Talk

Advanced search

Sitting Room Flooring - Best for selling

(9 Posts)
RedheadBaba Thu 13-Sep-07 20:21:26

We're in the middle of preparing our place for selling at the moment, it's a 2 bed modern semi so most likely to be sold to a young couple, maybe with one child or planning a baby.

We've got to change the flooring in the sitting room, what is currently the best bet - laminate or carpet?

Also what would you put in the hallway, laminate or the same carpet as the stairs?

TIA

newgirl Thu 13-Sep-07 21:16:47

i think the sensible thing would be to check out what the neighbours have got and ask an estate agent

personally i hate laminate in a living room - it looks cheap and nasty - ok if you have stripped floors or real oak or something - if not, then a neutral carpet for me!

RedheadBaba Thu 13-Sep-07 21:45:22

Thanks - neighbours are a mixture of carpet (light or dark) and laminate.

Can't face getting estate agent in yet.

I will put down 1 in favour of carpet grin

MadLabOwner Thu 13-Sep-07 21:46:56

I would go for laminate in the hall with a nice runner and a plain pale-ish carpet in the living room.

wotamidoin Thu 13-Sep-07 22:33:21

laminate in living room and hallway, neutral carpet up the stairs(not practical but looks nice for selling)

Alva Thu 13-Sep-07 22:37:26

Another vote for carpet - not a laminate fan.

heifer Thu 13-Sep-07 22:50:04

another laminate hater I'm afraid..

So would have to go for carpet (although hate them also)...

Would much prefer to buy a house with carpet it, so I can pull them out and either sand the floors or put real wood down..

For some reason I would feel it was wrong to rip up laminate and would proberly live with it but hate it (well until I have accidently damaged it enough to justify pulling it up)..

So after all that waffle I would say

Laminate in hall way
carpet in Lounge..

thank you for listening (well reading)

Sidge Thu 13-Sep-07 22:51:41

I would want laminate in hall (easier to keep clean) but carpet in lounge (nicer to sprawl on/let baby crawl on etc)

RedheadBaba Thu 13-Sep-07 23:28:16

Thanks all, going to go down the carpet route in the sitting room and laminate in the hall.

I think my folks actually have some good quality laminate left over from doing their study which would go in the hallway nicely - even cheaper!!!! grin grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now