Talk

Advanced search

How can we find the stopcock ?!

(16 Posts)
LIZS Wed 05-Sep-07 16:49:52

Had a plumber here this morning and we could not find it in any obvious place - under sinks, utility , boiler room. Even got the architect's plans out btu ti was nto marked. I did eventually find the inlet point/meter by calling the water co (not that it looks as if it has ever been read hmm since it is hidden under a bush) but there must be a stopcock here somewhere too. Any ideas ?

policywonk Wed 05-Sep-07 16:51:14

Do you have the paperwork from when you bought the house? This info is often included in the information given by the seller to the buyer.

In our last house, it was under the floorboards near the front door.

TellusMater Wed 05-Sep-07 16:51:39

We had the same problem. Unfortunately water was pouring out of the washing machine cold water feed at the time hmm
DH eventually found ours behind a false tile in the downstairs loo...

LIZS Wed 05-Sep-07 16:51:53

Good thought, will have a rummage !

Slubberdegullion Wed 05-Sep-07 16:54:19

Do you have a fireplace? We had an old cottage with a back boiler behind the fireplace and that's where we found the stop cock (to the side of the fireplace not in it).

Slubberdegullion Wed 05-Sep-07 16:54:59

I just said fireplace 3 times, not v wordy clever was it?

we had this same problem. Eventually we found it outside in the back garden. do you have any loose looking slabs? try lifting them up.

policywonk Wed 05-Sep-07 16:57:33

Basically, lift up your house and any outbuildings and have a bit of a look.grin

LIZS Wed 05-Sep-07 16:59:35

lol . Nothing in the paperwork. House 14 years old so no back boiler etc. Odd !

TellusMater Wed 05-Sep-07 17:00:17

And do it before a pipe breaks grin

LIZS Wed 05-Sep-07 17:09:19

Another rummage under sink later. There is a big red tap which assume should look like it . However it is positioned on a junction between the supply to the sink and what looks like the inlet to the dishwasher and an earthing box. How I didn't see it earlier I'm not sure except it is tucked at the back behind the white waste pipes. Does that sound like it ?!

policywonk Wed 05-Sep-07 17:12:27

Sorry, wouldn't know a stopcock if it punched me in the face. However, if your house is only 14 years old, could you contact the company that built it?

LIZS Wed 05-Sep-07 17:16:46

It's not a main builder, more of a kit form made to order type, and the company who supplied it are no more apparently.

LIZS Wed 05-Sep-07 18:23:01

looks like this! is that it ?

WriggleJiggle Wed 05-Sep-07 18:34:14

Yes, that looks right.

LIZS Wed 05-Sep-07 18:37:29

Cheers , will show plumber when he comes back to fix the taps we have yet to buy !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now