Talk

Advanced search

Asbestos!

(5 Posts)
showmethegin Sun 12-Jan-20 18:40:11

We have just had our survey come back. We are trying to buy a Victorian semi and one thing has jumped out of the report. It appears the down pipe at the rear needs urgent replacement, it has vegetation growing from it and they suspect the hopper is asbestos (and damaged!). I understand asbestos is very dangerous when damaged like this so obviously needs to be dealt with.

My question is, should we suggest that the vendor pay for this work to be carried out prior to sale or is it our responsibility? We are FTB so still getting my head around it all.

wowfudge Sun 12-Jan-20 19:05:35

Better to get a quote for replacement and proper disposal then weigh up whether it's worth asking for a discount on the agreed sale price for the work than ask the sellers to have the work done. That way you have control and get the paperwork for the disposal. It's suspected asbestos so it might just be plastic with no asbestos content anyway.

Slightlysurviving Mon 13-Jan-20 13:58:31

Don't panic just call up a couple of firms for a quote. Once you know the size of the bill you can negotiate from there. We bought a house with asbestos, but the price reflects the work. If they get it done you need to know it was done properly so ask for the disposal receipt.

Funf Tue 14-Jan-20 19:46:29

A good removal contractor will give you a copy of there insurance, method statements and all disposal paper work dont worry just get it professionally removed with the correct paper trail

Bowerbird5 Tue 14-Jan-20 22:57:41

My friend says as long as you get it removed professionally so they dispose of it correctly then it isn't a problem. I think I would negotiate with the sellers about getting a quote and then decide whether to continue or ask them to do the work first.
My friend is experienced and works alongside planners and knows what they are talking about.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »