Security doorbells - brand advice...

(17 Posts)
Freeamigos Thu 13-Aug-20 17:56:03

Are ring the best on the market? If so what packages do folk recommend? Or are there any other alternative lesser known brands out that are more competitive or have better features?

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
PigletJohn Thu 13-Aug-20 22:20:40

I have no particular knowledge in this field, but "Ring" is a marketing organisation that sells electrical gadgets into the budget end of the market.

I would be very surprised if anything they sell could ever be described as "the best."

"The cheapest," maybe.

Is your question more about security cameras than doorbells?

Muppetry76 Fri 14-Aug-20 12:56:04

Look into annual fees as well

houseofrabbits Fri 14-Aug-20 13:36:57

Ring is associated with Amazon so works with Alexa. Nest is associated with Google so works with all the google devices. We have a Nest doorbell because we are a google household!

houseofrabbits Fri 14-Aug-20 13:38:04

Just to add, we opted not to pay any annual fees. I'm not sure if there was that option with Ring.

JellyBellies Fri 14-Aug-20 13:46:56

We have a ring doorbell because we are an alexa household! I don't thinks it's meant to be a security doorbell.

Ring do security cameras that I have considered but the ring doorbell is not a security device, its more for convenience.

PigletJohn Fri 14-Aug-20 20:12:34

for some reason, doorphones and video entry systems are often made by Italian companies. mine is. i don't currently have a video entry but like the idea of one that displays at the controlling doorphone and is not working over the 'net.

Spying on insecure webcams and the like is rife.

Advertisement

Freeamigos Fri 14-Aug-20 20:38:28

Thanks. I am really clueless. Really I just want a doorbell and alarm system, but can see the advantages to cameras as we are pretty remote and I simply don’t know where to start. Builder has said ring is the most popular brand he installs, but as said upthread, most likely as its cheap not necessarily good?

OP’s posts: |
hauntedvagina Fri 14-Aug-20 21:54:44

I've got a Nest doorbell and I'm quite happy with it. It was pricier than a Ring but I'm not a fan of Amazon so worth it for me personally.

I pay £4 a month for a weeks saved footage which I felt was reasonable.

JellyBellies Sat 15-Aug-20 14:49:17

I think Ring is a good option for what you are looking for as a doorbell.

SunshineChatter Thu 20-Aug-20 17:18:46

We have a Ring in our main home and one in our holiday home a couple of hours' drive away. No additional fees because we don't record. But if anyone approaches either property we get an alert on our phones and if we open the app we can see who it is via the one-way camera. We can also talk to them. If they ring the (ring) doorbell our phones ring, we open the app, see the person and talk to them. Very convenient. We bought ours from Amazon, nice and easy.

ScarMatty Thu 20-Aug-20 19:08:35

I have a ring doorbell and love it

minipie Thu 20-Aug-20 21:12:05

We decided against a Ring or Nest doorbell because we get people walking past and/or flyering on our road all the time and I didn’t want a phone notification pinging me every time! (I could turn off notifications, but then what’s the point?) So we just got a normal doorbell and a security alarm.

If we want a security camera in future we’ll install a camera, not convinced the doorbells do the greatest job as security cameras. I believe you have to pay a subscription to get continuous footage for example.

Plus (this weighed more heavily than it should) the smart doorbells are ugly...

HoHoHolyCow Thu 20-Aug-20 21:17:32

We recently bought a house with a Ring doorbell. I was dubious about it, but am actually really impressed!

We don't pay any annual fees.
It links to Wi-Fi and sends a notification to my phone if someone rings the doorbell or the motion sensor is activated. You can then open the app and talk to whoever is there.

I chose not to link it to my Amazon account.

The house also has Nest for heating etc so the two aren't incompatible!

HoHoHolyCow Thu 20-Aug-20 21:19:15

Also meant to say - the images are really clear and the sound is great. It definitely doesn't feel like a 'budget' option (I have no idea how much it cost. It's a Ring 2).

MadisonAvenue Thu 20-Aug-20 21:19:49

We have a Ring doorbell and have also installed a Ring camera at the back of the house which covers our garden, garage and drive. As others have said, the app notifies you should anyone approach the house and with the camera we can set off a siren (which is part of the camera and not a separate component) should we need to.

MadisonAvenue Thu 20-Aug-20 21:21:36

Should also say that the siren can be activated through the app.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in