suspended floor renovation dilemma

(5 Posts)
renovationworks2020 Sat 08-Aug-20 23:26:58

Hello, I am currently getting quotes for a renovation job. We need to partially rewire and relocate radiator in hall, living and dining room. All these rooms have a suspended wood floor which has definitely seen better days, there are lots of scratches and dents.
Both the builders that have seen the work so far have suggested the floor could get damaged when lifted, as it is tongue and groove and probably glued.
Have someone had a similar experience when renovating?
Floorboards are 20mm thick and cost of replacing all the floor is going to be quite steep, although it could be an opportunity to insulate underneath the floorboards.

OP’s posts: |
renovationworks2020 Sun 09-Aug-20 09:59:31

Bumping as I've realised I posted this very late last night, thanks!

WhoWouldHaveThoughtThat Tue 11-Aug-20 12:29:29

The tongue of the first couple of boards may get damaged but after that they should be relatively easy to remove across the room. You can get reclaimed floorboards to replace any damaged ones. Often dents etc can add to the character of a floor, although that may depend on the age of the house.

Bsc8180 Tue 11-Aug-20 12:41:29

Could you lay 22mm chip then a decorative floor on top rather than having t+g floorboards put back down?
The decorative floor could be engineered wood or maybe an lvt product.
Definitely insulate under the floor if you can while its up.
As above really depends on if you want character of the existing.

renovationworks2020 Tue 11-Aug-20 22:17:55

So house is Victorian 1900, I would definitely want to have a wooded floor, hopefully they can lift most of it without too much damage!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in