Block of Flats Management Company query

(7 Posts)
Turgha Fri 14-Aug-20 19:38:47

Hello. I live in a block of 4 flats which are managed by a Management Company and have a query about what they are responsible for. If there is a leak in the roof, the external repair is paid out of the maintenance fund that all 4 landlords pay into equally. But what about any damage inside a flat caused by a roof leak - would the maintenance fund also cover that? Or is it up to the landlord to pay for the internal paintwork?

OP’s posts: |
senua Fri 14-Aug-20 19:46:30

Your lease will tell you who pays what.
It's then up to them whether they pay or try to claim off their/someone else's insurance.

Elieza Fri 14-Aug-20 19:56:19

Is that not what house owners and landlords pay buildings insurance for?
If it’s stuff inside the house rather than damage to wallpaper or fitted flooring presumably it’s a contents policy you’d need.

Then the insurers would seek to get money back from whomever caused the damage so if the roof leaked because the maintenance company didn’t maintain it properly they’d sue them. I’d imagine?
If nobody was negligent and it was nobody’s fault then no money could be recovered.

Turgha Fri 14-Aug-20 20:07:25

It's mainly damage to paintwork on the internal walls due to a roof leak. I don't think the building insurance covers it as presumably they would say it's due to a lack of maintenance on the roof.

OP’s posts: |
Clymene Fri 14-Aug-20 20:08:10

When I lived in a flat my buildings insurance I paid for my flat paid out for damage caused by an external leak.

filka Fri 14-Aug-20 20:16:25

I would have thought that the landlord's buildings insurance would cover that.

But if you're a tenant then it doesn't really matter, it's up to the landlord to fix and work out how (or whether) to recover the cost.

Turgha Fri 14-Aug-20 20:29:05

Thanks for the replies. I am the landlord. From what you say, it sounds like it is the responsibility of the Management Company to pay for the repainting (either via Insurance company or maintenance fund) as opposed to me.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in