Talk

Advanced search

How long is too long. ?

(17 Posts)
cushioncovers Wed 12-Feb-20 13:24:34

Accepted an offer on my house on 21st January but still haven't found anywhere I like/that's suitable. The buyers of mine are in rented accommodation, an older couple with no kids at home. They knew I hadn't found anywhere when they put an offer in on mine and I'm being really proactive in looking at houses every week.
So my question is how much time do you think is acceptable for me to keep looking and keep my buyers waiting? This is all new to me as I have lived in my current home for over 20 years. Thanks

Purplewithred Wed 12-Feb-20 13:26:18

It's up to them to withdraw their offer if it's too long, you can just carry on until they give up.

Larach Wed 12-Feb-20 18:21:11

We waited 6 months in a similar situation.

cushioncovers Wed 12-Feb-20 18:55:23

Ok thanks for the replies.

Clariana Wed 12-Feb-20 18:58:45

Yes, I waited 6 months for one as well, I think the key is to talk to the buyers and have an honest discussion as to how long they are prepared to wait.

eurochick Wed 12-Feb-20 19:02:58

Our buyers waited a few months for us but we just couldn't find anything. Brexit had killed the market. They were more patient than I expected.

CatAndHisKit Thu 13-Feb-20 00:34:03

I'd say up to 2 months. I ve been in this situation as a seller, buyers got very impatiend after 6 wks, I did find something within 2 months so they did wait.

burritofan Thu 13-Feb-20 06:35:33

Our buyers waited six months and made clear they would wait longer, I think because we were clear about what we were doing and when/why there were delays.

Ohchristmastreeohchristmastree Thu 13-Feb-20 07:02:32

Realistically these things take time easily up to six months. And remember the person your buying from has to find somewhere and so on until you get a vacant property.
Remember if they decide to find another property they then have to start the process all over again (unless they find a vacant property).

cushioncovers Thu 13-Feb-20 07:46:08

Thanks for the replies. It's only been 4 weeks since I accepted their offer and they are already on the phone to the EA wanting updates on whether I've found something. My house was only on the market for 4 weeks and it sold which is great but there's not a lot out there in my budget so been struggling to find anywhere suitable to purchase.

BlueLadybird Thu 13-Feb-20 08:23:30

It's only been 4 weeks since I accepted their offer and they are already on the phone to the EA wanting updates on whether I've found something.

It’s understandable they want updates. They will be waiting to instruct solicitors, survey, mortgage etc plus thinking about their rental contract.

cushioncovers Thu 13-Feb-20 10:10:20

Yeah you're right of course. I think I just felt a bit pressured to have found something. Think I've just got to toughen up and not take it personally.

fastliving Thu 13-Feb-20 18:22:38

There's not alot you can do apart from actively look for houses you want to buy.
You could sell & move into rented accommodation so you are a more agile and competitive buyer, but that's a lot of hassle for you.

If your house is easy to sell then just hold your nerve, if these buyers move on you have new ones lined up again pretty soon

AlexaAmbidextra Fri 14-Feb-20 12:15:29

I too would be on the phone after four weeks to see if you’d found something. You sound as though you think they’re unreasonable.

BlueLadybird Sat 15-Feb-20 20:51:18

Well, you are under pressure to find something. It’s nothing personal, but until you find somewhere else the agreement for them to buy yours doesn’t mean anything. If there’s no sign of that happening they may want keep looking themselves. They might have seen somewhere else they like and are wondering if you are actually going to sell or not.

Find out how long the buyers are prepared to wait, they might be really flexible or there might be a date they really need to have moved by.

As you’ve not found anything, do you think you need to amend your criteria or budget a bit?

cushioncovers Sun 16-Feb-20 12:39:54

Thanks blue good points to consider.

cushioncovers Tue 18-Feb-20 07:48:28

Update: I've had an offer accepted on a property. Viewed it a few weeks ago and then did a second viewing this weekend just gone and still loved it so put an offer in and the vendor accepted! 😄.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »