Paint peeling off walls?

(7 Posts)
ellifjg Mon 22-Jun-20 19:50:38

I have a few days off work to decorate. This morning I clean and empty room to be decorated. Fill holes, cracks etc. Wash walls with sugar soap.

Paint starts to peel. Wash more, more is coming off if I rub it.

Pretty sure whats happened is that when DC's dad decorated 10 or so years ago and room was newly plastered, he's not done a mist coat.

So that's the problem how do I solve it?

I've tried peeling but the pieces are finger sized. With that and sanding ive done 50% of 1 wall in 8 hours. I need to get all the painting done and room back together in th next 48 hours, how do I resolve this please? I am at my wit's end and really after weeks of shit this is the last thing I need 😭

OP’s posts: |
Loofah01 Tue 23-Jun-20 09:07:03

Scrubbing with something abrasive or sanding... It's not a good job. I might be following in your footsteps soon as my in laws wanted to help out in our newly plastered house and despite being told several times its a mist coat, stop putting it on thickly they refused and now we'll see...

Rollercoaster1920 Tue 23-Jun-20 10:08:20

Wallpaper scraper if it is that bad.

Rollercoaster1920 Tue 23-Jun-20 10:09:59

Although sandpaper will also scuff up any too-smooth plaster giving a better surface to paint on. I scraped, sanded and filled old old paint and pva off a room in our house. It took ages but has given a really good and durable paint finish now done.

ellifjg Tue 23-Jun-20 10:25:08

It's too thin to come off with a scraper. I can't keep sanding it because the dust is making my chest hurt. I've spent 2 hours this morning and done less than a foot squre. I'm going to have to try and most coat over some of it and hope it doesn't look too bad.

OP’s posts: |
Ballllzac Tue 23-Jun-20 11:06:50

I’ve used a stabiliser on hard to paint surfaces before which made it much easier. I rate everbuild
www.everbuild.co.uk/product/406-stabilising-solution/

Ballllzac Tue 23-Jun-20 11:07:13

You have to sand down thoroughly first though!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in