Need to un-wood some of this house!!

(21 Posts)
jengles Sun 02-Aug-20 08:27:41

We've just moved into a lovely bit very wood heavy house.

The bathroom units are in good condition and love the marble tips, but would really like to paint over/calm down the pine but wonder how easy that'll be with them being fixed in the bathroom/waterproofing...pic attached

OP’s posts: |
Frenchfancy Sun 02-Aug-20 08:32:39

I can't see a problem. Make sure you undercoat and use exterior grade paint.

testingtesting101 Sun 02-Aug-20 08:41:51

I think that would be lovely painted with new knobs. It looks good quality and in good condition. Make sure you get a really good key on the surfaces (they look like they could be varnished)and undercoat etc. otherwise it will chip much sooner (learnt from bitter experience!).

AdoreTheBeach Sun 02-Aug-20 08:42:42

These could look fabulous painted and with new knobs.

Do the required prep if clean, light sand, prime and choose an appropriate paint for furniture that is either waterproof or apply a waterproof top coat appropriate for the paint.

LuluBellaBlue Sun 02-Aug-20 08:44:13

I’ve been hearing great things about French chic paint for wood like this

Puddlelane123 Sun 02-Aug-20 08:46:52

As pp says, that is crying out for a bit of chalk paint. I’m envious of the project!

BruceAndNosh Sun 02-Aug-20 08:53:33

If you want a better finish and don't mind paying a bit of money, enquire at a car repair bodyshop about getting them sprayed.

Advertisement

karmasic Sun 02-Aug-20 09:16:52

They would come up amazingly!

I personally would remove the doors from the frames to paint them - and possibly get new handles, depending on what look you like.

jengles Sun 02-Aug-20 15:55:53

Thanks guys - am definitely thinking new knobs!

The tip re: exterior quality paint is great - thought I was going to have to use bathroom paint for walls!

I like the finish of chalk paints, but have seen blogs where they talk of them chipping v easily in bathrooms.

So need to sand/prime/paint?!

Trying to work out whether to experiment with downstairs or upstairs first 😂

OP’s posts: |
Bluntness100 Sun 02-Aug-20 15:59:17

I’d be very cautious here op. I am with you on getting rid of the orange pine but I’d have them properly primed and spray painted or in a year or two they will be a chipped mess and you’ll be faced with replacing.

Boohoohoohooho Sun 02-Aug-20 16:03:03

I'm not sure it's needed but you might want to seal the knots before you paint it. I don't actually know if it's needed but might be worth you asking someone who knows.

GiantKitten Sun 02-Aug-20 16:21:39

I have some chalk paint I’m going (at some unspecified time...) to paint some chairs with, and somebody told me that waxing them with clear wax will protect them perfectly.

(She’d been tarting up an old chest of drawers so quite similar to your project)

This is the stuff - it was also recommended by the bloke who stripped & waxed some old doors for us. It’s certainly a great finish on the doors (apart from where one of the cats insists on using one of them as a scratching post hmm)

www.amazon.co.uk/Briwax-BW0601000021-Wax-Clear/dp/B00DEARZ7E/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=briwax&sprefix=bri&tag=mumsnetforu03-21&qid=1596381400&sr=8-1

Bluntness100 Sun 02-Aug-20 16:25:01

I’d not wax them, it’s a total bastard if you need to repaint, as you need to remove the whole lot.

I’d do a clear matt varnish.

Letsnotargue Sun 02-Aug-20 16:31:23

Try Owatrol Easy Surface Prep (ESP). We used it on wooden wardrobe doors and the finish is amazing. It sticks like shit to a blanket and anything you paint on top of it stays forever. Ours are over 5 years old, with regular daily use, and haven’t chipped once.

It’s a bit spendy but means no sanding or separate priming so was well worth it for me. You wipe it on, and then wipe off the excess, let it dry and paint over it. Couldn’t be easier.

NamedyChangedy Sun 02-Aug-20 16:38:20

Letsnotargue - sounds like a great product, do you think it would work well on wooden floors that have been varnished?

Mortgagehelp2020 Sun 02-Aug-20 16:44:20

You won’t have to replace them if the paint chips you can sand and repaint.

Frenchic would be a good alternative to chalk paint and and varnish on top. I would sand, clean with sugar soap let dry then use frenchic. I’m jealous, it looks a lovely project.

Gatekeeper Sun 02-Aug-20 16:49:10

if you want to tone the orangey down but still want the woodgrain to show through you might consider coloured varnish?

www.valsparpaint.co.uk/products/interior-wood-metal/valspar-interior-wood-varnish/ comes in loads of different colours

OldFloweryCardigan Sun 02-Aug-20 16:49:32

I have done this exact project on a very pine-heavy bathroom I inherited. Painted the whole lot white, with a really good undercoat (try Zinnser or that aluminium primer which will block any trace of orange-ness coming through), and then two layers of white eggshell. It looks SOOO much better and has taken the room from very early 2000s to really timeless.
If you're not into DIY, there companies you can get in to spray-paint built in furniture eg. kitchens & fitted bedrooms.

OldFloweryCardigan Sun 02-Aug-20 16:50:32

^ Just to add that I have had no problems with chipping and it's been 5 years.

ZaraCarmichaelshighheels Mon 03-Aug-20 00:47:58

Boohoohoohooho

I'm not sure it's needed but you might want to seal the knots before you paint it. I don't actually know if it's needed but might be worth you asking someone who knows.

Was going to point this out myself, the knots will need treating or they will come through.

dontcallmelen Mon 03-Aug-20 19:34:11

Yy Zinsser primer/undercoat I would use a good quality eggshell rather than Frenchic I don’t find it particularly hardwearing, my go to eggshell is either Mylands or Littlegreene which you can wipe down or even scrub easily my kitchen cabinets have been done in both over the years & no chips or flaking.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in