Two Houses...which would you pick

(31 Posts)
Bells3032 Thu 25-Jun-20 12:01:41

Both in similar areas

House A - in perfect condition. On a main road but slightly set back. Only 7 years old and beautiful. More than big enough for us. On the edge of good catchment for three good schools. Lovely garden. However, it's about a 20 minute walk from the station and high street (I reckon I will only be communing 1-2 days a week in future but my husband commutes). However, there is a bus literally outside that takes you to the station but it's a bit round the houses. Husband could cycle though. And about a 30 minute walk from my dad and sis who i am close to.

House B - on at 150-200k cheaper but needs to be refurbished etc. Also probably larger than we really need. Could just manage with repaint and re carpet but I'd prob redo kitchen and bathrooms etc to be happy and maybe consider a loft extension. Garden is small. Only in catchment for one good school and a couple of very poor ones. Also on a main road. However, it's a 5 minute walk to station and station and about a 15 minute walk to my dad and sister.

We are currently just married and living in a flat belonging to my in laws so could still live here whilst work was done. We are looking to have kids within the next couple of years.

Or do we just sit and wait and hope for something else?

OP’s posts: |
Rainbowqueeen Thu 25-Jun-20 12:06:28

Do you need to move quickly?? If not I’d wait but let local agents know what I’m looking for so they can get in touch if anything suitable comes up

WitsEnding Thu 25-Jun-20 12:06:44

I'd go for house A, I've always found that 20 min walk a blessing twice a day. Caveat: if you think you'll be dropping future children to childcare as part of your commute, make sure that is feasible.

Bells3032 Thu 25-Jun-20 12:08:37

Not looking to move quickly at all. We are also chain free and very flexible.

OP’s posts: |
DXBMermaid Thu 25-Jun-20 12:10:28

House A.
It sounds perfect.

daysofpearlyspencer Thu 25-Jun-20 12:10:55

2o minute walk seems ok, can be a good de stresser after a commute. How important is a garden going to be going forward with a family? Do both have adequate parking? This can be an issue living within walking distance of a station, I have experience! Word of warning, don't be fooled by modern houses that look all shiny and perfect though on balance I would go house A. You can't really make a garden bigger or change a school.

daysofpearlyspencer Thu 25-Jun-20 12:12:21

If in no hurry take your time. You are in a great position to do a deal.


flirtygirl Thu 25-Jun-20 13:29:20

House B as house A is already on edge of the catchment and they change and often shrink. I would not be paying a premium for schools, only to have no schools by the time I have children.

Also house B schools may improve and it simply too early to judge as you don't have children yet.

House A being perfect would put me off as I'd always want to do my own thing and not pay to undo nicely done work and others choices.

As long as it's a nice area still, house B being bigger and cheaper would swing me. Also closer to station and to your family. Commute plus walk/cycle or bus would get tiresome quickly for me.

Oopsiedaisyy Thu 25-Jun-20 13:32:11

Go A, buy a bike.

BrieAndChilli Thu 25-Jun-20 13:35:54

Can you put links on so we can have a look.

mumdone Thu 25-Jun-20 13:58:06

A, a ride would take 5-10 minutes plus it’s exercise

Africa2go Thu 25-Jun-20 14:09:23

Neither (unless you're prepared to move again when you have children).

"On the edge" of a good catchment means, as a pp has said, that you're more than likely to be outside of the catchment by the time you have children wanting to go there.

And I would never buy a house on a main road if I had children / was planning a family.

BoxAndKnife Thu 25-Jun-20 15:00:30

We can't possibly decide without links grin

OneNewName Thu 25-Jun-20 15:04:47

Are the walks doable with a buggy/double buggy? If both are, house A.

Bells3032 Thu 25-Jun-20 15:16:24

sorry no links for now. Both are currently off market, House B likely to be coming off later this week. House A is a friend of my sister who is selling privately

OP’s posts: |
sassysoul Thu 25-Jun-20 15:32:40

If house B was renovated (and within budget) which would you pick then?

Bells3032 Thu 25-Jun-20 15:36:28

I honestly don't know. House A is less convenient but in a nicer area to walk and better schools catchment. House B is very central and easy to walk.

I am starting to think neither is a good option for us and we should just wait until the right thing comes along. We are currently in a good position living in a mortgage and rent free home with no chain to speak of for us. It's just very anxiety causing when we have no idea what the market is gonna do and have no idea if anything else is gonna come up

OP’s posts: |
Africa2go Thu 25-Jun-20 15:46:00

I think you're right to wait. Honestly, what you want from a house pre-baby and post-baby are massively different. If you're in a mortgage free property I would just save and wait & see what comes onto the market.

steppemum Thu 25-Jun-20 16:12:50

wait. Even if you go ahead and start a family, you can still move later.
If you can wiat at the moment there is no way I would move.

I think prices may do strange things, everything is so uncertain, I would wait.

Added bonus, if you are rent free, you need to save that amount every month, so in a year or so you will have added a really good chunk to your potential cash pot for a house.

oreoxoreo Fri 26-Jun-20 12:28:44

House A without a question!

Desiringonlychild Fri 26-Jun-20 15:10:26

@Bells3032 I would wait. From your previous postings, I think this house is in north London? I am expecting prices to fall across the board so its probably better to wait.

However many of the people who own these north london houses have been there for absolutely yonks and so don't need to sell. But i guess you only need 1 desperate seller.

whiteroom Fri 26-Jun-20 15:35:02

Neither to be honest.
Main Rd would put me off both - noise fumes etc, and I wouldn't choose to live next to a bus stop. If you're not desperate to move yet I would hang on.

PantTwizzler Fri 26-Jun-20 15:35:10

Neither. I would never buy on a busy road. I would also be looking at the orientation of the house. South or west facing garden is crucial for me and something you can’t change.

seenbeensbean Fri 26-Jun-20 18:18:29

House A. We do need a link though.

Tinythumbelina Sat 27-Jun-20 15:55:24

House B everytime for me

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in