Talk

Advanced search

Share your home storage hacks with IKEA - £300 IKEA voucher to be won

(249 Posts)
JustineBMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 05-Feb-20 09:14:57

Despite their size, children manage to take up more space in a home than many parents ever bargain for, making ample storage space an even more precious commodity than it was before children for many parents. With this in mind, IKEA would like to hear about the ways you make the most out of your storage spaces and how it’s made your life easier.

Here’s what IKEA has to say: “The house can often feel crowded after the festive period but a few small changes can make a big difference. Adding hooks and storage solutions at a lower height gives children the freedom to tidy things up by themselves. Remember children love spending time where you are so a small kitchen trolley can make a perfect mobile Art & Craft or play station that can be moved tidied away quickly.”

Maybe you have a creative way for storing lunchboxes or tips for fitting more into cupboards without them overflowing? Perhaps you swear by hangers on doors, boxes inside drawers or folding your clothes in a specific way? How have you used IKEA furniture or accessories to make the most of your space?

Whatever your home storage hacks, share them on the thread below to be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £300 IKEA voucher.

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

FebruaryRainandSleet Wed 05-Feb-20 11:07:04

Pressure-fitted curtain rod inside the (yes, yes, IKEA) kitchen cupboard - all the spray bottles hang from it so you can grab the right one easily.

We have Kallax units bloomin' everywhere as storage in the backs of built-in cupboards, freestanding in the kitchen, for file storage and even fitted with cat beds. I want a 3x3 one to fit a specific space, though -- dear IKEA, please make me one!

WilmaJean Thu 06-Feb-20 19:28:38

Kallax units - used a mix of shelving for books and with boxes for toys.

theneverendinglaundry Thu 06-Feb-20 19:29:56

We have Malm drawers in all the closets, works well in smaller rooms as you don't have too much furniture taking over the room. Those hanging shelves are really handy for games, toys etc.

In the kitchen I have plastic storage containers in all the food cupboards. Really helps to find things easier, is also easier to keep tidy and to clean the cupboard.

BrowncoatWaffles Thu 06-Feb-20 19:30:20

We have Kallaxes everywhere too. For books. For clothes. For board games. The game changer for us storage wise was an Ikea wardrobe we put in the hallway and filled with wire baskets for shoes in the bottom and then a dangly fabric thing with cubby holes* to one side of where all the coats hang. Everyone has one for school bag / lunch box / gloves / my handbag etc (even DM and MIL's slippers go in one near the bottom) and it keeps the hallway clear. It made such a difference on getting rid of clutter. Well, you know, not getting rid of it, but hiding it more effectively...

*not it's actual name

Happierwithouthim Thu 06-Feb-20 19:35:07

One inside front & back doors for shoes, game changer, no looking for shoes & no shoes cluttering the halls either.

Ratbagcatbag Thu 06-Feb-20 19:37:15

We have the Ikea day bed with the huge drawers underneath. They pretty much take all my daughters clothes. And has the bonus of pulling out into a double bed for sleepovers. She loves it.
Storage boxes, regular declutters and encouragement to put everything back in its place also helps hugely.

Happierwithouthim Thu 06-Feb-20 19:37:56

Ikea larger presses storing all the food in kitchen

Happierwithouthim Thu 06-Feb-20 19:39:11

Matching large wardrobes for master bedroom

Happierwithouthim Thu 06-Feb-20 19:39:50

Love idea of Curtin rod going to rob that for new house

Happierwithouthim Thu 06-Feb-20 19:41:01

Perfect height for under window for dcs toys different colour for boys & girls

PickAChew Thu 06-Feb-20 19:45:56

Ds2 wanted a bigger bed for his room but we were concerned about lack of storage with a double bed taking up most of the room. That problem was solved by a brimnes double bed, which has 4 massive, deep drawers that we use for spare duvets as well as ds1's bedding and out of season clothes. The headboard with built in shelves is just the right size for his collections of leaflets and booklets pertaining to his hobby.

cannotmakemymindup Thu 06-Feb-20 19:51:39

We uterlise space under beds and in inbuilt wardrobes with plastic boxes from Ikea. So our linen gets kept all under the beds which is easy access for changing beds to. Great with small children as not hunting to far when changing their bed. Also means we doesn't loose toys underneath as there isn't the space.
In my inbuilt wardrobe which has space behind the clothing rail the boxes keep my sewing items, spare wine glasses all safe and dust free.
A lot of items in our home are sorted into boxes, wicker baskets and the like which means everything has a home itself. Much easier to locate items when you know there's only one place to look for say post recieved.

PashleyB Thu 06-Feb-20 19:54:25

We've just had pull out baskets fitted in a kitchen cupboard for all the endless reusable bottles we have - it is all now much more orderly!

helloblossom Thu 06-Feb-20 19:54:51

Set of ALGOT mesh baskets/drawers in utility room. One drawer for each family member. Clean washing goes into them and everyone takes their own basket upstairs to put away when full.

PerkingFaintly Thu 06-Feb-20 20:14:39

Ooh, at last a draw where I really want the prize!

Billy bookcases. Best thing since sliced bread (though I'm not liking the new plastic-y veneers).

Saucepan racks and hanging rails in the kitchen.

All sorts of hangers inside cupboard doors.

I've currently got my eye on those BANTISTEL room divider curtains, especially now they're in a choice of colours, to hide laundry drying in the bedroom and be folded back on non-laundry days.

Asuwere Thu 06-Feb-20 20:37:08

We have a lot of kallax in the house, so versatile. In fact, DS's toddler bed is on top of 2 kallax units so he has loads of storage plus he loves having a 'high' bed (it is screwed together and very safe!)

I have a couple of baskets hanging by butcher hooks from a radiator near front door which is great for hats and gloves which would otherwise be all over the floor!

wellingtonsandwaffles Thu 06-Feb-20 20:44:31

Buying cheap standalone shelves to go inside random cupboards to help sort stuff. Lots of boxes and jars for the pantry to decant things into. Kallax everywhere! Drawer dividers in every drawer.

OakleyStreetisnotinChelsea Thu 06-Feb-20 20:44:36

My children's bedrooms are sponsored by stuva and kallax. The basement, aka Lego room, is also full of kallax and a trofast Lego table made of 2 trofast units screwed together to create a playing surface with lots of drawers to keep bricks in.

TerrifiedandWorried Thu 06-Feb-20 20:55:02

Totally outing myself but we have overhauled our family laundry system. I love it. Each person has a bag and there's one for whites. Can also fit DD's rugby kit bag on it and it fits in the hallway outside their rooms.

SylvanianFrenemies Thu 06-Feb-20 21:01:16

Stuva kids bedroom stuff. I love it, and it is hardwearing.

The other tip is chuck stuff away! Easier said than done....

UrbanMage Thu 06-Feb-20 21:05:12

We use the hanging toy basket for my daughter's uniform. Each pocket has a different item of clothing in it (cardigans in one, pinafores in another etc) and it helps her be a little more independent in the morning. Not that she is any good at actually dressing herself!

Plus, it saves drawer space.

Cotswoldmama Thu 06-Feb-20 21:15:30

Door organisers are amazing and under every bed we have storage containers mainly full of clothes.

Nemchen Thu 06-Feb-20 21:20:38

Ikea draw organisers save my life. Even have one for the ‘shit drawer’ which stops it being such a mess. We also have Ikea wicker storage boxes under our next2me crib downstairs with all our babies toys in as they fit perfectly and saves buying an entire unit! When the baby has a nap we simply just slide them out and the living room still looks tidy!

JulesJules Thu 06-Feb-20 21:38:17

My daughters both have IKEA beds and daybeds with pull out storage underneath. Great for spare bedding for sleepovers, vac packed winter duvet and extra space for clothes etc.

Melissana Thu 06-Feb-20 22:34:50

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Belmo Thu 06-Feb-20 22:54:46

Nothing exciting but I’m obsessed with Kallaxes, I’d have them all over every wall of the house if I could!

AHobbyaweek Thu 06-Feb-20 23:21:37

The biggest one for me is making sure the space under beds are used. We have the ikea white child bed with storage drawers and storage boxes under our bed too. All my shoes are under our bed and all the bed sets all in a matching pillowcase under my DD's bed.

babba2014 Fri 07-Feb-20 01:54:52

My household consists of two adults (parents) and children under 6.

I have seen that most families love Kallax. I do like it but I can imagine things falling behind and so it's not the furniture I choose to buy. That said, families need more awareness of the other great ranges available which is perfect for families!

Pax/Komplement
This isn't just a wardrobe. This can be used as a wardrobe plus storage plus bookshelf and anything you want it to be. I've found it so amazing and so space-saving. We have it in our room and also the children's room.
It not only stores current clothes but future clothes. You can edit the cupboard as much as you want. A slide out hanger is great for things like hats and bags and scarves. It's such a genius idea.
We then use a combination of hanging rails and drawers. They are so big that they fit all their clothes in them with two spare drawers which stores their arts and crafts and toys.

That said, Stuva is a wonderful product range too. They are especially good for early years. Their drawers are fantastic and make a wonderful bedside table but them four drawers to store their bits and bobs and toys such as Lego. Stuva is customisable too and you can display their toys on the top too.

The reason why I personally love the Pax and Stuva range is because with children, things can get messy quickly and for me, displaying all the toys means more opportunity for mess and then getting tired cleaning up. With Stuva and Pax, you can store all of this on shelves too but you then put a door on and nothing can be seen. Just a plain white door or whatever design or colour you choose. The room looks tidy in seconds! And every item of clothing, toy and craft has its own place in these storage solutions which means even the little children know where things go and easily put their toys away without asking a hundred times.

Ttcbabybennett Fri 07-Feb-20 02:38:37

We’ve used one of the ikea cube shelving units as a room divider as we’ve moved into an open plan house, it’s great as some cubes have the canvas boxes in which are massive enough to store blankets, books, crafting supplies, random stuff etc and other cubes we’ve just put a few ornaments so light still comes though into the sectioned off area, it’s turned one large room with unusable space into 2 rooms with set purposes and we love it!! So my best tip is sometimes furniture doesn’t have to go right up against a wall? It can serve 2 purposes and become a wall itself smile

sashh Fri 07-Feb-20 02:57:18

I recently got rid on my kitchen bin, it was a in a cupboard and took up loads of space. I now have two carrier bags, one for recycling and one for other rubbish.

I've put tins in the cupboard instead, I stack tins of the same thing on top of each other and put them in a row with similar things so two tins of beans on top of each other next to kidney beans.

PorridgeAgainAbney Fri 07-Feb-20 05:31:05

We bought a massive wardrobe from Ikea for DS when he was about 2 and it's brilliant because all his clothes are on the rail and all his big boxed toys and puzzles fit across the bottom. He also chose a combination of different coloured metal lockers that can be moved and stacked differently, and they really brighten up the room.

BristolMum96 Fri 07-Feb-20 05:40:22

Another one for kallax! In every room. Holds so much and still looks nice. Brilliant for misc kids toys

IWouldBeSuperb Fri 07-Feb-20 06:05:58

As pp have said - Kallax units wherever we can cram them in! grin

Also making sure there are specific places for the bits and pieces that are needed daily and likely to be dropped on the floor- hooks for coats and bags, shoe racks etc.

ipswichwitch Fri 07-Feb-20 06:42:21

We have a lot of trofast in DSs room - smaller wall mounted and larger floor units. The drawers are great for all his Lego models and he just takes the drawer out, plays with them and it goes straight back in again.
We have a tiny hallway so we got wall hanging shoe storage - everyone has their own box, and there’s one for bags, so there’s nothing on the floor.
Best thing we got was a bean bag style storage bag for soft toys. My kids have millions, and they go in the bag, it’s zipped up and they use it as a bean bag. Stops the teddies getting dusty too!

WowOoo Fri 07-Feb-20 07:14:40

Plastic storage boxes from Ikea for toys. I used to take some away and only keep one box out so that the toys were rediscovered again and again. Now they are older I use them for clothes the kids will grow into. See through so I can read the labels - age 9 etc.

EggysMom Fri 07-Feb-20 07:36:55

Not so much a storage hack as a space-making hack: we have Ikea's wooden bunk bed in our son's boxroom bedroom, he sleeps on the bottom bunk and has the top bunk as his play space! We've put a hard platform and then a mix of rug / old cot mattress / artificial grass to give him a variety of surfaces; and we've used a stepped storage unit (unfortunately not Ikea's as it wasn't the right size) to give him step access up to the top bunk.

EvaHarknessRose Fri 07-Feb-20 07:42:24

A medium sized basket by the door is great for keeping kids shoes and wellies in until their feet get bigger.

OakleyStreetisnotinChelsea Fri 07-Feb-20 07:49:09

Have remembered another use for trofast. We have a 3 section trofast in the utility. Each section has one big drawer and one tray in. 3 kids, one section each. Hat, gloves etc in the tray, shoes on the drawer, their coat hook on the wall above their section.

TheCoolerQueen Fri 07-Feb-20 08:08:50

- Kallax, Pax and Malm. In fact I'm thinking of calling my triplets after them grin
I try not to collect clutter and I do believe in "A place for everything, everything has its place". If I can put a shelf, box, or a hook somewhere then I will.

ThePurpleGirl Fri 07-Feb-20 09:26:58

We're another household with lots of Kallax units- two big ones in the playroom, one medium sized in each of the children's bedrooms and one in the office. They're so useful.
Our other trick is we have two stackable storage boxes in the back of the cupboard under the stairs. In the bottom one we keep summer stuff (wetsuits, picnic rugs, sandals) throughout the winter, and winter stuff (winter boots, coats, hats, gloves, scarves etc) throughout the winter. The top box we keep without the lid on and it has all the bags for the children's various clubs pre- packed (e.g. swimming, gym, ballet, tap) so that we can just grab the right bags each day.

debjani Fri 07-Feb-20 10:08:17

Drawers under all the beds - invisible storage for bedding!

voyager50 Fri 07-Feb-20 10:20:04

I have put all my jumpers and cardigans into plastic tubs with lids on the shelf at the top of my built-in wardrobe, sorted by colour.

The shelf is so high it was impossible to keep them in neat piles when they were loose and they kept falling out. Now I can fit more in and they are so much neater.

RufustheLanglovingreindeer Fri 07-Feb-20 10:28:50

We use the big pax wardrobes in the playroom

One for games, one for jigsaws and miscellaneous toys, photos and craft stuff and one for stationery etc

Dvd and book storage in the playroom is all ikea, 4 bedrooms all with pax wardrobes

Ds2 had a alcove which would have cost 4k+ to get a fitted wardrobe, the pax fits perfectly

Dilbertian Fri 07-Feb-20 10:42:32

I came up with a lovely Ikea hack that I'm quite proud of grin

I have Pax wardrobes with a corner unit. The corner unit is shallower than the standard Pax, so they stand forward of the wall and there's a wasted space behind them. I bought a bookcase in the same colour as the interior of the Pax, and the depth of the gap, and fitted it to the back of the corner unit. I cut out a piece of the back panel of the corner unit so that I can access the shelves from within it, and fixed that piece onto the part of the shelf unit that sticks into the triangular gap in the corner.

Now I have secret shelves behind my hanging dresses, where I can hide presents. Don't tell the dc!

ursuslemonade Fri 07-Feb-20 10:42:43

Stuva/fritids wardrobe with wire basket, hanging space and drawers and kallax unit for the kids bedroom. Can't beat them especially the kallax.
My kitchen cupboards are full of Variera shelf inserts as space is on the small side. They are better than the wire ones as no stuff will fall through the gaps.

Frustratedandworried Fri 07-Feb-20 10:50:13

We love IKEA for all our storage solutions!

We used nordli drawers for the base of my daughters bed .. she can now access her clothes herself and it saves the usually wasted under bed space

We have a bed with kallax underneath so we can use the drona boxes for storage

Our hallway is small but with 4 children we needed a decent amount of shoe storage ...kallax to the rescue again! We can fit numerous pairs inside each drona box and the top of the unit doubles as a side- board type area

The boys room has trofast storage which is brilliant for adaptability! Each bucket has a different type of toy in which keeps them organised.

We are currently planning an ikea kitchen and the storage solutions offered are endless! We cant wait to purchase!

m0jit0 Fri 07-Feb-20 11:04:45

Kallax! Kallaxes everywhere!

bikerclaire Fri 07-Feb-20 11:20:09

Learn how to fold clothes effectively and stick to it!

SweetPeaPods Fri 07-Feb-20 11:54:13

Not many rooms in my house without a kallax or malm chest of drawers. Great for kids jigsaws, shoes, tv stand.... also a big fan of their VARIERA box for kitchen cupboard. Great to keep stock cubes, spice mixes etc together.

Pixiepops Fri 07-Feb-20 12:52:21

Dimpa storage bags with all of the spare duvets, pillows and bedding in them under my bed. Frees up drawers and makes changing the beds faster. Also all of the Duplo in one big transparent storage box and all of the Lego in another. Gets rid of all of the boxes and makes it easier for the children to find the pieces they're looking for without tipping it all over the floor!

getyourarseoffthequattro Fri 07-Feb-20 12:53:52

we have used the spice racks to put books in in our sons room. They dont stick out far from the wall so save space, but hold quite a few thin kids books at a time. Love them!

Spirael Fri 07-Feb-20 13:06:34

We use an Ikea Billy bookcase near the front door for storing shoes! Each member of the household gets a couple of shelves and there's a larger section at the bottom for boots. Relatively cheap and easy to set up, but it makes it much simpler to find what you need and to tidy shoes away.

GoldenCrunchMunch Fri 07-Feb-20 13:07:00

Expedit- is it kallax now?- for all the toys. Low down coat hooks so they can hang up their own coats. Ruthless decluttering.

pinkflump2020 Fri 07-Feb-20 14:41:03

We live in a new build town house and have hardly any storage space, not even a loft as we have a flat roof! To combat this, we have knocked a doorway through, boarded out and made use of the space under the stairs between the middle and top floors. Its beyond me why the developers didn't think of this as a selling point but the space under those stairs is huge (staircase goes up the middle of the building) and has created a fantastic space for storing old toys, Christmas decorations etc - all the stuff you would usually store in a loft space!

Jematron Fri 07-Feb-20 15:04:58

I have Ikea items throughout the house, the baby's room has kallax, usefully with or without draws for books, sheets and towels.
I added large tubs (also ikea) to Gulliva changing station for snowsuits, blankets and toys.
I use the rashult trolly for baby changing essentials, top is nappies, cream and wipes. Middle is a change of clothes for massive poos! Bottom is extra muslins and bibs. So useful to have it all on one movable item.

Nomummyonlyzuul Fri 07-Feb-20 15:28:13

We have kallax in all different sizes in most rooms, they're so versatile and changeable they look nice anywhere! We have the pax system wardrobes as again, you can customise everything about them and adapt them so they grow with your family. And of course, the good old billy bookcase that's moved 4 times with me and is still going strong!

HoHoHolly Fri 07-Feb-20 16:48:37

There are a lot of mid-century style sofas around at the moment. Use the space underneath them for cuddly toys, puzzles etc. Use an underbed drawer such as Vardo if there's enough height underneath. If not, use underbed storage hacks such as a Riba frame on castors or a big Samla lid upside down. Quick and easy tidy-up, plus children can see the toys they have available without having to rifle through boxes. We even use the tiny gap under our more modern sofa for a jigsaw board.

Frariedeamin Fri 07-Feb-20 17:03:44

Dismantle a frost airer into two and cable tie to your bannister over the stairs. You can dry clothes without taking up any floor space !

Alanna1 Fri 07-Feb-20 17:34:19

We use lots of kallax but - not suggested here yet - I highly recommend a billy bookcase with many more shelves than it comes with for family shoe storage. Works a dream and you can readily alter the shelf heights for boots over sandals over trainers. Great depth too for children from 5 to adults 50 plus.

CointreauVersial Fri 07-Feb-20 17:55:07

In our bedroom we had to get a joiner to custom-build fitted low-height MDF wardrobes into the eaves; the sloping ceiling meant we couldn't use anything off-the-peg.

But I had the bright idea of getting him to make the internal dimensions/width of each of the wardrobes exactly the same as PAX. So we were able to use all the KOMPLEMENT fittings - rails, racks, pull-out baskets, storage cubes etc. The joiner just drilled holes into the wardrobes where required. It worked brilliantly.

I have a GRUNDTAL wall rack above a radiator in the utility room with a load of S-hooks hanging on the bars - great for shirts.

Namechangeforthis123 Fri 07-Feb-20 17:55:15

Kallax! So versatile. I'm a huge fan of it you don't use it chuck it out so that helps. We're looking at a lift up bed currently so sheet and bedding storage.

OnTheEdgeOfTheNight Fri 07-Feb-20 17:59:30

I have bought several Expedit units over the years, and the wicker and fabric boxes that fit in them. They are really useful in any room, but I think I discovered a new use for them...

I'm not sure if this is widely known, but the Dronas fabric boxes are just the right size for a load of laundry. I have two Dronas boxes in a bathroom cupboard - one for colours, one for whites. No more guessing whether the dirty laundry basket is equivalent to a half load or full load of washing. When the Dronas box is full I know that's a full load for the washing machine. (I think it's a 7kg drum).

Ruu Fri 07-Feb-20 18:28:44

Two of our best IKEA storage hacks are:
Using the three drawer Stuva unit in the hall - the top drawer holds a usb charger unit for phones and tablets, the second for stationery and the the third divided into our winter accessories; hats, gloves etc.
- 6 peg boards joined together on my son's bedroom wall. He puts anything and everything on it including his hockey stick and his piggy bank!

giggly Fri 07-Feb-20 18:30:10

I use the door pocket thingiesconfused with 16 pockets on the back of the kitchen door to store the endless reusable water bottles and flasks. One for each pocket along with its straw and lid. Even better it’s a nylon type material so can put them in not fully dry after washing upside down and they dry off without taking up endless room on the draining board.

ilovemyrednosedaymug Fri 07-Feb-20 19:13:18

I have loads of Really Useful boxes that stack on top of each other. I have long ones that fit under the beds. I put them on top of wardrobes, the utility room, everywhere.

I have never been to an Ikea or bought anything from one, but now there is one near us I may take a visit and look at the living room furniture as I like the combination things that hold the TV and have a cabinet/book case etc, but it is finding the right thing, as I don't want stark white or black everywhere.

mynameisntlouise Fri 07-Feb-20 19:30:30

My teen step-son has a loft bed in the box room; we use the fabric hanging storage attached underneath the bed slats to store his clothes rather than having a chest of drawers or wardrobe taking up floor space.

Chaosonthehorizon Fri 07-Feb-20 20:52:32

Kallax’s everywhere (buying another v soon), two kura beds hacked to form a mid sleeper with another bunk underneath, billy bookcases, trofast toy storage making the steps for the ‘bunk beds’ and a myriad of other items from washing octopuses to spare bed cover to protect it from the cats. Literally would struggle without Ikea and we have more children on the way!

MeMeMeYou Fri 07-Feb-20 20:57:24

Just one word: TROFAST

Seriously, all my trofasts contain our toy mountain so well it’s made a huge difference. It helped us sell our house I’m sure as it looked less cluttered. Now I just need some kallax and a couple of billy bookcases and my life will be complete!

sleepyhead Fri 07-Feb-20 21:08:26

Picture books stored face out on IKEA picture ledges.

Easier to see them for choosing at bedtime and makes use of the space under wall cabinets and over radiators.

ShePersisted Fri 07-Feb-20 21:20:28

We keep toddler mattresses stowed underneath our girls bunk beds - perfect for sleep overs, or when the older wants to be closer to her younger sister.,

yummyscummymummy01 Fri 07-Feb-20 21:27:47

Kallax units absolutely everywhere! I think we have one in every room.

My husband frequently tells me off as I'm always telling him 'it's in the Kallax' and he's always like 'which of the 100 Kallaxs do mean darling?'

We also converted one of the Gonatt cots into a side sleeper when my twins were born. It meant they were right next to me and each other which I think they found really comforting smile

lornz Fri 07-Feb-20 21:28:01

Our home is like an Ikea catalogue 🙈😂

We use trofast units for the play room. And kallax units for washing (means the clothes can be sorted when dirty to save me a job!!) and kallax and storage shelves dotted all over 😂

We do love a trip to Ikea.

Boredbumhead Fri 07-Feb-20 21:40:16

I recently moved into a bijou house after a breakup. All the kids clothes and school uniforms are stored in the FRIHETEN sofa bed integral storage. It works like a dream. They are easy to move from dryer straight to under sofa storage, and the kids quickly know where to find their uniforms in the morning. Perfect!

HoneysuckIejasmine Fri 07-Feb-20 21:45:29

Kallax everywhere of course. We also use grejig shoe racks inside kitchen cupboards as an extra shelf, and this weekend will be converting our trusty Gulliver changing table in to two toddler tables.

Kids both have a pax 50x56cm wardrobe unit with rail and four drawers. Plenty of space.

Also have a large shoe rack in the cupboard and coat rack to keep it all tidy.

BuffyFanGirl Fri 07-Feb-20 22:00:14

Every room in our house has something. Ikea in it. Bedrooms all have Pax wardrobes outfitted with various pull out rails, hanging rails, shelves and drawers.

Bought a Latt table, fixed a rail across like side of it like the Kungsfors but the older one (had it years) and then hung the plastic buckets off it so he has room for pens and pencils and things right there at the table.

Just flipped his Kura bed over so he's sleeping on the "top bunk" and got the trofast next to it to be used as stairs up to the bed as well as storage and Kallax underneath with books in. He loves it!

SusanWalker Fri 07-Feb-20 22:06:13

I use plastic boxes and shelving. We now have 6 large Billy bookcases. I recently bought the songesand bed with the drawers underneath and am really pleased with it. The drawers are huge and very sturdy with wood underneath to reinforce the base.

I'm planning on redoing the children's rooms next. DD has tons of stuff so will be getting a bed with storage underneath and a desk I've seen in IKEA with shelves above and underneath it. She has nice fabric boxes on her Billy bookcase for extra storage.

My son has less stuff but lots of clothes which because of his autism and dyspraxia he struggles to keep organised so I'm thinking of replacing his wardrobe with two chests of drawers.

I've also recently had a big clear out and used some nice cardboard record boxes to make a memory box and for storing photos.

MrsFrTedCrilly Fri 07-Feb-20 22:09:05

Kallax and lots of them! And also some surreptitious recycling when the kids aren’t looking grin

gingerbreadslice Fri 07-Feb-20 22:11:15

Kallax units simply the best solution for clutter you don't want to bin grin

goodwinter Fri 07-Feb-20 22:36:17

Large plastic stacker boxes in our awkward kitchen corner cupboard, for storing pan lids, silicone baking sheets, bullet blender and all its attachments, etc.

minipie Fri 07-Feb-20 22:53:23

We used Pax and Platsa wardrobe carcasses and fittings and got a joiner to make doors and filler strips for the front. Voila, built in wardrobes for much much less. And flexible in future too.

We have no Kallax shock but we do have a row of large Hemnes bookshelves which have grown up books on the top shelves and kids books and toys on the lower shelves.

Variera boxes in the larder cupboard holding the veg, spices, everything really, it’s all neatly divided and easy to lift in and out. Also use them to help bring order to our deep freezer drawer.

Just off to check if Ikea have anything 70ish cm wide to fit in our alcove for shoe storage!

BronteSisters Fri 07-Feb-20 23:00:16

Over door coat hangers inside a large cupboard but suspended from a shelf slat above instead of over the door or fixed to a wall. Can store things above the coats on the shelf, slide the coat collection aside to get things from the back and still have space underneath the coats to put other things.

MinnieMouseMaze Sat 08-Feb-20 06:30:54

Kallax definitely. It is so handy to store all of those smaller toys and tuck it back in not worrying we will have lost something! We also use one is our LO wardrobe which provides handy draws smile

separatedandseething Sat 08-Feb-20 07:43:32

Ahh yes, when dd was younger, under bed drawers were great for quickly storing all those small items out of sight. Also saved on the job of having to vacuum under the bed smile

Bimbleberries Sat 08-Feb-20 08:06:58

Narrow Pax in the bedroom with some shelves chopped off and adapted to make different sized spaces. A Hemnes shoe rack in the front entrance as it's so narrow that it's the only thing that doesn't get in the way. And Besta units to make shelves, plus a shoe rack and a seat with cushions between two lots of shelves, for putting on shoes. Drawer organisers. Several Billy bookcases with any baskets or boxes I could find that fit on them (not as big as Kallax so it's hard to get the right size!). I wanted to get a Brimnes cupboard that was only 22cm deep but it was discontinued the month before. Tiny flats need shallow furniture!

9GreenBottles Sat 08-Feb-20 08:13:57

Ikea is my favourite shop, and I have Ikea products in every room.

I've used some 37cm deep Metod floor and wall cupboards up to the ceiling in the hall. The worktop was to artfully display decorative items but that hasn't quite happened. I've created a very shallow shelf at the top where I can use a cutlery drawer insert to put small bits and bobs and I slide this out like a drawer.

We moved our boiler from a cupboard in the kitchen into the utility room so I filled the empty cupboard with an 80cm and a 40cm Billy bookcase (the bigger one had to be built in situ). Now I have a fabulous larder.

picklesdragonisawelshdragon Sat 08-Feb-20 08:38:06

Kitchen base units fit Kallax fabric boxes really well. My unit with the inaccessible back corner houses four kallax boxes that slide in and out allowing me to use all the space. It works really well with lighter things- baking tins in one, lunch boxes/plastic bottles in another etc.

Wait4nothing Sat 08-Feb-20 08:43:31

I use the large 4x4 Kallax to store ALL the toys. Then the 1x4 Kallax on it’s side to make a play surface and I rotate the toys into use on here. Best thing is it all goes away at bedtime and makes the room look reasonable! (Bar the toy kitchen)

TheGirlWithGlassFeet Sat 08-Feb-20 08:59:11

Lots of Kallax and also having little storages boxes in cupboards. That way everything has a home and it keeps everything nice and organised.

1moreRep Sat 08-Feb-20 09:03:43

i used the curtain rails across my eves in the attic (from ikea) and hang all occasional clothes (fancy dress/ xmas)

little boxes inside of draws for organisation

ikea white bins in the cupboard as washing baskets

SomeHalfHumanCreatureThing Sat 08-Feb-20 09:09:39

TRONES shoe storage in the kids room for their pyjamas and underwear so they can can easily get to it without reaching the drawers. Also means they can put their own laundry away as it's so accessible

I use the HEMNES shoe storage unit for document storage. It's a good size for files and papers, avd it's easy to flick through folders, like a shallow filing cabinet. This one is really useful, it's made use of a space that was too narrow for anything else, and keeps files out of sight.

KOMPLEMENT plastic box drawers are the perfect size to fit under beds. We can get 6 of them under a single. Great for storing bedding, out of season clothes, and toys in the ones at the front.

SinkGirl Sat 08-Feb-20 09:32:02

Our twins room is tiny but we need a sofa bed in there so we have a very small Ikea sofa bed, and in the alcove a Stuva bench which holds bedding for it, and makes a little reading corner for them.

Elsewhere we have Kallax all over the place. We have one in the dining room, the twins know which toys are in which box so they can dip in and out - one has a visual impairment and it helps him to know where to find what he wants.

HoHoHolly Sat 08-Feb-20 09:37:59

So many brilliant ideas here!

balletpanda Sat 08-Feb-20 09:52:58

The shoe storing hanging little cube thing I bought in ikea has transformed how I store my shoes in my wardrobe. It was bought many years ago for a few pounds and my wardrobe has looked so much tidier ever since!

Butterfly44 Sat 08-Feb-20 09:54:32

My under stairs space was an utter mess. Lots of tools and household items...Could never find what I wanted. Bought a trofost unit that I painted and organised all the drawers. Now I know exactly where everything is and I love it so much!!!

Stargirl84 Sat 08-Feb-20 10:17:15

Spice racks used in the kitchen to store multiple recipe books!
Spice racks used in the kids bedrooms for displaying kids picture books!
I REALLY like spice racks!

Exploring Sat 08-Feb-20 10:19:06

We are ten minutes from an IKEA so our house is about 80% after a refurb. A bookcase on top of a chest of drawers saves space in our room. Staggered kallax under the stairs, a 4x1 kallax as my bedside. 2 socktopus' (socktopi?) for underwear drying hooked on a curtain rail. And the small flat pack cardboard box with lid has been massively useful for filing and packing, and storing in the bottom of wardrobes.
A label slot for the fabric kallax boxes would be good

kittlesticks Sat 08-Feb-20 10:40:35

Also kallax mad here. We have also got all the stuva nursery furniture and find the deep drawers and storage chests great for our two kids under 3.

MerlinsBeard87 Sat 08-Feb-20 10:41:18

Another one with Kallax units everywhere- one for each of the kids for their clothes and we use it as a nappy changing station on top. Another big one for toy storage. Dh has just recycled a huge industrial fridge from a local cafe that were throwing it away and he's turning it into a work bench and storage for the shed!

Gecko85 Sat 08-Feb-20 11:40:46

Pax wardrobes are brilliant. My kids both have one, which we could design and fit out internally with the Pax accessories to suit the kind of storage each of them needed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »