What have we unearthed behind the wallpaper?!

(10 Posts)
Eslteacher06 Fri 26-Jun-20 20:11:12

We have took the wallpaper off the wall because we are redecorating and the paper was coming off the wall anyway. I have noticed these black spots on picture 1.

The wall feels dry but the paper smelt musty. Is there anything to worry about?

The chimneys did leak a few years before we bought the house and the old owner had to wait a long time for the neighbors to fix it.

I think we should repaper, but my husband thinks we can paint it with anti mould primer.

Wwyd?

OP’s posts: |
slipperywhensparticus Fri 26-Jun-20 20:12:20

It looks like mould I would clean it with a mould cleaner in the first instance

Flamingolingo Fri 26-Jun-20 20:14:36

I think that’s mould, and you should just treat it. I’m not sure painting previously papered walls is a great idea, we have ours lined because the wall is usually damaged by taking the paper off

PigletJohn Fri 26-Jun-20 20:15:53

the black is probably mildew.

Is it on a chimneybreast that is not ventilated top and bottom?

Eslteacher06 Fri 26-Jun-20 20:19:47

It has a chimney breast on the neighbours wall and the chimney was capped off. It's along the whole wall though? Not just the chimney section.

PigletJohn Fri 26-Jun-20 22:15:38

then there must be another source of damp. Is there a bathroom above? How high above the ground does the damp stain start and finish?

I couldn't make it out in your photo.

Stripping off the wallpaper will be better because it will allow damp to evaporate off the wall.

PigletJohn Fri 26-Jun-20 22:18:03

Is that new pink plaster on the bottom half of the wall where a "damp proofing" company has been having a go?

Advertisement

LordOftheRingz Fri 26-Jun-20 22:22:01

You need to make sure if it is a sealed chimney that it is vented at the bottom and the top...or you are in for a whole heap of issues....you may even get the Salts.....sad

Eslteacher06 Sat 27-Jun-20 00:17:32

@PigletJohn - it's not new plaster. I'd say it's been there a while but done more recently than the rest.

@LordOftheRingz I wondered about that! There are two chimneys. There are vents in the top two bedrooms but not downstairs. I don't know about next door (where this wall is) but they 'own' the chimneys. They got a lot of damp from the storm damage that led to the chimneys leaking and being capped off.

LordOftheRingz Sat 27-Jun-20 09:56:51

I would be checking the ownership, I would assume that you own any chimney that comes from your breast. Houses that are sharing a stack of two flues are usually both liable for the maintenance.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in