Talk

Advanced search

Bathroom extractor fan that reduces draughts

(4 Posts)
Thesunrising Sun 01-Dec-19 22:47:41

I might be asking the impossible, but here goes....

The extractor fan in our bathroom, on an outside wall, appears to be the source of a considerable fraught that is pulling in to our house - and with it not just cold air but the smell (and pollution) of neighbouring houses’ wood burning stoves.

Is there such a thing as a extractor fan that contains a filter to clean air that is sucked in or one that reduces the inward flow of air. It’s driving me nuts!

SpoonBlender Sun 01-Dec-19 23:05:29

They usually have anti-inflow flaps, yours may be stuck or otherwise busted.

Recently fitted a new bathroom one myself, www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CJ8L8ZM?tag=mumsnetforu03-21 which has its own flap behind the fan and we have something similar to this on the outside of the vent: www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06W59KB43/?tag=mumsnetforu03-21

Our house always gets the wind on the wall the vent is, and those stop it getting inside. The old fan let some in.

Connecting it up was mildly annoying - you have to be capable with mains wiring and the mounting holes might not match your existing one perfectly. I made new holes in the fan rather than re--drill our crappy wall.

PigletJohn Mon 02-Dec-19 16:05:19

yes, there is, but I doubt that's what you need.

A bathroom extractor fan pushes the hot, steamy air out of the bathroom, and (unless the room is airtight) it will be replaced by new air. In a house this usually enters through the gap under the bathroom door. If your house is very cold, this new air will feel cold.

However, if you have gaps or holes in the walls or floor (especially under the bath, out of sight behind the panel) or around the windows (especially where relacement windows have been shoddily fitted) you will get cold draughts.

Unless you smoke (vom) buy a pack of joss sticks and waft them around the bathroom to see where the draughts are coming from.

Also please post a photo of your extractor fan, with something to show scale, in case it is the size of a helicopter blade; and also of the vent on the outside of the wall, where the fan exhaust comes out. It should have a draught-prevention device.

Saisong Mon 02-Dec-19 16:08:00

DH fitted a fan in our bathroom that has a cover that slides open when you turn it on and closed again when you turn it off. Seems effective in keeping out draughts when the fan is not being used.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »