Talk

Advanced search

How to clean brass on front door

(19 Posts)
happy97 Sat 30-Nov-19 11:44:33

It's heavily tarnished. Brasso hasn't really worked!

I know it would look amazing if I could get it clean so any advice would be much appreciated!

isseywith4vampirecats Sat 30-Nov-19 14:56:22

just keep brassoing it each time you do it another layer of tarnish will come off or go to halfords and get their metal cleaning cream its stronger than brasso and economical a bit goes a long way

Kensie Sat 30-Nov-19 15:05:05

Pink stuff/cream cleaner with a soft scouring pad

PigletJohn Sat 30-Nov-19 16:46:05

If it is too tarnished for brasso wadding (which is better than liquid) get a tube of Solvol Autosol metal polish from a motorists shop or Ebay. It's like a tube of toothpaste.

Use a rough cotton cloth like a bit of old towel, or a nylon toothbrush. If very corroded you can use a WHITE nylon scouring pad.

You may find it easier to remove the door furniture. It will be fixed with brass bolts or nuts on the inside of the door. Don't lose them. You can use new washers on reassembly to protect the paint.

isseywith4vampirecats Sat 30-Nov-19 17:53:26

autosol was the metal cream i was thinking of thank you piglet john it really is good stuff

tenredthings Sat 30-Nov-19 18:00:32

Soak with vinegar then rub with salt and lemon. You'll see results really quickly.

happy97 Sat 30-Nov-19 19:09:36

@tenredthings Can I soak a cloth in vinegar? I can't get all the furniture off the door!

tenredthings Sun 01-Dec-19 00:04:55

Yep, that should work.

Ginfordinner Sun 01-Dec-19 00:38:05

Bar Keepers Friend cream cleaner. It has to be the cream cleaner not the spray. It is miraculous stuff.

DesMartinsPetCat Sun 01-Dec-19 00:42:34

Ketchup.

Seriously. Some ketchup on a cloth, dab all over the brass and let sit for a few mins then scrub. Wash off well with warm water.

UnfamousPoster Mon 02-Dec-19 10:23:25

A friend of mine has just cleaned all his heavily tarnished copper outdoor fittings with ketchup - hasn't come up perfectly but took the worst of it off, so there's no harm in giving it a go!

Otherwise - maybe try lemon and baking powder?

NotMyFIrstTIme Mon 02-Dec-19 13:46:18

I've successfully used a liquid metal polish and fine-grade wire wool on a spectacularly tarnished letter box. Whatever cleaning agent you use, I'd definitely recommend fine grade wire wool as being more effective than any cloth.

happy97 Mon 02-Dec-19 20:41:53

Ketchup really did get lots off. I've applied more brasso too so will persevere.

I might try the ketchup again with the car cleaner and some fine wire wool.

Higgeldypiggeldy35 Tue 03-Dec-19 09:55:17

Bicarb soda and a damp toothbrush

happy97 Tue 03-Dec-19 14:41:43

@Higgeldypiggeldy35 Made into a paste?

Higgeldypiggeldy35 Tue 03-Dec-19 14:59:38

Sort of yes. The water on the tooth brush does that. I had a really tarnished door number that this worked on. Then I buffed it with a cloth and white wine vinegar

ODFOx Tue 03-Dec-19 16:12:26

No wire wool! You'll never get the scratches out!
When the fittings were new they would have had a lacquer on them. If you are trying to polish around the lacquer it will be patchy.
Remove from door and give them a good going over with paint stripper. Polishing will be much easier then!

happy97 Tue 03-Dec-19 18:47:23

@ODFOx Not even a fine wire wool? They are looking much better but in my usual fashion I want to have instant quick results.

There are 4/5 things. Door knocker, number (looking better already), knob/handle type thing in the middle, and letterbox. The door latch is the least of my worries.

PigletJohn Tue 03-Dec-19 18:54:38

I don't see the point in Mrs Beeton's home-made remedies when you can get professionally developed metal polish in Halfords.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »