Packing boxes

(12 Posts)
Fennelandlovage Fri 14-Aug-20 18:07:03

Hello - we are moving soon for the first time in quite a while. We have lots of books, tools and breakables and just a lot more stuff than last time we moved. Whose boxes are strongest and best value? Any other tips for protecting furniture etc. Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
user1471528245 Fri 14-Aug-20 18:16:24

Don’t know whose are best but Buy boxes of the same size, removal men hate having to fit in lots of odd shape boxes, also put breakables in draws in with your clothes and make sure all drawers your taking are full as it saves on boxes, better still pay the removal company to pack for you it will save you so much time And you’ll get less damage because they do it all day everyday, assuming you use a reputable company, and if you’re moving yourself, good luck, you don’t realise how much stuff you have Acquired until you Have to move

PaulaSmith1 Fri 14-Aug-20 18:18:08

Are you using a removal firm? They usually supply packing cases for you.

You dont want big boxes for books because they are too heavy - pack a few books with other lighter things or use smaller boxes for books.

Go down your local supermarket - they usually give away fruit and wine boxes which you might find useful for packing within larger boxes - to protect breakables.

isseywith4vampirecats Fri 14-Aug-20 18:41:02

we found when we moved an easier way of moving books was putting them in permanent 50p aldi shopping bags as they have handles easier to pick up

Fennelandlovage Fri 14-Aug-20 19:08:34

Oooh some great suggestions already thank you - keep them coming because I have a feeling I will be overwhelmed once I start.

CatAndHisKit Fri 14-Aug-20 19:20:45

user I'm interested in you advice aout packing breakables in drawres with clothes - clever! As I have lotds of those, I think I should try it when I move - but I'm concerned that removals men will say this makes the chests of draweres too heavy? or are they used to this method?

CatAndHisKit Fri 14-Aug-20 19:21:15

sorry about the million typos!

Advertisement

Basillify Fri 14-Aug-20 19:26:02

We bought packs on Amazon and they were quite cheap. Last time we moved we did the whole trying to gather them for free from supermarkets etc but it was hit or miss with quality, condition and size. The small expense on Amazon was well worth it for the convenience. They're nice and sturdy and seem to be holding up well with all our stuff.

toomanyplants Fri 14-Aug-20 19:29:25

I used laundry bags, like Ikea bags for a lot of the stuff, and OH works for Tesco, I had dozens of crisp boxes!
What was really handy was a wide gun type tape dispenser for strengthening and closing, think it was about £10 from amazon

boredboredboredboredbored Fri 14-Aug-20 22:03:09

Ikea have two big boxes for £3.50 I've always found them pretty good

Fennelandlovage Fri 14-Aug-20 22:29:14

Any tips for records? Old school I know by they are so heavy.

Salome61 Fri 14-Aug-20 23:00:08

I bought the 18x 12 x 12 double sided boxes from www.kitepackaging.co.uk for all my books, and a slightly larger size for everything else. I'm short with short arms, the ones my removal company gave me were as big as me!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in