Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend damp paint

(21 Posts)
Butwhhhyyyyyyy Fri 14-Feb-20 19:58:55

Hi, my north facing DC room has condensation damp, does anyone know which paint is best to cover it?

DC has asthma and allergies so would have to be chest friendly paint. Has anyone used any before and which kind, do they work?

Thanks in advance

PigletJohn Fri 14-Feb-20 20:14:04

No, because paint does not cure condensation.

PigletJohn Fri 14-Feb-20 20:15:06

Ventilation, however, does.

How do you dry your washing?

Butwhhhyyyyyyy Fri 14-Feb-20 20:27:12

Hi piglet John, I have a tumble drier in an outhouse, don't dry washing inside due to both DC asthma, we have opened up a blocked up vent to the outside and put a vent in a blocked up chimney breast to dry it out, I leave the window on vented but still can not get rid of it. It's all over 2 wall, 1 outside and 1 interior.

PigletJohn Fri 14-Feb-20 20:39:44

Do all rooms get condensation?

How old is the house?

Where is the bathroom, and how is it ventilated?

Have you got a water meter?

How long do you open the bedroom windows every morning?

bingbangbing Fri 14-Feb-20 20:40:48

Have you had your roof checked?

Butwhhhyyyyyyy Fri 14-Feb-20 20:54:51

Not at the front as much as the back of the house, just round the windows a bit, bathroom is next to the bedroom and also gets condensation even with the extractor fan, house is approx late1960's. The windows are on vented all day and open when it's warm enough. Have had the roof checked and gutters all are ok, I have loft insulation but it does not go all the way under the eves above the windows so could be cold up there. Had this problem for 15 years since I have lived here.

Butwhhhyyyyyyy Fri 14-Feb-20 20:59:58

Should say the house is ex council and the top half if the house is rendered.

Moreisnnogedag Fri 14-Feb-20 21:09:17

We live in an old stone cottage and get damp walls where the stone is below the ground level. We’ve used bathroom paint (Dulux) and it looks loads better. I have no idea if this is an absolute rubbish thing to do Or not (or if we are just storing up trouble for ourselves) but it looks fine grin

PigletJohn Fri 14-Feb-20 21:10:25

Condensation on an internal wall is not very common unless there is a lot of humidity.

Can you post a photo of your bathroom fan? Does it come on with the light switch and does it have an overrun timer?

Do you get condensation on the windows?

There may be a water leak, especially if damp room is next to bathroom. Relevance of water meter is that it can indicate a leaking pipe or radiator (but not a drain). Showers often cause damp on tiled walls and along the top line of bath or shower tray.

Can you get in the loft to look at water tanks and pipes, and sniff for damp?

If roof insulation was the cause you would get pattern staining on the ceiling and possibly black mould.

If the house is empty when you go away, is damp worse or better on return?

Butwhhhyyyyyyy Fri 14-Feb-20 21:55:20

Will do my best to answer, the fan has a separate switch and is not on a timer, we switch it on and off, the humidity is not bad I think and we had the bathroom replaced last year and no leaking pipes, I will check the loft and see and have a look round up there, the damp is no worse when we come back from away but I have to wash the walls down with bleach water at least once a month,.

Yes we get condensation in all the upstairs windows, there are black mould spots on the bathroom ceiling by the roof joist, hopefully then picture will load.

Butwhhhyyyyyyy Fri 14-Feb-20 21:57:29

Pic

PigletJohn Fri 14-Feb-20 22:24:20

I can't make out the brand of the fan, but it looks like a modern one so should be quiet, and economical on electricity. Can you take a photo of the vent on the outside of the wall please? If you hold a smouldering cigarette, joss stick, or a square of loo roll close to the fan, do you see it being sucked towards the grille?

Turn it permanently on for a few days and see if bathroom damp reduces.

It will probably run for about 120 hours on 15 pence worth of electricity.

If you get condensation and mould on the ceilings, improve loft insulation. This is quite awkward on sloping ceilings, but not impossible.

Butwhhhyyyyyyy Fri 14-Feb-20 22:29:12

Thank you for the advice, I will post a pic of the outside of the fan tomorrow in daylight and will leave the fan on.

Butwhhhyyyyyyy Sat 15-Feb-20 16:03:33

Best photo I can get of the outside of bathroom fan,the interior wall is like an exterior wall as next door is not heated that side as an elderly person lives there and does not use that room.

PigletJohn Sat 15-Feb-20 17:29:02

it looks like the type that has three little flaps like venetian blinds, is that right?

Do the flaps open when the fan runs?

(that type is prone to rattle annoyingly in strong winds, until the flaps fall off. If you ever need to replace it, I suggest a Cowl Vent, which is more weatherproof)

SpicyPopcorn Sat 15-Feb-20 17:40:08

We get condensation on very cold nights (temperatures below freezing) on just one north west facing wall in our bedroom. Nowhere else in the house is affected by condensation, so I can only assume it's because it's the coldest place in the house and the walls are not insulated (it's part of the original house, rather than the extension), compounded by us breathing all night and releasing water vapour into the room. We ventilate, heat, don't dry washing indoors, cook with lids on - the whole works, and it still happens.

We were starting to get mould growing on the wall so I used Zinsser paint on it which (so far) has prevented the mould coming back.

PigletJohn Sat 15-Feb-20 18:57:17

best cut down on that breathing

but also have a look at the outside in case there is a dripping gutter or other cause, and at the loft insulation in case there is a gap, allowing cold air to cascade down from the ceiling.

Uninsulated walls can get strikingly cold. Having a radiator or oil-filled heater against them may help a bit. It is possible to line with insulated plasterboard, preferably when the room is due for redecoration as it is best to skim it with plaster aftter taping the joints.

Butwhhhyyyyyyy Sat 15-Feb-20 20:00:39

Thank you everyone for the comments, yes the fan has 3 flaps with do open when the fan is on.

May have to cut down in the breathing then too, these houses can't have cavity wall insulation but I will have a look at the insulated plasterboard thanks.

I will also have a look at the paint.

Reginabambina Sat 15-Feb-20 20:04:50

We get damp and mould over winter quite often (very old house). I’ve recently painted over a large patch of damp and mould with basic Wilko Matt wall paint in a very light colour and it covered the lot in two coats of paint.

RusholmeRuffian Sat 15-Feb-20 20:08:26

Once you have sorted whatever is causing it, use Zinseer Primer- Sealer to cover it. It will keep coming back if you just use emulsion.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »