Talk

Advanced search

Finalising kitchen refurb - what have I forgotten

(128 Posts)
Comefromaway Sun 24-May-20 01:15:11

After starting a kitchen refurb 3 weeks before lockdown things are finally moving again. I’ve got to finalise the design etc.

I’ve picked the style and basic layout but what have I forgotten. (Don’t say a wine rack I had one before & it was just a dust gatherer. I’ve got a lot of nice china so asked for glass display units. The kids wanted a small breakfast bar.

Comefromaway Sun 24-May-20 01:16:48

Oops I’ve put the same pic on twice.

Remmy123 Sun 24-May-20 08:40:56

I feel awful saying this but the layout looks really disjointed to me esp the little bit sticking out with the stools? I think you need to see another kitchen designer unless you are happy with this then ignore me!

lolawasashowgirl Sun 24-May-20 08:46:22

I agree with the previous poster - there's something not quite right with the breakfast bar. Again I don't mean that rudely!

lolawasashowgirl Sun 24-May-20 08:49:19

Have you got a floor plan that shows the kitchen from above as well?

WelshMoth Sun 24-May-20 08:49:36

I have a plate rack which I find invaluable. Thinking of moving soon and compiling a list of kitchen stuff I'd like to have again. Plate rack is one of them.

I like your generous amounts of storage. That's the biggest thing here for me. I really want at least 3 deep storage drawers for tins and pans etc.

What about building in a food waste hole (with collecting bin beneath)? A boiling water tap?

Trying to think!

Sleepingboy Sun 24-May-20 08:53:52

Yeah the breakfast bar just looks odd. Especially when there is a table right nearby. Can you do that with an island? It will be annoying having it stuck out there in the middle.
Built in bin was my best move.
Your sink is in an odd place also. You are ruining that nice long run of worktop space where you could do baking etc, with a sink bank in the middle, when sinks are usually in front of the window.

Sleepingboy Sun 24-May-20 08:56:07

In face I've just seen your second pic and you haven't got a good worktop area that side either! Move the glass cabinets right to the left, and then you will have more open space. When you remove the breakfast bar it will be much better.

To be honest, both sides look really unworkable. It's a terrible design. Sorry. And I've just done my kitchen .

LovingLola Sun 24-May-20 08:58:53

The breakfast bar will annoy the hell out of you after 24 hours

ClaudiaWankleman Sun 24-May-20 08:58:59

I also agree with PP about the breakfast bar - it doesn't seem integrated into the overall design. There's quite a lot of wasted work surface towards the back of the space - you won't want to put anything there as it will be a bit lean over to get it from whichever angle you come from.

A moveable butcher's block/ island cart type thing might flow better in the middle of the space and give your kids the breakfast space that they want, and you'd easily be able to get rid of it when you want the big space for having people over.

whensmynexthol1day Sun 24-May-20 08:59:23

I inherited a big kitchen with very little useable work surface near the job which is where I do all my prep. Looking at your kitchen I think you may end up with the same issue as me! Particularly if the kids are using the breakfast bar whilst you're trying to cook.

HappyHoppyHippo Sun 24-May-20 08:59:47

I like the breakfast bar, think it will come in handy.
I also think the sink would look better under the window.

20viona Sun 24-May-20 09:01:35

I don't like the placement of the breakfast bar at all sorry.

Heronwatcher Sun 24-May-20 09:04:18

Yep I would have a rethink of the breakfast bar and maybe replace it with an island which is separate from the run of units and where you can do food prep facing the room, with stools to the other side. I would also consider replacing the cupboards to the left of the cooker with more pan drawers which I much prefer and which are so much easier to use. On the other run of units could you move the sink so it can face the window rather than a wall? Personally I would love a wine fridge (not a rack), 2 dishwashers and a hot water tap, and in my next kitchen I am going to have my ovens and a fitted microwave in a column so that they are eye level/ just below eye level (no need to be scrabbling about on the floor to look in the oven). We currently have a pull out larder and underfloor heating, both of which I love. Good luck!

WelshMoth Sun 24-May-20 09:17:49

Heron any chance of seeing your pull out larder?! I'd love a larder but haven't the space - hopefully something we'll factor in on our next home.

OP - I once rented a converted farmhouse for a family holiday with a large kitchen and the biggest thing I fell in love with was the space on the worktops. I don't have this at home despite having a bigger than average kitchen.

Go for what's workable. Your plans look nice but other posters here have a really good point.

MacavityTheDentistsCat Sun 24-May-20 09:38:50

A few small points:
- The sink looks the wrong way round to me. Are you lefthanded? I'm righthanded and it's more natural for me to pick up dirty dishes from the right and put clean ones down on the left.
- I would take out the overhead sink cupboards. I think you'll find them oppressive in no time.
- The wall cupboards each side of the extractor fan open the wrong way. The handles should be towards the fan so that, when cooking, you can open the cupboards and immediately see the contents rather than having to dodge your head around the door to look in.

areallthenamesusedup Sun 24-May-20 09:40:24

I really do not been to be rude but IMO it doesn’t seem to flow. I really would recommend seeing a different designer, a new kitchen is a massive investment, It’s worth getting it right. See a new designer, tell them what you need and let them come up with a design from scratch rather than fiddle with this one. You may land back on this. I have very very few cupboards, loads of drawers, I love it, Life is so much easier finding stuff.

WhereDoesThisToiletGo Sun 24-May-20 09:56:42

Deep drawers (I have 1 shallow, 2 deep repeating across 5 wide units) are wonderful. I would never go back to base cupboards.
They do jack up the price.
Agree that the breakfast bar looks odd.
What found useful was imaging daily life in planned kitchen. Ie I'm clearing dishwasher while kids are at breakfast bar.... Are they in the way? Can I unpack the grocery shopping at same time as DH is cooking?..... Yes as all food storage is in only 2 places, fridge and larder.

BrandoraPaithwaite Sun 24-May-20 10:01:09

I don't know how to do a link in the app but I've got a thread going in Chat at the moment called "What is your absolute must-have for a great kitchen?" and I've had some great ideas. Take a look?

I'm a bit behind you OP I'm just starting the design.

BrandoraPaithwaite Sun 24-May-20 10:03:03

For me, that little breakfast bar would have to go. Kids can sit at the table! Or look into an island with a couple of seats.

GrumpyMiddleAgedWoman Sun 24-May-20 10:06:35

I agree with PP about the breakfast bar - do you even need it with the table right there?

One thing we have in our kitchen that I'd always have again are half a dozen small drawers - for pet meds, keys, painkillers/basic first aid, spare shoelaces, string, keys - all the oddments that have nowhere to go normally.

MrsMoastyToasty Sun 24-May-20 10:10:29

It will be a nightmare to access the cupboards above the breakfast bar. The single glass one looks strange there too.
Not a fan of glass fronted cabinets. We have one double one. My plan was to display my best china but it's also ended up as an overflow for some battered old biscuit tins .
I would place the sink under the window.
Where is the fridge going to be? If I was you I would have a tall fridge. We have an under counter one and whilst it's ok I dread to think what it would be like if I was less mobile.
Do you have a separate utility or have you got your washing machine and tumble dryer in the kitchen.
I wouldn't have a breakfast bar or island. I would have a large kitchen table so you can move it as needed.

Comefromaway Sun 24-May-20 10:24:36

The sink can’t be moved. It was originally meant to be under the window but it won’t quite fit there if we want a dishwasher as well. The dishwasher is a slimline one in the first cupboard by the back door. When the plastering is done measurements will to checked to see if a full size one will fit.

I’ve always had a left hand sink and Dh is left handed.

The bottom drawer is a pan drawer. I said no plate racks. I like to keep my plates inside a cupboard.

I don’t like islands. We asked for the small breakfast bar for the kids. Their request.

I’m Thinking of having more of the cabinets over the breakfast bar as glass fronted. And possibly not enough drawers.

wishingitwasfriday Sun 24-May-20 10:40:44

Could you move the breakfast bar to the far end above the radiator and have it so you'd overlook the window when sat at it? You will be fed up of walking round it in no time if you leave it where it is. It also limits your food prep space and the cupboards above will be hard to reach.
It's like the designer hasn't given any thought to use or look of the room and has just dumped the breakfast bar in the first available space.

Comefromaway Sun 24-May-20 10:49:59

The fridge and freezer will be in the The units by the fridge I’m not tall enough for a tall one and There is nowhere to fit one snywY. Washing machine & tumble dryer will be in what is currently the car port next door.

My last house had glass fronted cabinets and I loved them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »