Fell in love with a house and ours isn’t even for sale

(18 Posts)
Mummypig2020 Fri 17-Jul-20 23:01:33

What would you do?

It’s literally round the corner from us. It’s so cheap for the area too.

Ahh no idea what to do!

How do you even sell a house? Do we need a lot of savings to sell? If we make money on our house do we have to put All of it towards a new house?

We bought ours brand new and it all happened so fast and easy.

OP’s posts: |
BammBamm Fri 17-Jul-20 23:08:51

Ahhh we've been there. From starting to look it took us 5 years to actually move.
The answer is it depends! It depends how quickly yours can get to market and sells, how quickly the other house would sell etc.
They probably wouldn't accept an offer unless you had sold your house or had alternative funds in place.
You would save SDLT on the purchase if it's under the threshold and no it doesn't cost a lot to sell if you don't want it to. Conveyancing fees and estate agent fees, although we just sold our old house free through an online agent. Our purchase fees were more, but we had SDLT as completed before the change.

Onemorerep Fri 17-Jul-20 23:34:23

We've just done this. We only wanted to move for a forever home so didn't want to sell first then be rushed out the current home with nowhere to go or be pressured in to something we didn't love. We had our own house ready to sell but hadn't instructed an EA. We found a house we loved, had an offer accepted on it, put our existing home on the market within a week and it sold days later. We're moving in six weeks. Everyone said it would never work for us that way and we'd need to sell first before anyone would entertain us but it just didn't suit us to do that. I guess it might have been a comfort to the seller that we stay in an in demand area where properties tend to sell fast. Just because it's the most commonly done thing doesn't mean it's the only way to do it.

GreenTulips Fri 17-Jul-20 23:38:01

Ring an estate agent
See the bank
Work out finances

Any equity you have can be used either all or part to fund the new house. You can hold some back to pay the solicitor or moving fees stamp duty or renovations

As long as LTV works

morriseysquif Fri 17-Jul-20 23:39:01

Do show us!

Mummypig2020 Sat 18-Jul-20 07:27:31

This is it!

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-94579871.html

Toomanycats99 Sat 18-Jul-20 07:41:44

Why is it so cheap for the area......? Issues or are they just desperate to sell quickly?

Advertisement

Flamingolingo Sat 18-Jul-20 07:49:37

It’s possible to do (and we’ve done it) but it’s not necessarily easy. When we bought this house we weren’t for sale. It was a random look at a house we thought was interesting. We had our offer accepted, but it was an offer that matched 3 other people. We are in a race to go sstc. The ace in our pack was that we had an absolute easy sell of a house, desirable, doesn’t come up that often, completely modernised and extended, in a sought after area. It was sold within 24h of hitting Rightmove. But it was nerve wracking getting to that point because we knew that someone else could go sstc in that time or someone else more proceedable could come along as viewings didn’t stop until we got our offer sorted.

Flamingolingo Sat 18-Jul-20 07:50:14

Contact the agent the house is on with, that will give them incentive to make it work for you over someone not on the market with them

Burnthurst187 Sat 18-Jul-20 07:55:05

We've seen a house that we like but as our's isn't on the market yet we aren't allowed to view it. We were told by the estate agent that the government have told them only serious buyers can view because of Covid. Not sure if true

I've contacted an EA about valuing our house

boredboredboredboredbored Sat 18-Jul-20 08:01:29

This happened to me too a few weeks ago. I'm relocating from Brum to Shropshire next year. Went on a day out there to explore the neighbourhood and saw a lovely house in a superb location. Viewed it a week later then put mine up for sale. I am in the catchment of a sought after school plus fully modernised mine 3 years ago when I bought it. Had 4 offers within a few days.

Sale and purchase now proceeding. The only thing I would say that if it's in a popular area then it'll likely sell fast. The one I'm buying is very niche as although it's a very popular area it's small, perfect for me but not for families so it wasn't selling quick.

JacobReesMogadishu Sat 18-Jul-20 08:05:02

I was in this position.

We had our house on the market the following week and sold it 2 days later to first viewers.

Moved into the house I’d fallen in love with about 9 weeks later!

Get some estate agents round to yours for valuation.

Alpacamabags Sat 18-Jul-20 08:08:42

It's unlikely to be accepted in the current climate but we knew how saleable our current house was due to location as did the people we wanted to buy from. Because of that they accepted an offer on condition of our sale and took theirs off the market. We sold 10 days later.
It is a big ask of the vendor though and to be honest I'm still surprised they did that for us.

GameSetMatch Sat 18-Jul-20 08:09:47

Is it the house you like or the decor? If it’s the Decor then it would be cheaper concentrate on decorating your home rather than moving. The house just seems like a house to me just quirky decor, but each to their own.

Mummypig2020 Sat 18-Jul-20 08:20:44

It’s the house as much as the decor. Our house is decorated in a similar style. We love the fire places etc and have always wanted a town house.

istheresomethingwrongwithme Sat 18-Jul-20 08:24:43

Covid restrictions at the moment state that you have to be procedable (so SSTC or nothing to sell) to view a property. So get yours on the market ASAP!

Allthepinkunicorns Sat 18-Jul-20 08:31:47

We went to view a house that was perfect for us before we had our house on the market and unfortunately it sold so we are now in the process of putting ours up for sale. Houses in my area that are decorated nicely are selling within days at the moment. Also alot of estate agents won't let you view a house unless your house is up for sale or your a first time or cash buyer because of Covid19. Get your house up forfor sale.

TheGriffle Sat 18-Jul-20 08:36:12

We have not been allowed to view lots of properties despite ours being on the market. From estate agent valuation to online it took just over a week using Housesimple (no estate agent fees) ours went on the market this Thursday and we have our first viewing booked in for Monday. Hoping it will sell quickly so we can start looking seriously. We have found a couple of estate agents that are allowing us to view 2 of the properties we like so we’re keeping our fingers crossed for a quick sale on ours.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in