Painting over grease marks

(5 Posts)
Medievalist Tue 11-Aug-20 22:42:03

DS's bedroom walls have a number of marks on them - mainly from blue tac. The walls have lining paper and are then painted. I just want to slap on a coat of paint to freshen the room. But how do I stop the marks showing through? Anybody got any advice?

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Tue 11-Aug-20 23:05:55

You get special paint type stuff to paint/spray over it before painting the colour you want

RustyLeesBogBrush Tue 11-Aug-20 23:16:10

Zinsser Bin Primer.

It smells bloody godawful but it is the bees knees for covering up grease marks and stains and preventing anything else forming on surfaces.

It is dearer than most primers but don’t be tempted to go for a cheaper version like Ronseal. It is not the same, not even in the same ballpark. I use it all the time before painting because it gives an immaculate finish whilst covering up all sorts of stains.

Medievalist Tue 11-Aug-20 23:18:37

Oh that sounds good - is it okay to put on lining paper?

OP’s posts: |
RustyLeesBogBrush Wed 12-Aug-20 00:00:30

Medievalist

Oh that sounds good - is it okay to put on lining paper?

Yes. It is amazing stuff.

I papered my downstairs toilet last year and had instant regret once it was done. It was wallpaper with a raised subway tile pattern and I painted the zinsser on, left it 24 hours then went over it with matt emulsion, it looks fab, very vivid teal and it looks like it was meant to be that way. Never thought it would work, but went on some painters forums and took their advice. Have a wee google yourself if you need reassurance before you try I use it on vases, bowls, furniture I have Upcycled, can’t recommend it enough.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in