Talk

Advanced search

Help! My smoke alarms have hay fever

(5 Posts)
YesThisIsMe Sat 23-May-20 16:38:58

We have three smoke alarms wired into the mains on the ceiling of each landing. With the recent good weather the windows have been open a lot, and they all keep going off all the time (several times a day) and need the button pressing to send them back to sleep. No smoke coming in that’s detectable by the human nose.

I think the oldest alarm is the culprit - I’ve applied the vacuum cleaner to it but that doesn’t seem to have helped. Reluctant to get a professional in to replace it in the current circs. Any other ideas?

Idododoidadada Sat 23-May-20 17:30:55

Spider in it affecting the sensor? Back up battery running out of power?
Maybe instead of trying to vacuum it get some canned air & spray any dust out.

www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Duster-Compressed-Flammable-400ml/dp/B000MQ7DZC?pf_rd_p=f21c46a0-d441-5f65-8774-ceba7e5f7bdf&pf_rd_r=5695RW8JH9P3C0N9DG94&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-10&pf_rd_t=BROWSE&ref_=s9_apbd_orecs_hd_bw_bDb4IZ&tag=mumsnetforu03-21&pf_rd_i=200927031

YesThisIsMe Sat 23-May-20 17:53:34

Spider is a brilliant suggestion. Maybe I’ll investigate when the DC aren’t around - I can’t see them being sympathetic to a plan that involves throwing babies out of their nest.

Grumpyunleashed Sat 23-May-20 20:02:08

@YesThisIsMe
I have found that all smoke alarms have a finite life and they then pack up. They then loudly announce they have died by happily bleeping at you.
This has happened to me with both battery and mains powered alarms.

Turned out that the only solution involved a handy bin and purchasing replacements. Bother.

YesThisIsMe Sat 23-May-20 20:12:45

Yes having investigated further we think it’s just well past its sell-by date so have removed and are going to put a new battery powered one up. Doesn’t explain why it only ever went off when the windows were open though: that shall have to remain a mystery.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »