replacing socket - bad idea to do it myself?

(7 Posts)
jobnockey Tue 07-Jul-20 15:17:34

We have a double socket on which only one side works. (it's been like that for ages but have managed with a 4 way plug in thingy until now - it would be handy to be able to use both sides as want to plug a wifi extender into the other side. So, two questions which maybe someone here can help with!

1. if i already have a 4 way socket extender coming out of one side , is it a good idea to add something else to the same socket? (DS has playstation, monitor and a lamp plugged into the extension lead.

2. Is it easy enough to replace it myself or is that just stupid and should i get an electrician in? (have just watched a youtube video and seems easy enough but it seems a bit scary!).

anyone with any more knowledge than me around?!

OP’s posts: |
LemonBreeland Tue 07-Jul-20 15:19:36

It's easy enough to replace one yourself. We bought ones with usb ports in recently to replace some of ours, to stop every socket being used for chargers. It's quite a simple job, just remember to turn the electricity off for your sockets first.

PaulaSmith1 Tue 07-Jul-20 16:17:23

How about getting a 6 way plug in thingy?

mencken Tue 07-Jul-20 16:43:38

if you don't know enough to have already turned off the power, removed it and found out why one side doesn't work - and clearly you don't - then find an electrician.

walksen Tue 07-Jul-20 17:10:18

Likely the socket is broken. Under electrical regulations you are allowed to change them yourself.

Sockets are tested/ built to provide 20A as opposed to 26A. The stuff you've plugged in already is quite low power. E.g a13a plug can provide around 3000W.

As pp have said Turn the power off before you touch it and make sue everyone knows not to turn it back on until you have finished. There are plenty of guides on YouTube etc.

Ive changed a few and some of the problems I,'ve encountered is one of the screw terminals seized solid so I had to cut one of the cables.

If someone has run a spur so the socket has 3 sets of wires not 2 it can be more difficult to screw the wires in especially if the cables are either too short or too long so they need carefully folding before you can get the socket back flush.

Someone securing the socket with a woodscrew so I had to replace the back box.

Overall I'd say I've had electricians in to do some tasks like adding sockets to the kitchen and I'm not sure what a sparky would charge but if it was 40 quid granted they could check circuit readings etc but I'd feel like wasted money on something I could have done myself.

jobnockey Wed 08-Jul-20 13:23:27

mencken

if you don't know enough to have already turned off the power, removed it and found out why one side doesn't work - and clearly you don't - then find an electrician.

Thanks mencken, I don't know if you intended it to you but that came across as unnecessarily snarky.

As it happens, I suspect it is the switch which is broken as it doesn't quite 'click' when you press it (old socket, been like that since we moved in). But you're right, until I remove the socket I won't know for sure. Which is why I asked the question.

Walksen - that's really helpful. i think I'll give it a go and if it looks beyond my capabilities I'll get a pro in. I am the same though if it's something I can do myself I begrudge paying for it!

jobnockey Wed 08-Jul-20 13:25:04

PaulaSmith1

How about getting a 6 way plug in thingy?

Hi Paula,

I did consider this but the extension lead is in one corner of the room whereas we could do with a power outlet in a different place too, if that makes sense!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in