Replacing a Gas Fireplace

(7 Posts)
PianoPants Sun 16-Aug-20 11:40:47


This may be a silly question, but I've just bought my first flat and want to upgrade the dated stone fireplace surround and gas heater. But where do I start? I need someone to remove the existing one and disconnect the gas and then install the new one. Would this be an electrician? How do I go about arranging this? And is there just one person/company who does the whole shebang or do I need different people for the different stages i.e disconnection, removal etc. Sorry... I've just never had to deal with any of these things before and I'm a tad useless. All advice and help welcome. Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
PianoPants Sun 16-Aug-20 18:32:21

Anyone got any advice for a complete novice?

OP’s posts: |
PigletJohn Sun 16-Aug-20 18:42:58

if you want to have a gas fire, you need a Registered Gas Installer.

They are not usually keen on gas fires. Some are only qualified on boilers. Shops that sell gas fires usually employ or know one.

The chimney will need to be checked for size and free flow, and, if sooty, to be swept. Yours may not meet modern standards.

The fires with open gas coals are attractive, but very inefficient. The ones with a sealed glass window, the reverse.

If it is on the ground floor, you may be able to have one with a balanced flue through the wall instead of a chimney, it will need a sealed glass front.

You can also get some designed to resemble iron stoves that can look realistic.

There are some flueless gas fires, they vent the steam and fumes into the room so need extra ventilation. Many gasmen refuse to handle them, although the number of people and pets suffocated by the fumes in UK is quite small.

Zebrahooves Sun 16-Aug-20 18:44:30

We bought a gas fire from a specialist fireplace and fire company.
Our fireplace wasn't as awkward to remove as yours, but they did the whole job.

PianoPants Sun 16-Aug-20 21:42:24

Wow, @PigletJohn I didn't know there was that much involved! To be honest it's quite a warm room. Do you reckon my best bet would be to have the whole thing removed if I'm not that bothered about it? Alternatively I could get it removed and just have a decorative fireplace.

To have it removed will I still need a gas installer?

OP’s posts: |
PianoPants Sun 16-Aug-20 21:42:46

P.s thanks so much for your replies. Very useful!

OP’s posts: |
PigletJohn Sun 16-Aug-20 23:01:39

yes, to cap off the gas safely. If you are sure you will never want a gas fire again, you could have it capped off at source - removes the risk of someone nailing through a floorboard into the pipe in years to come.

You could put an ornamental electric "fire" in the cavity if you want. Or fishtank. Or winerack. Or bullion safe. Or bookshelf. Or cat bed.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in