Talk

Advanced search

Cancelling ADT contract but still using alarm locally?

(2 Posts)
nomorespaghetti Thu 13-Feb-20 21:20:43

We have had an ADT alarm that phones us if the alarm goes off for 4 years. Now we’ve got a cat, so can’t really set it anymore as he’ll set it off. As we’re not using it, I no longer wanted to pay the £35/month monitoring fee, so called up to cancel the contract, thinking we could keep the alarm and use it locally (if we ever need to). Actually when we got the system we were told that after 18 months we’d be able to do this.

ADT person on the phone said that we wouldn’t be able to do this, that they would disable the alarm when we cancelled, unless we paid them a one off fee of 70 quid to continue using it.

Wondering if anyone knows... if we remove the SIM card from the control panel, so they’re not able to remotely disable it, will we still be able to use it locally? I think the control panel might beep incessantly with an error if we do this. Any advice welcome! Thanks

Musttryharder21 Thu 13-Feb-20 22:56:51

Your ADT alarm should be able to be re-set for an animal of below the weight of 28kg to move freely I believe? That’s what we have. We’re in our 3rd house with this. Have you asked them?

Having said that, they’re a crap company and we have had nothing but trouble with them so I completely understand your reasons for wanting shot of them. DH & I have nearly got divorced over this wretched company. Why they call us to tell us our system has gone off when we can do bugger-all to get home and re-set it I do not know 🤷🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

Even the engineer that came to service it last time (as opposed to the remote service they randomly choose to do??) said the inactive box on the wall is enough of a deterrent to an opportunist. The mind boggles.

This company can take over some ADT alarms but not all. It depends on what system you have.

www.alarm-monitoring.co.uk/

We have the wireless one and they couldn’t but our friends have the wired one and they could so have swapped to this company- it was really easy. We told ADT we wanted to leave them and they reduced our bill to £25pcm for 6 mths. Don’t know what we’re going to do when this expires.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »