New front door cost

(32 Posts)
Mizydoscape Fri 26-Jun-20 20:47:55

Our house has a super old wooden front door with gaps round all sides that let in the cold and the woodlice(!). It is also solid and the hallway is dark so glass in the door would be nice. We are considering replacing it with a uPVC door but have no idea what we would expect to pay.

In case it matters; the house is super old and nothing is straight in here. There is also an original stained glass window above the current door, Im guessing this would complicate matters slightly?

We are in the South West.

OP’s posts: |
Mintjulia Fri 26-Jun-20 21:00:04

I had a uPVC front door installed in Feb. It has AAA insulation, 8 bolt locking and two diamond lights in the top. Black outside, white inside and brushed steel furniture. I think it cost about £1100 installed.

It came with a custom steel frame that was made for the space. My house is old too

My hall was toastie warm In March smile

MrsMcCarthysFamousScones Fri 26-Jun-20 21:02:46

4 years ago mine cost £800. My house isn’t straight either and had a glazed panel at the side.

Just google local companies, read reviews, then get 2 or 3 of them round to quote so you can check out prices. You are under no obligation and, with Covid restrictions, you won’t have to have them in your house for 40 mins giving you the hard sell so it’s the perfect time!

LuckyMarmiteLover Fri 26-Jun-20 21:06:26

I would not put a upvc for in a super old house 😱

TattiePants Fri 26-Jun-20 21:07:44

I replaced a door with similar problems to yours last year. From memory it was approx. £1,00 for a composite door fitted although I'm in the NE.

Mizydoscape Fri 26-Jun-20 21:11:02

@LuckyMarmiteLover why not? It would go with the windows grin

Qc16 Fri 26-Jun-20 21:21:56

Mizydoscape

*@LuckyMarmiteLover* why not? It would go with the windows grin

I’d change the windows then ;) - I agree look for a reclaimed door that matches the period of the house.

Advertisement

TheGirlOnTheLanding Fri 26-Jun-20 21:26:56

Cost varies so much depending on what you want and the size, you need to get quotes. We ended up paying over £3k for ours - but it's big, solid timber, in a non-standard size so needed to be made to order, so we just thought, ok, if we need to spend a lot on this anyway we might as well go all out. So we got exactly the style we wanted and designed a stained glass panel and everything. It was a lot of money (that we should really have spent on other stuff, like a new carpet) but I love it, it's the first impression you get of the house, and it makes me smile every time I pull into the driveway.

terriblyangryattimes Fri 26-Jun-20 21:44:15

Three years ago we replaced a completely ancient wooden door and a glass panel above it with an aubergine coloured upvc jobbie and double glazed top panel for £1195.

DangerCake Fri 26-Jun-20 21:57:54

We’ve been quoted 2800 for a double door, hardwood with a lot of glazing, includes frame and fitting, not including hardware.

IAintentDead Fri 26-Jun-20 22:18:26

I would look at composite doors rather than UPVC.

They are a lot more secure, more choice of design and more choice of colours. So you can get a door that looks real but has the benefit of modern insulation.

You could even buy your door separately and just get a local fitter in to fit - could be quite a bit cheaper but it is a bit more of a risk. At least if you know the cost of the door you want before you approach a company you do know what they are charging to fit.

ivfbabymomma1 Sat 27-Jun-20 07:19:28

I think ours was about £2k for a composite door.

20viona Sat 27-Jun-20 07:30:44

2k composite door including fitting.

TheUnquestionedAnswer Sat 27-Jun-20 07:33:24

Be careful with composite doors, as you can't cut them to fit like a solid door.

BikeRunSki Sat 27-Jun-20 07:37:54

Composite door + fitting was around £1500. I say around because we had French ribeyes done at the same time. The door came it’s own frame which was gutted into the various quirks of the door space, so that the door then fitted perfectly.

We’ve had the new door about 18 months. I had reduced our either heating bill about £10/month.

Westiegirl3 Sat 27-Jun-20 07:46:05

We've recently had a composite door fitted with new frame for £1500

OliviaBenson Sat 27-Jun-20 07:51:33

I'm with @LuckyMarmiteLover I'm afraid. Could you get a joiner to repair it? UPVC is horrible in old houses!

NotMeNoNo Sat 27-Jun-20 08:05:32

I would get a quote for getting your old door refurbished, draughtproofed and a double glazed panel putting in. That's the great thing about wood, it can be mended, trimmed, repurposed and restored.

Mizydoscape Sun 28-Jun-20 08:48:15

Thank you for suggestions. We have some trades coming next week to quote for us.

Wavey123 Sun 28-Jun-20 15:50:23

Please don’t replace it with UPVC, I’d save the money (for matching windows!), sort out the door surround and insulation if there are gaps. When you come to sell the house it will be worth SO MUCH MORE than if you replace original stained glass with pvc

WoolyMammoth55 Sun 28-Jun-20 17:39:24

Yes FWIW I'm with the "repair don't replace" team on this one. We've just bought a house with serviceable and energy-efficient upvc front door and are on the point of replacing with a refurbished period one, including stained glass! The original features DO add value.

Mizydoscape Sun 28-Jun-20 20:51:54

I'm certainly not intending to the replace the stained glass window just the door and frame beneath it

LBOCS2 Sun 28-Jun-20 21:00:16

Have a look at Geleta doors - they do some really good made to measure stuff and will also make up stained glass to match existing if you have it.

gigchuckedout56 Mon 29-Jun-20 07:45:42

We paid £950 for composite door with 3 square glass windows in it, new frame plus hardware 4 years ago.

OliviaBenson Mon 29-Jun-20 08:28:39

You might not be able to keep the stained glass though with a upvc door frame if it's an over light. Do you have a photo?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in