Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

House names/numbers

(8 Posts)
Katsma Sat 15-Sep-07 01:50:52

I live in a house with a name, no number, in a street with about 20 other 'named' houses. It is also set back from the street so the house name is too far away to be visible from the road. We don't own the land adjacent to the road, so can't put another sign up there.

Over the three years we've lived here, we've required emergency services several times, and each time there has been a delay because they couldn't find the house.

Not to mention the hundreds of times that parcels have failed to be delivered because they couldn't find it.

In fact, the only person who can find us is the pizza delivery man grin

Has anyone ever succeeded in having their street 'numbered'?

Have tried phoning royal mail, but they appear to only employ morons wink grin

mamama Sat 15-Sep-07 02:17:16

Maybe someone at your local council could help, if they own the street?

Katsma Sat 15-Sep-07 02:26:18

Perhaps mamama. I had ruled them out really, as the street has other 'issues' that they have failed to take any action on.

You're right, I suppose I need to approach them as well.

Thunderpants Sat 15-Sep-07 20:38:52

We managed to get ours changed FROM a number to a name. The problem was we live on a tiny road off another street. we were numbered 1a - being next to number 5(???), but there is also a 1a on the street next to us and we were always getting their mail.

since we've had a name it's solved all the confusion.

I think we had to talk to the local council, and it did take a while for all the computer systems to be updated, but it was worth it. I think you have to make a case for it, so it might be a good idea to get all your neighbours to sign up to the idea too.

Nbg Sat 15-Sep-07 20:41:49

You can do it but you can only have a name or a number, not both.

We have a name on our house but theres huge confusion with us and our neighbours who are a pub, so we use the name too.

When I spoke to Royal Mail they said you have to contact your council about it first and then call them back to get the ball rolling.

Katsma Sat 15-Sep-07 20:48:27

Thanks for those posts smile

Looks like I'll have to brave it out with the council then. Can't wait! hmm

newgirl Tue 18-Sep-07 19:12:13

sure you can have a number and name if you like? who would care? i imagine it is a bit tricky to add a number but fingers crossed with the council - maybe ask other neighbours to join in the campaign?

RTKangaMummy Tue 18-Sep-07 19:15:52

One of my DH friends is at number 5 but they decided to give their house a name so they called it BRAMLEY

So now it is "BRAMLEY" 5 LONDON ROAD,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now