Street light

(6 Posts)
madcatladyforever Sat 15-Aug-20 12:03:04

I only ever say my new home in daylight and now I've moved in I've realised the street light shines directly into my bedroom window and renders that room unusable.
I've been sleeping in the back room (I have three bedrooms to myself) but I'd really like to be able to use the big room as my bedroom.
I've tried black out curtains but the light srill comes in around the edges and I'm not keen on blinds although this may have to be an option and I can't lie in bed and look at the night sky.
I'm wondering if local councils are amenable with either moving the light or keeping it turned off after a certain hour. When I lived in the south east all of the street lights went off at 10pm and it was ppitch black but this one stays on and bright all night.
Anyone got any experience with street lights on this issue.

OP’s posts: |
FiveShelties Sat 15-Aug-20 12:05:23

I have seen some street lights with a panel at the back which I assumed was to block out the light for the house behind the light. Could this help?

WhoWouldHaveThoughtThat Sat 15-Aug-20 14:02:23

Fit a blackout roller blind within the window reveal, and use your black curtains too. The blind can roll away and will hardly be visible. If you have a pelmet (if anyone still does) you won't see the roller blind at all.

Last ditch effort fit reflective film to the window - may look a bit odd from the outside so expect a visit from the police you think you have got a cannabis farm. grin

madcatladyforever Sat 15-Aug-20 14:22:41

Hahahaha I don't need a raid the old ladies in the close will have a fit, it's all over 50's here including me, by accident rather than design.
Useful tips thanks and I'll ask the council about the light diffusing panel.

OP’s posts: |
BruceAndNosh Sat 15-Aug-20 14:23:26

Copied from FixMyStreet

Streetlight pollution (light trespass) counts as a statutory nuisance under the Environment Act 1990 (section 79.1.fb) and a section 82 notice should be sufficient to spur the council into action.

ALL streetlight designs are shieldable.

Some councils are cheeky enough to try and charge residents for shields. In that case a section 82 notice should be sufficient to change their minds.


There are a number of suggesting wordings for a notice but keep it polite and formal as the notice itself is a legal document. There's a cost for filing in county court but you'll be able to claw that back.

bookgirl1982 Sat 15-Aug-20 14:25:34

Maybe try a blind as well as curtains - either a well fitted roller or a perfect fit type which clips on the windows.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in