Talk

Advanced search

Open plan living area - flooring

(17 Posts)
bellissimiaow Thu 13-Aug-20 23:06:34

We're in the process of having an extension which will give us a large, open-plan living area with bi-fold doors onto the garden. It will have a kitchen, lounge area and dining area all in the same space.

What flooring do you have for similar areas? We don't want tiles or carpet and real wood is too expensive which leaves laminate or LVT (which I know nothing about) Can anyone explain the difference, and recommend suppliers please? Or any other tips for open plan flooring?

OP’s posts: |
Peachi82 Fri 14-Aug-20 07:04:30

We've opted for engineered wood (to be fitted soon) for our whole downstairs.
Didn't want to cover my house in plastic (LVT, laminate).
If you have the funds for underfloorheating throughout, then maybe tiles are an option as well?

NotMeNoNo Fri 14-Aug-20 08:36:21

I would recommend LVT. I've had engineered wood and it is lovely but would not recommend in a kitchen. Theres a good reason kitchens and sculleries traditionally had tiles or linoleum!

It will be a big outlay so worth getting plenty of samples and checking out showrooms.

WhereDoesThisToiletGo Fri 14-Aug-20 08:41:34

I opted for wood effect porcelain plank tiles in my similar extension. Really happy with it.
We have a big area rug in the sitting part to define and soften it.

MaybeIDidMaybeIDidnt Fri 14-Aug-20 08:58:48

We had Karndean, it's lovely to walk on, never feels cold and is really hard wearing...also looks amazing.

skippy67 Fri 14-Aug-20 10:43:05

We have bamboo flooring throughout our downstairs.

skippy67 Fri 14-Aug-20 10:44:31

Forgot to say, we have Marmoleum in the kitchen.

BluebellsGreenbells Fri 14-Aug-20 10:47:08

LVT are hard wearing ours came with a 20 year guarantee as we chose commercial flooring. It cleans really well and still looks new.

wohmum Sat 15-Aug-20 01:25:39

We used LVT ,moduleo brand. Love it - warm underfoot, easy to clean

Henlie Sat 15-Aug-20 07:14:14

I would do engineered wood in the living areas, and then limestone (or similar) in the kitchen area. It will still flow. You don’t need to use the same material on the floor throughout for it to be cohesive 😊.

Lurchermom Sat 15-Aug-20 07:24:40

We've got engineered wood throughout the downstairs and in one upstairs room (office). We love it! Never had any issues with it in the kitchen.

BigRedBoat Sat 15-Aug-20 07:39:09

I would go for LVTs.

Cantbutwill Sat 15-Aug-20 21:20:32

@BluebellsGreenbells where did you get your commercial LVT from, if you don’t mind me asking?

domesticslattern Sat 15-Aug-20 21:43:38

I am crazy about cork and don't understand why more people don't consider it. Warm underfoot, easy to clean and eco. I had it in a similar open plan area and it worked really well.

BluebellsGreenbells Sun 16-Aug-20 01:25:48

I actually brought it off eBay

BluebellsGreenbells Sun 16-Aug-20 01:46:40

It was left over from a commercial build.
Half the price as really good quality. Worth a search.

Cantbutwill Sun 16-Aug-20 07:26:26

Thanks, will check it out smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in