Advanced search

Put in our first ever offer... now what?

(9 Posts)
Instagrrr Wed 12-Feb-20 20:36:57

We put our offer in on Monday, and waiting to hear back from the vendors.

What’s the usual procedure? Will the estate agent say yes/no/counter offer? Or will they just not reply if they think we’ve offered too low?

Thanks all flowers

Bakedbrie Wed 12-Feb-20 20:43:41

They should always feedback either way. V unprofessional if they didn’t!
In the meantime, while you are thumbing dwindling you could
1) line up but don’t instruct a decent conveyance solicitor
2) get your mortgage agreed in principle- you will need work contract / payslips
3) think about your next move for a counter offer should you get knocked back
Good luck!

Instagrrr Wed 12-Feb-20 21:02:30

@Bakedbrie fab tips! Have that all ready and waiting 🤩 just waiting to hear back!

Luckyleprechaun80 Wed 12-Feb-20 21:21:34

I’d phone up the agent, seems a long time to wait for an answer either way. Maybe they were waiting for someone else having a second viewing and don’t want to knock you back until they’ve seen if they will offer?
Seems unprofessional to leave you hanging.

needmorecoffeeandcake Wed 12-Feb-20 23:03:38

Phone them and ask them for an update.

Bakedbrie Thu 13-Feb-20 06:58:17

Ring back and replug the benefits of your offer.....end of chain, mortgage good to go etc. If your offer is pretty good then you might want to stick a deadline on it of say 2 weeks ...say its a buoyant spring market, more property coming on all the time etc, that you’re confident that there will be other suitable houses coming soon. Put the screws on a bit. I’m selling by the way!!!

Instagrrr Thu 13-Feb-20 07:32:39

I’ll give them a call, thanks all. Property has been on the market for 6 months, has had no offers yet. We put an offer in considerably lower than asking price (but independently valued it appears considerably overpriced)

I think they’ll say no but worth a try! I’ll report back smile

Instagrrr Fri 14-Feb-20 07:00:58

We had a reply back yesterday and they wouldn’t meet us anywhere near, so we are planning to leave our offer on the table and walk away.

Thanks for all your help flowers

Luckyleprechaun80 Fri 14-Feb-20 12:31:44

I’d only leave the offer open for a period of time or they can use it to get others to up their bid.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »