Selling house - don't have windows or boiler installation certificates

(22 Posts)
unicornparty Sat 15-Aug-20 19:00:19

Had boiler and windows /doors put in when I moved in back in 2007. Our buyers solicitors have asked for installation certificates but I have no idea where they are. What happens in this situation?

OP’s posts: |
sbplanet Sat 15-Aug-20 19:51:30

Don't know, not much I guess. Tell your solicitor you don't have them and let them convey that info. They might try and get you to obtain copies? I'd tell them you don't remember who did the work...but then I'm old school and things are different nowadays. I'm sure someone else will have more info. smile

Thecatisboss Sat 15-Aug-20 19:55:09

If the windows were fitted by Fensa registered company then the certificates will be online and you can get copies (for a fee) I think. Door as well so long as its over a certain proportion of glass I think.

mineofuselessinformation Sat 15-Aug-20 19:58:52

Contact the companies who did it and ask for copies.

Thecatisboss Sat 15-Aug-20 20:00:18

The boiler registration should be on gas safe register website and copies can be ordered for £6.

unicornparty Sat 15-Aug-20 20:08:20

Thanks all. I checked the FENSA register and the GasSafe register and neither are on there. They were installed in 2007 so not sure if they'd be on there. I've asked the companies that installed them but I doubt they'd keep records that long.

I'm worried it'll hold up the purchase.

OP’s posts: |
Lemonylemony Sat 15-Aug-20 20:09:04

We’re buying and our solicitor has advised that the existence of these certificates on a register is satisfactory, personally I’d prefer the vendor had just paid the minimal fees to get copies, it would be more reassuring that they weren’t trying to hide anything. The fact that they didn’t have them to hand makes me wonder what else about maintaining the house have they been disorganised/slapdash about. If the vendors had just got the copies from the register themselves I wouldn’t even know they hadn’t kept them.

Your solicitor should be advising you this surely?


boredboredboredboredbored Sat 15-Aug-20 20:10:56

You'll usually be asked to provide indemnity insurance which the solicitors can organise. I've just done it with a front door I had fitted.

Lemonylemony Sat 15-Aug-20 20:12:17

If you don’t have the certificates as a buyer I’d be asking for a current gas safety check & indemnity for the windows

unicornparty Sat 15-Aug-20 20:14:11

Is a gas safety check different to a boiler service?

OP’s posts: |
DysonDiva Sat 15-Aug-20 20:50:23


Is a gas safety check different to a boiler service?


JacobReesMogadishu Sat 15-Aug-20 20:54:21

Yes, you can get indemnity insurance. I don't have certificates for either and won't be able to get them do when we come to sell will need to do this.

Findahouse21 Sat 15-Aug-20 20:56:15

13 years is a long time ago though, not like they'd be under guarantee, and we'll within the realms of potentially needing replacement/repair soon so as a seller I'm not sure ivd be happy to pay for indemnity on that basis

nettytree Sat 15-Aug-20 20:56:42

We didn't have window certificates when selling our flat as the very useless management forgot to do something when they were replaced. Paid a small fee and got them.

pollyhty Sat 15-Aug-20 21:03:12

This happened to us. Solicitor sorts out indemnity insurance, no delay to the sale at all.

Mumtumwobble Sat 15-Aug-20 21:18:06

We had to get the boiler serviced and a safety check done then we had to take out an indemnity insurance policy. It wasn’t very expensive.

FAQs Sat 15-Aug-20 21:24:04

I’m selling my 2007 house, certificates have expired, boiler is serviced annually so I’m providing the latest one. That’s all I’ll be providing.

rottiemum88 Sat 15-Aug-20 21:28:28

I'd suggest getting a gas safety inspection done and providing the certificate from that. Regarding the windows, your solicitor can arrange an indemnity policy

lazyakita Sat 15-Aug-20 21:40:52

This thread made me realise we had a brand new back door fitted about two years ago that's over 50% glass and I wasnt given a FENSA certificate and nor is it registered. I had no idea I needed one at the time sad It's really excellent quality so I'm wondering if it's worth contacting the company who fitted it, or the local authority to have it inspected?

LightAsTheBreeze Sun 16-Aug-20 06:46:24

Gas boiler and electrical installations are on the Council building control webpages as they are notifiable works, though 2007 may be too old and i don’t think it is a full certificate just a reference no that it was done but maybe better than nothing

Thinkle Sun 16-Aug-20 10:55:12

Solicitors seem to love a good fensa certificate drama! This is where we got to in our understanding from the last sale/purchase we did:
fensa a self certification by the approved fitter that it meets the standards and means you don’t need building regs approval. If a window was fitted as part of a project that itself had building regs you don’t need fensa.
Fensa lasts 10 years so don’t offer an indemnity! You can usually prove when they were fitted from the permitted development records.
Re gas we didn’t have the Cert for that on the sale but our boiler was installed as part of a conversion with full buildings regs. I just supplied the latest service records. There is an equivalent self certification on installation for boilers but I don’t know how many years it lasts. If it’s less than 10 the there is no point in them asking for it.
My experience is solicitors ask standard questions and you have to unpick the detail yourself, I.e. they will always request a fensa and has cert.

Flygirl94 Sun 16-Aug-20 15:11:23

Selling at the minute, our windows were put in in 2004 by the previous owner. Managed to get the fensa certificate from the website still and paid £25 for it (although windows are that old and not under warranty so useless) but they do hold the records for that long if they had one

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in