Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone sold in England then bought in Scotland in one transaction?

(7 Posts)
hairycabbage Thu 26-Mar-20 17:00:21

We currently live in England are planning a move to Scotland. We have to sell our house here and want to buy there but understand how different the systems are and how precarious a position we are in if our sale is delayed/ falls through.
Does anyone have any knowledge/ experience of this and can recommend a way of doing it without temporarily being in a rented property in between selling/ buying? My worry is not being able to transfer the mortgage and having to take a new one as we are on a good deal for now.

(Obviously we aren't planning this imminently but hopefully when everything settles down somewhat we can start making plans. Also, clearly there are bigger issues in the world right now but focusing on things I can control and look forward to is working for me in keeping anxieties down!)

user1487194234 Thu 26-Mar-20 21:44:07

Given that the Scottish system is turning into the same as the English system this is not as big a problem as it would have been previously

Bowerbird5 Thu 26-Mar-20 23:57:24

I have done it the other way around. I had two solicitors.

user1487194234 Fri 27-Mar-20 06:31:05

The other way round is easier as contracts in Scotland traditionally were binding at an earlier stage Unfortunately that is not really the case now
You would need a Scottish and an English qualified solicitor

randomsabreuse Fri 27-Mar-20 06:44:05

You can put in a conditional offer in Scotland, but if it's a competitive market it will struggle to be accepted! We offered high on one house which was not accepted before giving up and renting. There is no minimum length for a tenancy in Scotland so you can rent month by month with no hassle!

randomsabreuse Fri 27-Mar-20 06:44:40

You've usually got 6 months to port the mortgage.

hairycabbage Fri 27-Mar-20 13:25:00

Thanks all. It's really useful. We're going that as soon as the country starts moving again we can start making plans so I wanted to get my head round it. My worst fear is being committed to a house purchase there, ours falls through and we're stuck with a double mortgage!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »