Talk

Advanced search

Massive complicated door handle issues

(12 Posts)
KatyMac Thu 13-Feb-20 09:43:03

There are 4 doors on my hall - 2 (lounge/bedroom) have ordinary curved door handles

The understairs cupboard has a (96mm centres) pull door handle and the loo under the stairs has no handle

I want to match the understairs cupboard and the loo with the same 'pull handle' but if I do you will see the screw ends on the wrong/inside side of the loo door and it will look pants! And I will sit and look at it several times a day sad

How can I fix this?

CaptainWentworth Thu 13-Feb-20 09:45:29

The screw ends won’t necessarily look pants if they are neatly lined up etc. Could you paint over them? Or attach a finger plate over them on the inside of the door? That would make sense as people will need to push the door to get out of the loo.

PigletJohn Thu 13-Feb-20 11:57:22

I'm not sure what sort of handles you mean. Can you post pics?

SoupDragon Thu 13-Feb-20 12:05:23

If you get ones like this you just put them on both sides of the loo door. They are ordinary "lever" ones but you can just screw the knobs to the door and leave out the spindle bit.

SoupDragon Thu 13-Feb-20 12:05:44

Sigh.

KatyMac Thu 13-Feb-20 18:01:03

I think the finger plate is the best idea

Sorry snapdragon, I don't like them

SoupDragon Thu 13-Feb-20 18:21:11

It was only an example of the sort I meant. Literally any door handle at all will work.

PigletJohn Thu 13-Feb-20 18:52:26

I call that a Bow Handle.

If you have solid doors, you can can fix them with ordinary woodscrews from one side; nothing showing on the other side.

If you have hollow doors, there will (should) be a Lock Block at a certain point, usually half way up on one side, which gives a solid part to screw into. In this case, on the top edge of the door, if you stand on steps, it should say "lock block" printed on the side where the block was put.

If you have a hollow door with no lock block, you may have to use sleeve nuts, which go right through the door and have a head on each side. This is a strong way to attach a handle to a door.

dor handle screws

KatyMac Fri 14-Feb-20 13:18:58

I think (they haven't arrived yet) the screws on top are false so the screw comes from the back of the door into a hole on the back of the handle

PigletJohn Fri 14-Feb-20 14:26:55

ah, like kitchen cabinet door handles.

The screws are usually sized to go through an 18mm thick door, and house doors are usually 33mm thick, so you may need some longer ones. I have the diameter somewhere. might be M4

PigletJohn Fri 14-Feb-20 14:28:50

yes, M4

KatyMac Fri 14-Feb-20 20:44:53

Thanks -yes longer ones

But I think they will look ok

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »