Talk

Advanced search

Painting 14 rooms in four days!!

(133 Posts)
Kyriesmum1 Sat 30-Nov-19 00:53:25

So while hubby is away with the three oldest dd's I have decided to paint 14 rooms of our new house in the four days he's away whilst still looking after an 8 mth old bubba! Am I crazy?? 😂

Anyway today was day one and I've done hallway and stairs. Was hoping to have started another room at least but I have prepped ready for a few hours time when bubba wakes up 🤪

MoonlightBonnet Thu 12-Dec-19 19:33:41

We’ve had the walls replastered in a very similar house and the picture rail and skirting boards are fine.

Kyriesmum1 Thu 12-Dec-19 17:39:11

No not replacing them as all original to house! The plaster has blown in a few places and the people before have done a rubbish job on filling holes etc. Hoping it won't impact on how they look!

The stairs I did with a very tall ladder and a bag of nerves leaning over lol! Probably not the safest 🤪

DavetheCat2001 Thu 12-Dec-19 10:28:29

Top work OP! 💪

chewable24 Thu 12-Dec-19 09:32:58

Well done OP your house looks lovely. How can you do stairway in 3 storey house of this type without scaffolding though? My house is very similar and I just cant see how it is possible to reach to even just below the picture rail on the stairwell. Any tips to do this would be very welcome to save installing scaffolding again.

Why are you replastering all the walls as surely it will impact the skirting and picture rail or are you replacing them all which seems a huge shame?

Kyriesmum1 Thu 12-Dec-19 00:42:41

@AlbertWinestein thank you!! Today I wallpapered babies wall in our bedroom for her! Painting is much easier, will never ever wallpaper another wall in my life!

AlbertWinestein Wed 11-Dec-19 13:47:14

I feel bad for being sceptical now. Well done! And HUGE congratulations on the adoption. That’s fantastic.

imabusybee Thu 05-Dec-19 22:07:07

Congratulations on the adoption grin

dudsville Thu 05-Dec-19 07:15:11

Wow! I missed your updates so have only just caught up, you are fabulous op! Hope your blisters are healing up! Your family must be so pleased.

PenelopeFlintstone Thu 05-Dec-19 06:21:05

@PenelopeFlintstone I do use mini rollers.
Oh, good. 😊 It hadn’t occurred to me till I saw the video.

PickAChew Wed 04-Dec-19 23:16:33

Congratulations, @Kyriesmum1 !

PickAChew Wed 04-Dec-19 23:13:12

@PenelopeFlintstone I do use mini rollers. Used to use the Harris ones, but the quality dropped and I got sick of picking fluff out as I went along, but I've started ordering in the Purdy ones - a little bit longer and quite a lot more expensive but still very light. I have HMS, so break rooms down into sections and rarely spend more than 2-3 hours in a day painting.

It's only in the past few years that i started to find full size rollers too heavy - annoying since we moved into this scruffy, unloved house, 2 years ago and it still needs a lot of TLC!

avocuddl Wed 04-Dec-19 22:35:41

Congrats OP! You're superwoman! Now go and relax!!

FrancisCrawford Wed 04-Dec-19 18:27:22

Congratulations and well done

KitKat1985 Wed 04-Dec-19 16:42:40

Congrats OP!

Even if you don't quite manage all 14 rooms in 4 days (which is really ambitious!) what you've done looks great!

Kyriesmum1 Wed 04-Dec-19 16:33:02

Also we have officially become parents to the baby today!! New home new baby! Life couldn't get much better ❤️

Kyriesmum1 Wed 04-Dec-19 16:19:32

The marks in skirting were dirt so all wood work has been cleaned. The floor is vinyl tiles and we had to put it down as baby has started crawling and the floor wasn't suitable for her to be crawling over. It will be covered for the plastering and will eventually go through to the kitchen diner once the wall has been removed so if needed we can replace any damaged bits then.

I did also polyfiller the holes in places where nails phone sockets were removed. I used the polyfiller quick drying stuff and sanded it before painting. Didn't take long x

userxx Wed 04-Dec-19 13:51:39

Bloody hell, my house has only 5 rooms and I still got someone in to decorate. Feel ashamed of myself now smile

PenelopeFlintstone Wed 04-Dec-19 13:40:26

Is the hallway floor vinyl planks or from a roll of vinyl?

ChardonnaysDistantCousin Wed 04-Dec-19 13:29:23

Wow!

How did you manage all that and the floor?

MoonlightBonnet Wed 04-Dec-19 13:23:48

The house is lovely, ours is similar age and features and I love it. Everything looks much better in the after pictures.

@MyKingdomForBrie is right though, the scuffs in the gloss work have gone in the after pictures in the hall. There’s also polyfilla in the pictures so someone has clearly been doing more than just slap a coat of paint on. And it’s madness to put an expensive new floor down if you were going to replaster! It looks lovely, doesn’t really matter if it was done in two hours or whatever.

PenelopeFlintstone Wed 04-Dec-19 13:15:53

PickaChew I watched a YouTube video a while ago where a woman used a mini roller to paint a room. Average sized room.
It sounds like it would be really slow but one day I tried it with a pack of mini roller, tray and several heads from the Aldi decorating promotion. Cheap as chips.
I could not believe how easy it was. So light!! It really was very surprising to me. Yes, the roller is half the width but it’s light as a feather so not at all tiring. Might work for you.

Southmouth Wed 04-Dec-19 13:08:38

This is making me feel really lazy! I’ve been decorating my hallway for absolutely ages and I’m still not finished. I think I need to hire you grin

Kyriesmum1 Wed 04-Dec-19 10:37:23

@Ohdearme81

We have a few social workers!

One who supports us for fostering
One who is supporting our application for adoption
And one for our disabled daughter

It's our fostering one who said I'm a Duracell bunny as she's known us two years and says every time she visits I've decorated or done a change around in the house 😂

MyKingdomForBrie Tue 03-Dec-19 20:50:01

@MeTheCoolOne well many of the scuffs and knocks in the gloss work have disappeared between the before and after photos so I'm not sure why the derision really.. I would have responded earlier but you spelt the tag wrong.

OP I haven't finished one room that I've been working on for several months (cannot face the rest of the cutting in) so I am in awe.

PickAChew Tue 03-Dec-19 20:21:08

My shoulders and hands are smarting after seeing how much you've done.

I can't even use a full size roller any more so everything takes me ages sad I've found some amazing no grip paintbrushes that I've been using to varnish newly laid flooring, this week, though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »