice and reasonably priced considering the views, what don’t you like about Minehead?

Dinosauraddict Fri 21-Aug-20 06:04:31

Firstly I love being by the water, but they're cheap because it's a deprived and run down area, with a lot of antisocial behaviour imo.

ZaraCarmichaelshighheels Fri 21-Aug-20 10:04:33

Thank you, will let DH know, he loves North Hill in particular.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in