Talk

Advanced search

Damp patch around window

(10 Posts)
Violetroselily Mon 13-Jan-20 06:38:04

I've noticed a small damp patch in the corner of the wall joining the upvc window. There is another patch on the opposite corner. Not wet to touch but paint has flaked away where I've scratched it

do I just need to reseal? The sealant is quite old/worn with some very slight gaps

AdoreTheBeach Mon 13-Jan-20 06:45:27

You’ve answered your own question. Yes, reseal.

MillStone Mon 13-Jan-20 06:46:19

Is the window in an area exposed to high winds? And does it generally occur when it is very windy ... or is it all the time?

MillStone Mon 13-Jan-20 06:48:07

Obviously raining too...

Nottobesniffedat Mon 13-Jan-20 06:59:25

Mine gets this with condensation in the winter, then it becomes mouldy. I wipe off with a damp cloth with bleach, then touch up with paint. We used to crack a window open, then got a dehumidifier but still it comes.

You can reseal and paint, there is a Stainstop product that you can spray over damp patches before painting but will be tricky in that area.

Violetroselily Mon 13-Jan-20 07:39:47

Thanks. There was a fair amount of condensation on the window this morning when I noticed it. Haven't noticed that it's any worse when raining or windy.

As a bit of a DIY novice, is it worth getting someone in to do it? does all of the old sealant need to be removed first? blush

AdoreTheBeach Mon 13-Jan-20 12:09:26

It’s far neater looking to remove old sealant, clean, then apply new sealant. It will look better and the new sealant will adhere better on a clean, even surface.

If you’re worried about being near, try on some cardboard first to get used to flow and pressure needed to put on new sealant.

johnd2 Mon 13-Jan-20 12:23:39

Yes if there's no mould it must be from outside.
The sealant on the outside is the one that needs doing not the inside.
Take a photo of the edge of the window on the outside so we can advise what to do. One of the whole window and one if the edge

Violetroselily Mon 13-Jan-20 12:59:23

It's a first floor flat so I will struggle to get a photo of the sealant outside grin

Is it worth me doing the inside first and then getting someone to do the outside?

johnd2 Mon 13-Jan-20 21:33:32

If it's a flat chances are it will be the free holders responsibility.
There won't be any point doing the inside as that's not relate to the problem, it's mostly just for cosmetic reasons

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »