Talk

Advanced search

Artex, Textured wallpaper etc

(11 Posts)
Whyisitsodifficult Tue 11-Feb-20 21:33:40

I’ve got some sort of textured type wallpaper on my hall ceiling which we need to remove as having some work done. How can I tell what it is and if it’s safe to remove? I’m worried about asbestos, our builders has already taken some down and doesn’t seem to be worried!
Here’s a picture where a section has been removed if anyone can help?

Alyic Tue 11-Feb-20 21:38:11

If it's wallpaper it won't have asbestos in it, it looks a bit like that old fashioned wood chip wallpaper my parents generation were so fond of.

Absolutepowercorrupts Tue 11-Feb-20 21:38:57

It's ok, that's just cheap anaglypta. It's only a textured wallpaper it will not have any harmful components in it. It's used to cover bumpy walls and ceilings. There's no need to be concerned about asbestos at all. It's not Artex

Peeeas Tue 11-Feb-20 21:39:07

That looks like textured paper to me - when we had an asbestos survey for our boiler, the bloke mentioned people often worry about textured paper when there's no need (we had loads of textured paper everywhere so he remarked on it). Artex is mixed in with the plaster to do those swirly ceilings and wouldn't sit away from the ceiling like that.

Whyisitsodifficult Tue 11-Feb-20 21:51:33

Phew that’s a great relief thanks for all your comments, I will be pleased to get it off the ceiling now!

siriuslydog Tue 11-Feb-20 22:01:41

I definitely think that looks like woodchip paper and wouldn't have any asbestos in it but... your post got me googling as we have artex ceilings and our house was built around 1990.

I found a link to this testing kit so may order it to check! You definitely don't need to but in case it's useful to anyone else!

Asbestos Testing Kit/Sample Kit - 1 x Sample - Supplied with industry approved protective equipment, UKAS accredited laboratory result. The UK's No1 Domestic and Commercial Supplier https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071ZN1W3W/ref=cmsww_rcpp_apiii_nlYqEb5DXMC27

Henryloveseatinglego Thu 13-Feb-20 14:18:35

Some wallpaper did contain asbestos .

redwoodmazza Fri 14-Feb-20 12:26:21

It's anaglypta. Not any asbestos!!!
We're just looking for some anaglypta for up our stairs wall which has several marks in the plaster I want disguised. Loads of anaglyptas look really dated but eventually I found one that is called 'plaster' which looks like a newly plastered wall with the texture of the plaster having been roughly spread.
I kept seeing the one you have posted OP!!! Yuck! Don't blame you for getting rid.

Whyisitsodifficult Sat 15-Feb-20 21:27:12

After all that the builders have plasterboarded over it! Thanks everyone

claire697 Sat 15-Feb-20 22:44:38

@siriuslydog I studied asbestos at uni and wouldn't touch a DIY testing kit with a barge pole. You have no idea if it's legit or not, and this is something that could kill you. Running the link through fakespot it appears that many of the reviews might be fake.

Whilst more expensive imo it's better to get a contractor in. This post explains it pretty well www.casaenvironmental.co.uk/asbestos-testing-kit-what-you-need-to-know-before-buying-an-asbestos-testing-kit/

siriuslydog Sat 15-Feb-20 22:56:36

Claire697- thank you, I hadn't thought of it like that! Our house is early 1990s and was just thinking I might do it to set my mind at rest. When I googled it said that it was banned from 1985 but some contractors were using up stock so I'm not sure we have it but it made me worry. Hmm- will have to decide how worried I am now! blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »