Talk

Advanced search

Ikea green kitchen

(20 Posts)
Veterinari Thu 13-Feb-20 06:48:36

What do people think?
It's for a fairly small kitchen nook as part of a large white-painted kitchen-diner. Likely to keep walls etc white so wanted to add interest with a bit of colour in the kitchen. Possibly will sell in the next 5-10 years.
Is a coloured kitchen a problem?

MothershipG Thu 13-Feb-20 06:57:12

I quite like it and I'm sure it will look great but I suspect it will be a bit marmitey, so if you do go on the market in 5 years you might loose potential buyers who are factoring in the cost of replacing the kitchen and the unimaginative ones who just won't be able to see past it.

Veterinari Thu 13-Feb-20 07:32:00

Thanks Mothership
Yeah that's my concern. It's a toss up between getting something I like versus something that might have more general appeal if I sell in future...

Just wondering how marmite it might be - it seems that blue and charcoal kitchens are increasingly popular

FrownsAndDimples Thu 13-Feb-20 08:17:08

I also quite like it. With different non IKEA handles it will look even nicer.

SoupDragon Thu 13-Feb-20 08:20:10

I'm not keen on it - I agree that it's going to be very marmite.

Is it paintable? If so, you could repaint it if you want to sell and the kitchen is causing a problem. That said, in 5-10 years it might look "dated" anyway.

SoupDragon Thu 13-Feb-20 08:21:07

I don't like it because it's very much "British racing green" which shouts car to me.

MTJTD Thu 13-Feb-20 08:33:52

I like the colour, and for me it's more of a contrast/feature colour rather than a full kitchen. I'd find it too dark and "oppressive" in a full room.

If you're adding it to an large white room it should look nice and add a bit of feature to a room that may be a bit "clinical".

I'd consider a colour-split though; dark green on the base units/under worktops with light coloured cabinets on the wall (if you have them).

JaxOdin Thu 13-Feb-20 08:37:28

Love it ! Pair it with white walls and white metro tiles to keep it simple, maybe a white marble style work surface.
5 years is a long time trend wise and you never know what potential buyers want.
We have sold 3 properties and the last had a brand new cream kitchen which the buyers then changed!! Go for it if you like it !

Sheepskinslippers Thu 13-Feb-20 08:45:39

Agree with pps. Use the green on the lower cabinets, white on the uppers. That colour will look gorgeous with wood tones and brass accents. My only concern is green kitchens are quite 'in' at the moment therefore might date quickly. But if you styled it in a timeless way then that would help with longevity

Whatsnewpussyhat Thu 13-Feb-20 09:04:38

Get the kitchen YOU love now, not the kitchen someone else may or may not like in 5+ years! It's your home.

BubblesBuddy Thu 13-Feb-20 09:22:43

Dark green is the new dark blue! It’s all over the magazines! If will be dated in 10 years. Break up the colour or just have it on the walls. Looks great with copper and pink tones though. Will you get sick of it?

NotMeNoNo Thu 13-Feb-20 13:22:06

The last time dark green/blue was everywhere, it was the mid 1990s. We still have the china. So even if your kitchen does date it will probably come back into style in 20-25 years.

Veterinari Thu 13-Feb-20 14:24:04

Thanks everyone, sorry I should have said - no upper cabinets, just a couple of open oak shelves on one wall

I was thinking white metro tiles for splash back and copper handles and tap (non-ikea)

It would have a wood work surface (oak)

ShesGotBetteDavisEyes Thu 13-Feb-20 14:27:16

It will date quickly. If you love it you should go for it but I considered a green/blue kitchen when we did ours 10 years ago (back when duck egg was all the rage). I’m so glad I didn’t as our white shaker units still look good and haven’t dated at all. I reckon I’d be desperate to rip out a coloured kitchen after a few years!

Veterinari Thu 13-Feb-20 18:52:42

Thanks @ShesGotBetteDavisEyes
That's my concern too!
But on the other hand if I end up with an all white bland room for the next 10 years and it doesn't go out of fashion I'll be annoyed! For what it's worth I think a duck egg kitchen would look pretty nice too grin

Aargh it's such a big decision!!

Cottipus Thu 13-Feb-20 20:04:51

I think it could work in a farmhouse/cottage style house (with a range and brightly coloured tiles) but I wouldn’t put it in a modern house.

But it’s your choice and you like it then go for it! Just bear in mind it might split the crowd if/when you come to market it.

74NewStreet Thu 13-Feb-20 20:07:32

It will date very quickly, but if you like it, go for it. I’ve never seen the logic of following “trends” in decorating when it isn’t your personal taste.

Justjoinedtomoan Fri 14-Feb-20 11:08:48

I had that colour shaker kitchen and have taken it out and put a white ikea one and I feel it is much nicer I also had oak tops /white tiles/ and copper cup handles .
I loved the dark green at first but it made the kitchen feel gloomy and depressing after a while I hated it and hated cooking in there but soldiered on but I have knocked a wall down between another room to extend the kitchen so opening up it up may have made more of a difference than just the colour of the units but the brightness and feel of the kitchen has brought me more joy then the other (even though I have found my dish washer doesnt work waiting for them to send a engineer next week )but it is all personal taste .
My aunty just paid a fortune for a black one and regrets it
just keep going in the display room and think could you live with it for the next few years smile
I still haven't finished mine I have left one wall unfinished with just a big american fridge freezer there to decide what units/ larders /drink fridge I want there .
good luck with what ever you decide

Veterinari Fri 14-Feb-20 12:44:10

Thanks all. Perhaps need a but of a rethink.
Appreciate all the comments

NotMeNoNo Fri 14-Feb-20 13:21:49

If you want to put striking colour in your kitchen - use walls, tiles, artwork, blinds - all more easily replaced than units. Or have a painted wood kitchen that can be repainted in future without needing to be ripped out.

I remember seeing a dark green kitchen in a magazine, it was in a modern house in Scotland where they had used lots of deep colours with white walls, natural wood and huge windows - so it was a real architectural statement. Harder to carry off in a normal house.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »