Converting garage to snug / shower room

(13 Posts)
Thisyearcandoone Thu 13-Aug-20 14:57:39

Has anyone done this?
I'm looking for ideas - I'd love to see floor plans / pics.

OP’s posts: |
NewHouseNewMe Thu 13-Aug-20 17:13:10

My friend did this.
In truth, it was supposed to be a granny or au pair room but as they had neither, it was just a snug. However the addition of the en suite made it a bit weird. They didn't use it because it was annoying to clean for an infrequent "trip".

It's a study now and they still don't use the en suite!

SabrinaThwaite Thu 13-Aug-20 20:03:06

We converted a single garage into a snug - perfect for when teenagers wanted to take over the other TV for Xbox. Didn’t add any bathrooms we didn’t need any more.

When we sold on the new buyers used it as a study.

Burnthurst187 Sat 15-Aug-20 15:19:30

This is a former garage and now the forth bedroom in a house on RM. doesn't look too appealing, I don't think it has any windows either. Whatever you do I would try and have a window

Luckystar1 Sat 15-Aug-20 15:25:04

Do you really need the additional space? Garages are so handy for storage, and if you lose it, you are unlikely to gain it elsewhere.

Thisyearcandoone Sat 15-Aug-20 15:53:57

We've got a window already, so will have some light.
We're bursting at the seams here, to sell up and move we're looking at an extra 100k on the mortgage, the garage is full of crap and can be easily relocated to shed in the garden. I'm just struggling to picture it, if that makes sense!?

OP’s posts: |
SabrinaThwaite Sat 15-Aug-20 16:09:51

Here are some off the web. Generally you’d replace the garage door with a window or french doors?

Advertisement

TiddleTaddleTat Sat 15-Aug-20 16:31:39

I think it's a good idea but would think carefully about placement of windows and doors to make sure the views etc were good. If you have enough space try and keep a section for storage. Adding a toilet makes sense to me, if it's a detached garage.

Macarena1990 Sat 15-Aug-20 16:34:51

We converted our garage a few years back - currently set out as another lounge but we don't really use it.

Our plan is to divide it up into a shower room and a little bedroom for our eldest. House around the corner has done similar and when I discussed it with a builder he thought £15k should cover it - price to include a porch so that we could have separate doors for the 2 rooms so that the shower room wasn't an en suite.

Would be very interested to hear if others have done this!

Ilikewinter Sat 15-Aug-20 16:37:06

Ours was already converted when we moved in, its off the kitchen so had dining room table, sofa and tv unit etc in, we've changed it into a gym!. We have windows at either end so get lots of natural light. Its got a pitched roof so also have so extra attic storage space. Dont miss having a garage but its makes us ruthless with what 'crap' we keep!

Cecilia2016 Sat 15-Aug-20 16:54:12

We converted our garage 3 years ago into a study and we use it sometime as a visitors room.

Whaleandsnail6 Sat 15-Aug-20 21:31:37

We did this a with our garage. We had a toilet and sink put in and then a bed settee, toy storage and a TV and it doubles up as a guest room and playroom. There is no internal access from the house, which can be annoying in winter. we sound proofed the ceiling as there is a bedroom above it and it has a door and window at both front and back so is nice and light. I'm not certain if it has added value to the house if we were to sell but it's definitely a bonus room for us.

GrumpyHoonMain Sun 16-Aug-20 00:21:54

If you want to add value then, provided it isn’t a garage that can actually fit cars, a study is the best bet.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in