Getting a disabled bay moved

(9 Posts)
Faith1630 Sat 25-Jul-20 14:50:46

My family and I are looking to buy our first home but it's on a bend on a busy street so parking is a nightmare. It would be possible to drop the kerb and put a drive in the garden but there is currently a disabled bay where the entrance to the drive would need to be. There is another bay a few yards down the street and there is room to move the bay back a few feet to give room but the council won't get back to me (I appreciate it's probably not their top priority). Does anyone have any experience of this and know if it's possible to have it moved a bit? Whether we buy the house or not is dependant on if we can create a drive. Thank you in advance!

OP’s posts: |
GrumpiestOldWoman Sat 25-Jul-20 14:58:04

Was the disabled bay putside the house possibly put there at the request of the previous occupant? It might not need moved so much as removed.

You should be able to find something on the council website about applying for one, which might give you a contact to discuss procedure for removing.

Only other thing is that if it's a bad bend it might be less easy to get permission to make an access out onto it, which presumably you'd need before council would drop the kerb...

ChristopherTracy Sat 25-Jul-20 15:14:42

Yes it depends if the disabled bay belongs to a particular owner who still lives there.

Faith1630 Sat 25-Jul-20 15:52:08

Thank you for your response! The space belongs to one of the residents who currently resides in the street. I don't want them to not have it, just for it to be moved back a few feet. I am hoping the council will allow the kerb to be dropped... Buying a house is so stressful! Lol

OP’s posts: |
Shurl Sat 25-Jul-20 16:41:17

Honestly, in your situation, I'd walk away from the house. I would imagine that getting your neighbour and council to both agree to move her spot would be a difficult and drawn out process, if indeed they would even entertain the idea.

Knittedfairies Sat 25-Jul-20 16:49:23

I agree with Shurl; there must be a reason it's not outside the resident's house.

MashedPotatoBrainz Sat 25-Jul-20 16:52:49

Having experienced the nightmare of getting a disabled space put in and the time involved, I reckon you've got next to no chance of getting them to move it a few feet this side of the next millenium.


Regulus Sat 25-Jul-20 16:54:15

I have found the council to be particularly obtuse when it comes to parking bays dropped kerbs. It will cost you a minimum of 2k but probably more and I wouldn't trust them even if you get it in writing. Plus if it's on a bend in a busy street they probably won't allow a driveway as pulling out would be dangerous.

Whatthebloodyell Sat 25-Jul-20 16:55:37

Sorry but I can’t see this happening! If you really need off street parking then I would look for another house.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in