Creating a kitchen diner

(21 Posts)
user1489228947 Thu 02-Jan-20 12:38:59

Hello all,

We moved into a lovely 1930s semi about six months ago. Downstairs has two good sized reception rooms and a good sized kitchen (no room for table though), which has a utility and pantry off of it. We are planning on removing the wall between the kitchen and back reception room to create a kitchen diner, as the room that is currently the 'dining room' rarely gets used, and we want to maximise our use of the space. We will keep the pantry and utility as seperate areas. Although this was all my idea, I'm starting to worry this is the wrong decision and wondered if anyone else has done this and their levels of satisfaction?

Also, the builder has said their is no needs for building regs - a RSJ is required. Does this sound right? Dont want any prolems if come to sell the house in the future. This is the biggest project we have done and its all a bit daunting!

Love to hear your thoughts/experiences

OP’s posts: |
MTJTD Thu 02-Jan-20 13:28:12

Sounds fairly normal; you'd end up with a short section of remaining wall either side with a large steel beam across the top, supporting the weight of the upstairs.

Kitchen/diners are rather sought after and can add a lot of light and function to an open-plan downstairs area.

Mosaic123 Fri 03-Jan-20 08:43:03

Sounds good to me. I always wonder if people need an island and a table in a kitchen diner though. Is that what you are planning?

I'd rather fit a small sofa in than an island or a desk

Africa2go Fri 03-Jan-20 10:03:02

We've done this twice in different houses. Exactly the same scenario as under-utilised space in the dining room. As far as I know however, you need building regs for this type of work.

Soontobe60 Fri 03-Jan-20 10:10:53
You don't need planning permission, but you do need to follow building regs for the RSJ. I'm guessing that's what your builder meant? A friend removed some internal walls and a building inspector came round to sign it off, which you'd need if you're planning on selling up in the future.

We have a kitchen diner. Actually, the dining table is in the kitchen, it's a small fold out one, and the dining area has a couch and tv in it instead. We spend all our time in there!

bilbodog Fri 03-Jan-20 10:50:01

Go for it - it sounds great but you will need building regs.

MarieG10 Fri 03-Jan-20 11:02:17

Yes done similar but in the form of extending as well. I love the open plan space. We use it all the time as just extends as part of the kitchen. It is large though so makes it easier.

You may need a structural engineer to calculate the steel sizes required. Depending on the size, you may also need the wall nibs that it sits on reinforcing as many of them just sit in a thin concrete base and cannot take the additional weight concentrated on small pillars

Mosaic123 Fri 03-Jan-20 12:06:55

I think you definitely need a structural engineer.

buckeejit Fri 03-Jan-20 23:16:56

We did it & was great. Dining room never used & couldn't comfortably fit table & chairs in previous kitchen space. Debated over an island & got one in the end & love it.

I'd defo get building regs for rsj though. We did & no probs

buckeejit Fri 03-Jan-20 23:17:54

Yes, also get structural engineer to do calcs & measurements did RSJ to show council

BentNeckLady Fri 03-Jan-20 23:25:08

We went the other way and converted our garage/outhouse & kitchen in to a massive L shaped kitchen diner & utility room. We didn’t want to lose the two reception rooms as we’ve got a living room each. It’s completely changed our house and it pretty much doubled the floor space.

It was much more expensive that what your proposing but worth thinking about too.

user1489228947 Mon 13-Jan-20 09:02:16

Thanks all - the structural work is all done now - it hasn't been anywhere near as bad as I though. All very straightforwards really. Just seems the work needs to be signed off and that's it!

OP’s posts: |
fromcitytocountry Mon 13-Jan-20 09:03:36

Can I ask if you needed a structural engineer to calculate the RSJ or did your builder arrange this for you?

user1489228947 Mon 13-Jan-20 09:04:07

Yes BentNeckLady, we thought about going the other way but our house doesn't have external side access - we have to go through the garage and utility, and it wouldn't appeal to me to be taking garden waste etc through the kitchen. Sounds lovely though, and great that you have a huge kitchen diner and still two reception rooms! Would have done the same if we had external access to the garden.

OP’s posts: |
AGreatUsername Mon 13-Jan-20 10:52:38

We did similar. We had an awkward middle through room, tiny kitchen and tiny dining room. We knocked through and made a big kitchen diner. I love it. We use the island for casual seating and the table for actual meals. I’ll try and link our Rightmove listing now to show you it.

Mona Place, Tremorfa, Cardiff

user1489228947 Mon 13-Jan-20 11:42:50

The builder arranged the RSJ - a structural engineer didn’t come round. I’ve been round to most of our neighbours who have had similar work and they said the same.

OP’s posts: |
user1489228947 Mon 13-Jan-20 11:46:00

Wow that is stunning AGreatUsername! Love it. The only issues we are having are with radiator placement and also our fridge freezer will remain in the utility, with a single fridge in the pantry. So the kitchen section itself doesn’t have a fridge - no space for a tall one and didn’t want an under counter one as they are so small.

OP’s posts: |
AGreatUsername Mon 13-Jan-20 12:13:05

We had 4 steels put in and required building regs. They have to visit at specific times in the process so I’d ask your local council planning department. If you don’t get them they can demand you rip all the plaster works off etc for inspections when you come to sell.

We were left with only 2 places for radiators in a very large room, we went with extremely high BTU ones and hoped for the best, it’s very cosy in here. Too cosy with the oven on too! Could you have an undercounter fridge for everyday essentials like milk? I think I’d find it annoying going out of my way every time I made a cuppa but maybe I’m extremely lazy haha.

user1489228947 Mon 13-Jan-20 13:35:10

Thanks - just spoke to council and they are sending someone round to inspect on Wednesday providing i get a form to them this afternoon. No plastering yet so that worked out well. Builder maintained this morning we don’t need an inspection and although his work is extremely high standard etc I do find that a bit worrying!

Yes, the fridge situation is what it is. Thought long and hard about it but it’s the best option for us - when we come to sell people can always open up the pantry if they want a large fridge in the kitchen but I would rather have the pantry and cupboard space.

OP’s posts: |
natt256 Mon 13-Jan-20 20:04:41

Hi. We had a builder round today to get a quote to knock our kitchen/dining room through. I'm really hoping it's not going to be too much! Can I ask roughly how much it cost you? Thanks

user1489228947 Tue 14-Jan-20 08:47:19

Our building work, plastering, kitchen installation etc is about £9k, the kitchen £8k (down from 12), floors will be about 2k.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in