Screening above fencing

(9 Posts)
suziedoozy Mon 10-Aug-20 20:33:37

Next door (lovely family) have put in 6ft fencing which should provide everyone with privacy but due to house arrangement on side of hill it means we can see straight into each other’s gardens (there used to be a large crazy hedge). Both sides agree that more privacy would be nice - put it like this when I am on my patio I can see absolutely everything in their garden as though I’m in it!

I need trellis / some kind of permanent screening (not plants I’m not a gardener!) For two fence panels length that is about 10-12 feet high but doesn’t make me feel like I’m in a prison!

I’ve been looking at some by Screen with Envy but I’m not sure.

I would want smaller versions of the screening on the other side of the garden for 2 panels so that our lovely but nosy elderly neighbours can’t look over the fence.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Happy to spend a reasonable amount.

OP’s posts: |
Elouera Mon 10-Aug-20 20:44:35

I dont know of any additional 6ft fence/trellis you can put on top of an already 6ft fence? Surely this would need specific structural supports to prevent it blowing over in the wind? Some of those screens you mention are nice, but how would you attach that on top of your current fence? Plus, you can still see through it.

I know you aren't a gardener, but I was going to suggest bamboo grown in long, thin planter pots against the fenceline. Bamboo grows quickly and doesnt need much care.

JoJoSM2 Mon 10-Aug-20 20:47:21

We’ve got stilted hedging. It only needs pruning 1-2 times a year and doesn’t have the prison look.

FlamedToACrisp Tue 11-Aug-20 03:02:21

As a temporary fix, what about one of those sail canopies?

Maybenexttime08 Tue 11-Aug-20 07:54:40

Following with interest as we will need this in our next house!

WoolyMammoth55 Tue 11-Aug-20 08:01:44

Ok at risk of being annoying - any fence above 2m/6.5ft needs planning permission, so I think you've only got 6 inches to play with before you'll need to get permission!

The rules on height don't apply to planting so another vote for some bamboo being the answer smile

But if you definitely do want panels/screens then it'd be worth calling your local building control team today and asking them about permission and costs for raising the fencing to the height you want.

Best of luck! <3

PaternosterLoft Tue 11-Aug-20 08:07:04

You could nail gun some bamboo or other screening sheets to the fence amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XJPQ25V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_tmKmFbGVS2NZP]]

Or you can get fence post extenders to slot some trellis in - although this is more permanent and takes you past the 6 inches for planning permission. The nail gun option is obviously temporary until you can get plants growing up there.

You could place a gazebo next to the fence.

Advertisement

Rollercoaster1920 Tue 11-Aug-20 10:19:10

Pleached trees

suziedoozy Tue 11-Aug-20 20:29:52

Thank you everyone for your ideas. I am thinking about raised sleeper beds with trellis behind them that provides the privacy.

Would this need planning? Next door are quite happy for me to do it especially if I plant roses as they love them!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in