Talk

Advanced search

St Mary Cray

(12 Posts)
Anitai Tue 14-Jan-20 21:02:08

I’m hoping someone familiar with the Sidcup/Orpington/ Bexley area could advise if St Mary Cray is a safe, pleasant area for an interracial couple to buy their first home? We’re both in our early 30s and have rather low budget of £310k.

We both commute into Central London on a daily basis and would need a journey that’s under an hour. We’ve come across a 2 bed in St Mary Cray but aren’t familiar with the area. Is it a safe bet? or are there any other areas we should consider on our budget. I’m really hoping someone can help!

JoJoSM2 Tue 14-Jan-20 21:23:51

Just looking at the local school stats (St Mary Cray Primary) and it looks like a very deprived area with an awful school.

Is 310k for a 2-bed house? It might be a bit tight for a house but you should be able to get a flat somewhere nice for that? I’m over in Sutton so not too familiar with the areas but actual Orpington, Sidcup and Bexley are all nice and quite affordable as far as I know.

JoJoSM2 Tue 14-Jan-20 22:07:37

Oh, if you’re open to other areas, then you’ll definitely get a 2-bed flat in a private block in Sutton. It’s pretty multicultural, safe, fab schools. Big town centre and lots of amenities. Trains to LB, Victoria and the Thameslink. For smaller town centres/villagey places around here, Worcester Park, Carshalton and Wallington are nice and 2-bed flats should be available under 310k.

Anitai Tue 14-Jan-20 23:00:40

@jojoSm2 thanks for your input. We were actually hoping for a 2 bed house but don’t think it’s possible on our budget. I’ll have a look in the areas you have suggested. smile

PancakesAndMapleSyrup Tue 14-Jan-20 23:02:09

Dont. It's not very nice at all. Somewhere you want to give a very wide berth.

Anitai Tue 14-Jan-20 23:05:43

@PancakesAndMapleSyrup oh dear, I guess the hunt continues!

earsup Wed 15-Jan-20 01:44:35

Friends dad had a flat there...not very pleasant area...had travellers in next field chucking poo etc over fence.

skippy67 Wed 15-Jan-20 09:04:59

I wouldn't recommend it at all. Especially for an interracial couple.

Anitai Wed 15-Jan-20 09:20:47

@earsup that’s awful, sorry to hear that. Would you say that all of the ‘Crays’ (footscray, St. Paul’s cray) are the same? I.e run down, deprived etc

Anitai Wed 15-Jan-20 09:22:15

@skippy67 this isn’t the first time I’ve heard this but a part of me was hoping it wasn’t true. Would you say it was the same for the surrounding areas too?

PancakesAndMapleSyrup Wed 15-Jan-20 11:25:42

Yes avoid all the crays tbh as someone mentioned above you would be better looking at carshalton/sutton the other side of bromley/Croydon to be honest.
In order to stretch funds have you thought of looking a bit further north like the commuter belt towards Cambridge. I dont mean cambridge itself as the budget wont stretch but a Cambridge or Cambridge North station on a fast to kings cross or liverpool st is 52m or 57m respectively. We moved up from south east london and now drive 15 mins or so to the stations mentioned and into london. It is very do able and you get far more for your budget. May be worth spending a weekend exploring. You also have stations further down the line towards london too that you can look at.

earsup Wed 15-Jan-20 16:02:51

I dont know to be honest as only visited the flat in summers...he has since moved...others also say its not a pleasant area...good luck with the search.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »