Talk

Advanced search

Farrow and ball undercoat - timber panelling

(4 Posts)
Finlaggan Thu 21-May-20 11:46:22

Hi, I’m going paint timber panelling in our hall in F&B De Nimes. I have a tester of Estate Emulsion which has applied well and given good coverage. Do I need to use F&B undercoat? The timber panelling has had a light stain at some point so it’s ‘wood’ colour currently (kind of mid brown).

If I do need to use the v expensive undercoat, anyone know if I should use wood undercoat or wall undercoat? Was planning to use Estate Emulsion as I’d like a Matt finish.

Thanks in advance.

AppleTree16 Thu 21-May-20 13:14:55

Yes I think you do need undercoat for everything but especially woodwork. Have you sanded it down as well? We decided against F&B for woodwork as the reviews online were terrible - things like it took forever to dry etc. Went with Mylands instead and it’s been great (two coats of primer and two coats of top colour, plus some minor touch ups).

SNDDecorating Thu 21-May-20 20:35:17

So depending on what you want the paint to do, you would probably get away with it if it was on say a sideboard that won't be getting beaten about. If you want a cheaper option than the farrow and ball undercoat, most decorators merchants will mix Johnstones in farrow and ball colours, and it doesn't really matter because you are covering it up with the legit stuff.

Their Eggshell paints are also a matt finish and more suitable for woodwork.

As appletree said you should give it a quick sand over just to give yourself a nice fresh surface, 9 times out of 10 you don't need to go too mad. If it is a stain it would be a good idea to do two undercoats, and make the first one a bit thinner with some water (if you are using water based) because the wood will drink it and a thick undercoat just makes your job harder.

To be honest the arguments for and against F&B Paints are everywhere, but in my personal opinion, their paints are very good, maybe not fully worth the price tag, but very good. Most of the time though, it is a better option to just get the colours mixed in a cheaper paint.

Finlaggan Fri 22-May-20 22:56:42

Thanks both. We will give it a light sand. Good tip on a cheaper undercoat I’ll check that out. I’m a F&B novice and I love the colour, fingers crossed it turns out as planned!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »