Talk

Advanced search

Stuffy house - what no one tells you about new double glazed windows!

(11 Posts)
GerbitaFillsbottomMcSimmons Tue 14-Jan-20 16:37:45

So before we had our new double glazed sash windows installed we had single glazed, not original. We were excited about the house being better insulated with double glazing but why did no one tell us - the new sash windows would now need to be open almost the entire day to ensure that the house remains smelling fresh and not like 3 day old sock clunge.

So basically the better insulation is completely redundant!

Before we had the new windows the house could breathe evenly without opening the windows and the air remained constantly fresh and not stuffy.

Now if we don't give the house a good airing every day the smell is just awful and stuffy and we are pretty clean people.

Anyway, this is just a word of warning to anyone thinking that double glazed windows are a saviour for insulation because if you like a fresh smelling house they will always be open, even in zero degrees!

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Tue 14-Jan-20 16:42:06

Don't your windows have trickle vents OP?

I air the bedrooms first thing (when we're all downstairs) and the living room at teatime (when we're all in the kitchen) and that does us! Trickle vents open all the time.

Asdf12345 Tue 14-Jan-20 17:44:59

We moved into a place like that. The problem was very quickly solved with a load of trickle vents.

GerbitaFillsbottomMcSimmons Tue 14-Jan-20 18:35:43

Never considered it because the windows are wood sashes but just googled and seen it's fairly common in wood sash's. Daft to not have even thought of it. But isn't it funny we insulate only to make holes to let the air in? 🤔. Thanks all!

Asdf12345 Tue 14-Jan-20 19:32:17

It did feel like vandalism but the results were absolutely worth it.

Arkdg Tue 14-Jan-20 22:10:17

Good idea to shut bathroom kitchen and WC doors and ensure trickle vents open or window in vent position. Upvc windows all have a vent position. This allows moisture to vent out and reduces condensation problems. Not forgetting to close any windows where a burgulars can get in.Vent bedrooms lounge ect at least a hour every few days if hot and stuffy.

BubblesBuddy Tue 14-Jan-20 22:11:51

Houses must breathe! They are not meant to be sealed like tombs! You need some fresh air so use the vents!

TiddleTaddleTat Tue 14-Jan-20 22:28:11

Blimmin eck I wish my house was a bit stuffier. Its very draughty. Rarely need to open the windows here, I've got the wind whistling through the bedroom now in fact!

sueelleker Wed 15-Jan-20 19:07:32

UPVC here; although the house doesn't smell stuffy, I do open the back door when I come down, to air the house out a bit. (Unless it's very cold/wet out.)

minipie Wed 15-Jan-20 22:41:21

Our new double glazed wood sashes don’t have trickle vents (we asked for them without) and it’s not stuffy. Mind you we always leave the bathroom window open a crack in the mornings for ventilation. Maybe that’s all you need to do?

Benq75 Fri 17-Jan-20 17:18:41

Hi All - I manage a Social Media Account for Sliding Sash Solutions www.slidingsashsolutions.co.uk and the guys here have prepared the following response to your issue... hope it helps:

Original sash windows have inherent problems due to gaps around the perimeter and so let in lots of cold drafts and lead to heat escaping. Your new windows will have perimeter seals which will prevent these problems, leading to greater heat retention and comfort levels.

Original Georgian and Victorian homes have lots of natural ventilation through fireplaces, floorboards and lack of insulation in walls. In addition, the original lime plaster will allow your home to breathe naturally. Draft proofing your sash windows should not be a problem. Often the problem is when people re-plaster/skim over lime plaster and prevent their homes from breathing naturally.

Did you have lots of condensation before you replaced your windows ? The moisture in the warm air in your home condenses when the air becomes cooler, usually at night when the heating is switched off. It will always condense to the coldest part of the room. The coldest part of your rooms used to be the single glazing but is now (due to your double glazing) probably the exterior walls. If there has been some re-plastering done, the moisture is probably condensing there which is leading to the smell you are referring to. It might be worth checking behind draws and cupboards etc. to see if there is trapped moisture and/or mould present.

One answer might be good extractor fans in kitchens and bathrooms to reduce the moisture content and keep the doors closed between these and other rooms. Rooms do need air changes but you shouldn’t need to have your windows open constantly. Trickle vents may help but they are only required for new builds where they seal everything up as opposed to letting the building breathe. They may well help you with air changes but I doubt that they are the answer.

Restrictor locks can be retrofitted to your windows to enable you to open them slightly without compromising security. Trickle vents look fine on plastic windows but look awful on timber sash windows.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »