What type of shower is best?

(2 Posts)
GorgeousLadyofWrestling Sat 27-Jun-20 13:04:16

First time home owners, completely clueless. We have no shower at all - just a bath. I had intended to get mixer taps and change the taps but the bath is so old, no one (me, DH and two different plumbers) can get the old fixings off. Really, we need to just rip the bath out straight away.

But if we do that, we might as well change the whole suite as it’s all so old. But we can’t afford to do that just yet. So. Thinking about having a shower plumbed in.

We are in a ground floor flat with one bathroom. There’s two adults and three young children - children tend to have baths but likely to have showers as they get older. We have this system boiler - www.baxi.co.uk/our-boilers/system-boilers/baxi-megaflo-system - and a hot and cold water tank.

Does anyone have more than a clue than us over the best kind of shower to have installed? I don’t really understand the difference between a mains, electric or power shower.

OP’s posts: |
MrsMcCarthysFamousScones Sat 27-Jun-20 14:03:15

We moved into our current house and it had an electric shower, our previous house had a thermostatic mixer shower which was really good. When the electric shower failed here we were really short of funds and cost was a huge issue so we just bought a mixer shower. I regret not paying a bit more and getting one with thermostatic control though as, if someone turns a tap on in the kitchen, the shower goes cold. The one we had in the previous house didn’t. If you go for electric or power shower you will also have an electrician to pay as well as a plumber.

Link here with pros & cons & what you need to consider wrt boiler type/water pressure etc

www.plumbworld.co.uk/blog/what-are-the-different-types-of-shower

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in