Talk

Advanced search

Painting 14 rooms in four days!!

(133 Posts)
Kyriesmum1 Sat 30-Nov-19 00:53:25

So while hubby is away with the three oldest dd's I have decided to paint 14 rooms of our new house in the four days he's away whilst still looking after an 8 mth old bubba! Am I crazy?? 😂

Anyway today was day one and I've done hallway and stairs. Was hoping to have started another room at least but I have prepped ready for a few hours time when bubba wakes up 🤪

SpoonBlender Sat 30-Nov-19 00:59:36

Blimey. Best of luck! I'd suggest making sure that rooms are completed (two or whatever coats) is more important than getting all 14 done. And don't beat yourself up if you don't make them all, it's a mad target!

AlbertWinestein Sat 30-Nov-19 01:03:02

There’s painting a room and then there’s painting a room. If you haphazardly paint 14 rooms, it’s going to look crap. Plus, what about the baby and the fumes?!

PenelopeFlintstone Sat 30-Nov-19 01:05:15

You might be crazy but you’re also inspiring me! I don’t have a baby and ought to really crack on with some painting. I’ll follow this thread to see how you go. I suppose it depends what condition the rooms are in now. Good luck!

MeTheCoolOne Sat 30-Nov-19 01:06:01

That sounds unrealistic. Are you just doing the walls with one coat? More of a freshen up than a paint?

FelixFelicis6 Sat 30-Nov-19 01:08:59

Is that healthy for your baby...? Paint fumes aren't great even for adults...

DramaAlpaca Sat 30-Nov-19 01:11:10

Good luck with that. It's simply not possible to paint that many rooms in so few days and do it properly. I'm good at decorating & it takes me three days to do one room perfectly, and that's without a 'bubba' hideous word to look after.

BlueBirdGreenFence Sat 30-Nov-19 01:11:36

I would do all the taping first, paint all the rooms that are the same colour one after the other then start at the beginning again for touching up. Repeat for the second coat. Don't skip the second coat. You'll be tempted to but you'll regret it!

BustedDreams Sat 30-Nov-19 01:37:30

Crumbs ... 14! You perhaps need to do it Mr Bean style ... explosives on side of paint tin in middle of room .... BOOOOM ... job done grin

iswhois Sat 30-Nov-19 01:54:02

Crumbs good luck, I managed 1 room in 3 days, although was only painting after work so say 7pm-midnight. Did also involve a lot of lining paper repair and polyfiller/ sanding as well. Did a fab job though!!!

advice is day 1- do all cutting in (painting round cielings, skirtings etc) and if you have time do initial coat of paint in a couple of rooms

Day 2 - do second coat of cutting in, trust me it pays to get this laborious shite out of the way. And then second coat of a few rooms if you have time.

Day 3- first coat of other rooms (cutting in already done!!grin) so just a roller job- although prepare for blisters galore

Day 4 - second coat of remaining rooms.

OrangeSwoosh Sat 30-Nov-19 01:54:15

Is this just a stealth boast at the size of your house? 🤔

MeTheCoolOne Sat 30-Nov-19 02:07:26

Is this just a stealth boast at the size of your house^
🤔
Maybe it's a teeny tiny house with teeny tiny rooms: hence the OPs attempt to paint 14 rooms so quickly.

SomeHalfHumanCreatureThing Sat 30-Nov-19 02:10:03

😂
Don't be so fucking ridiculous

PlumsGalore Sat 30-Nov-19 07:05:32

Sorry but it will look crap. Isnt this the kind of lead times Changing Rooms used to take, and they had a team of “painters”. Even all those years ago I could see on an edited programme on a small TV what a shoddy job they did.

8by8 Sat 30-Nov-19 07:28:30

Sorry but this is a bonkers idea.

Just paint one or two rooms and do it properly

Mumof1andacat Sat 30-Nov-19 07:37:08

If u have 14 rooms in your house, I'm sure you can afford to get a company in to do it for you.

MarieG10 Sat 30-Nov-19 07:52:53

Yes you are crazy. Do it properly and that includes the woodwork

Apolloanddaphne Sat 30-Nov-19 07:54:27

Just choose the 2 or 3 that need doing most and concentrate on doing them properly.

Bartlet Sat 30-Nov-19 07:56:24

Love the stealth boast about the number of rooms. But back to answering your original question. It’ll look absolute crap if you do it that quickly. You’d be better off doing nothing than bodging a paint job that quickly.

saywhatwhatnow Sat 30-Nov-19 08:00:15

Crazy. It's just taken us 2 days to paint fairly average sized double room including woodwork (done very well but still). And a third day to sort all new furniture, replace everything etc. That was with a one year old in tow who napped. Good luck op!

PigletJohn Sat 30-Nov-19 08:40:14

I wonder what experience you based that estimate on?

madeyemoodysmum Sat 30-Nov-19 08:45:30

4 maybe but 14. How is that even possible??

Kyriesmum1 Sat 30-Nov-19 08:56:40

My house I'm on three floors, baby is out during the day with friends and family and the back lounge isn't being painted so she isn't exposed to fumes.

Only walls need painting woodwork is fine and this is our new house so just want to freshen up all the rooms by painting them in colours we like instead of the hideous orange and pink the previous owners liked!

I have brought dulux trade paint and am doing two coats. Was up til 12:30 last night - started at 10am and took 4:30-7:30 break once baby was brought home until she went to bed.

Kyriesmum1 Sat 30-Nov-19 08:57:52

Also we plan to have all the rooms plastered one at a time next year but just wanted to make our house ours x

Kyriesmum1 Sat 30-Nov-19 08:58:25

That picture was before second coat went on x

BusterGonad Sat 30-Nov-19 09:20:42

100% stealth boost.

Lindy2 Sat 30-Nov-19 09:25:06

14 is too much. Why rush it and end up with a rubbish job being done.

If you're not doing woodworking then that will save a lot of time but 14 rooms in 4 days is rather on the crazy side.

Alyic Sat 30-Nov-19 09:26:26

Don't knock yourself up trying to do too much, your house looks fabulous

MeTheCoolOne Sat 30-Nov-19 10:18:00

That's a beautiful hall 😍😍

If it's just a freshen up and doesn't matter if it's not a great finish as the walls will be getting replastered in the future then maybe there is a possibility.
Hopefully the colours you are covering are pale.
I guess you have trade size rollers etc. The long handle attachments will help.
Are the rooms completely empty?

I still don't think it's enough time but you might be able to do a good few of them.

💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻

dudsville Sat 30-Nov-19 10:23:54

I love your entrance hall, and I love that aim high! Good luck!

Bogoffrain Sat 30-Nov-19 10:32:22

Bloody bonkers. If you are planning on replastering the whole house put your paint tin away and get you biscuit tin out! Enjoy a few days peace with your baby! You can paint after the plastering

ineedaholidaynow Sat 30-Nov-19 11:48:57

Will you be regularly using all 14 rooms? I would concentrate on the ones you use most if you are trying to get as much done in 4 days.

The house must stink of paint though so surely the baby is being exposed to fumes.

Are there any friends or family who can help out?

Kyriesmum1 Sat 30-Nov-19 12:24:28

We have an annex at the back which I'm not painting which is where we are staying! Yes all rooms are regularly used - we are a large family. I decorated the annex a couple of weeks ago and I did this knowing I would be decorating the rest in one go. X

TorysSuckRevokeArticle50 Sat 30-Nov-19 12:39:09

Trying to figure out what the 14 rooms are:

Kitchen
Reception
Living room
Downstairs WC
Utility

So that's 5

How many bedrooms are there?

Kyriesmum1 Sat 30-Nov-19 13:31:51

1 - hall stairs and landing
2- lounge 1 (quiet room)
3 - lounge 2 (playroom)
4 - dining room
5 - kitchen
6- downstairs bathroom
7 - utility room
8 - 1st floor bath room
9 - dd bedroom
10 - dd bedroom
11 - dd bedroom
12 - study
13 - my bedroom
14 - 2nd floor bathroom

We have another spare bedroom but that was already nicely decorated when we moved in so not needing a freshen up!

The bathrooms literally take half an hour for each coat as very little wall space around tiling 😅

Just having a cuppa then back on it!!

AlexaAmbidextra Sat 30-Nov-19 22:16:44

your house looks fabulous

😂. It’s a beige hallway with a ladder in it. How can that look fabulous?

Kyriesmum1 Sun 01-Dec-19 00:17:58

It's not beige it's polished pebble which is grey.

Thank you to those of you who have been nice to me! 😁

Will add some before and after photos of what I've achieved today x

Kyriesmum1 Sun 01-Dec-19 00:18:55

Hallway before

Kyriesmum1 Sun 01-Dec-19 00:19:31

Hall after

Kyriesmum1 Sun 01-Dec-19 00:20:59

Can't add more today as there is a limit of 6 a day 😖

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor Sun 01-Dec-19 00:25:15

It's not beige it's polished pebble which is grey

Ha ha I think you inadvertently insulted the OP by suggesting her hallway was beige 😉

Ginfordinner Sun 01-Dec-19 00:28:11

It took me 2 days to paint two coats in one room. I don't believe that you can make a decent job of painting so many rooms in such a short space of time.

But I am a perfectionist when it comes to decorating.

Kyriesmum1 Sun 01-Dec-19 00:55:20

@Ginfordinner all the walls in this new house have been painted a hideous orange yellow or pink colour. We plan to replaster all the rooms one at a time next year but in the mean time needed to change the colour of the rooms so I can sit in them and not feel sick at the colours.

I'm not doing any wood work just painting the walls, frog tape is my friend as it prevents me from getting the colours on the woodwork and speeds the painting up as I don't have to spend ages cutting in.

I know I'm not going to manage all 14 rooms as it was too ambitious but Ive completed four rooms so far and have prepped and first coated another room which I'll finish tomorrow along with as many others as I can before collapsing into bed around midnight and await the 5 am feed 😝

SD1978 Sun 01-Dec-19 01:25:46

And you laid a floor as well as painting........what's the allowed timeframe for that?

Bogoffrain Sun 01-Dec-19 05:34:44

Impressive, especially the new floor. You are better than Bob the Builder.

BustedDreams Sun 01-Dec-19 07:01:43

I love the large airy hallway. Lots of light coming in. Have you also laid a new floor? You oups get work on 60 minute make over 😬

BustedDreams Sun 01-Dec-19 07:02:10

Oups! Could! Silly spell check.

EmmiJay Sun 01-Dec-19 07:06:02

I'd stealth boast if my house was that big! Looks lovely (the paint work)

MarthasGinYard Sun 01-Dec-19 07:13:43

Can I ask how on you did the stairs on your own, it took two of us two days to do ours and we only have 2 floors. Are your walls not really high on your stairs?

dudsville Sun 01-Dec-19 07:18:10

Keep going op! Looking forward to more pics!
I go around my house annually with paint doing bits or whole walls. My house is half the size of yours and it takes me about 4 hours.

Kyriesmum1 Sun 01-Dec-19 08:33:59

Lol no the floor was done by the fitter!!

We have picture rails so and the high bits are already white so didn't need painting so only had to go upto picture rail so not very high thank god, could reach on tiptoes 😁

Thanks for all the support!! Taking a break this morning to spend time with little one for a couple of hours then back on it x

MyKingdomForBrie Sun 01-Dec-19 08:42:12

The woodwork has very obviously been painted between those pictures OP.. and how did you paint it while the floor was being fitted... what are you playing at?!

MeTheCoolOne Sun 01-Dec-19 08:57:58

The woodwork has very obviously been painted between those pictures OP.. and how did you paint it while the floor was being fitted... what are you playing at?!

Lol, what are you on about MyKingdonForBrie 😂. The paintwork doesn’t look like it’s be painted between photos. It’s come up slightly whiter in one photo than the other because that’s what happens when you take quick snaps under different lighting conditions at different times of the day.

Kyriesmum1 Sun 01-Dec-19 09:01:41

The hall was painted the night before the floor was laid and photos were taken at different times of day hence why it looks whiter in some pictures. I've got loads more pics but mn will only let me post a few each day.

I spent yesterday while floor was being laid doing bath room and lounges 1&2 x

Ginfordinner Sun 01-Dec-19 10:21:26

How do you paint so quickly?

MillStone Sun 01-Dec-19 10:51:33

Those floorboards would be great once sanded and treated. Even just painted.

GinAndBubbles Sun 01-Dec-19 11:00:29

Great job @Kyriesmum1!!

Ariela Sun 01-Dec-19 12:14:42

Perfectly possible, but rope in others if needs be.

I had a friend divorcing and he needed to sell the house. Three of us did a lot of preparation work such as masking tape off the windows etc, and we invited friends to a divorce party 'wear old clothes you do not mind being ruined' Had a supply of paint and brushes and we got the whole house done between 7 and 10, then partied in the garden (sorry neighbours) till one while the paint dried. Looked ok too.

AliciaFleas Sun 01-Dec-19 12:19:01

Oh dear god <faints>

I will read the whole thread later when I have the energy!

Kyriesmum1 Sun 01-Dec-19 14:48:00

@Ginfordinner I do 2/3 rooms at a time, do one coat and while waiting for it to dry do a coat in the next room and so on. So much easier with hubby and kids out as I don't have to keep stopping to sort them out, and I'm fairly sure I've burnt more calories than I take in when ordering a takeaway in the eve lol

My fantastic sister is helping with painting and my friends and family have helped out looking after bubba. She's up at 5 so I get a good couple of hours playing with her in the morning before she goes and she's back for dinner bath and bed and then I carry on until 12ish. I literally only stop to pee drink and eat when she's not here or is in bed x

TinklyLittleLaugh Sun 01-Dec-19 16:26:15

Your house looks like it has loads of potential OP. Not sure about that new floor though; why don’t you just sand your floorboards?

Kyriesmum1 Sun 01-Dec-19 18:33:03

@TinklyLittleLaugh

We were hoping that the floors would be salvageable because the floor in snug is beautiful but when we took up the carpets there was too much damage. We've gone for the vinyl as we will continue it through the kitchen diner once the wall has been removed x

Ginfordinner Sun 01-Dec-19 18:42:13

My fantastic sister is helping with painting

That makes a huge difference. I paint on my own.

AliciaFleas Sun 01-Dec-19 19:04:05

How do you avoid getting paint on the ceiling OP. That is what puts me off painting sad

Your house looks lovely btw.

Kyriesmum1 Sun 01-Dec-19 19:52:27

@AliciaFleas thank you, I'm in love with our new house too! We were very lucky that the estate agent bodged up photos and made it look awful!!

We are lucky enough to have picture rails and I'm on my 7th roll of frog tape! It's brilliant for edging xx

Kyriesmum1 Sun 01-Dec-19 19:53:18

@Ginfordinner she started helping yesterday after popping in for a cuppa and hasn't been home since!! I've got her until tomorrow 😁

Kyriesmum1 Mon 02-Dec-19 09:23:24

Lounge 1 before and after

Kyriesmum1 Mon 02-Dec-19 09:24:25

Play room before and after

MarthasGinYard Mon 02-Dec-19 11:00:06

Have you painted em trade magnolia 🤔

LochJessMonster Mon 02-Dec-19 11:07:00

Oh yeah, you 100% managed to clear a room, sand down, tape, paint 2 coats, let it dry and move furniture back in a day hmm

MarthasGinYard Mon 02-Dec-19 11:11:57

I'm impressed you had the hall floor down in a day as well as walloping the walls confused

DavetheCat2001 Mon 02-Dec-19 11:43:08

Stealth boast of the decorating I did over the w/e..

DavetheCat2001 Mon 02-Dec-19 11:44:46

.. and my poor blistered hands

MikeUniformMike Mon 02-Dec-19 11:48:28

You need to paint in natural daylight.

LochJessMonster Mon 02-Dec-19 12:01:30

@DavetheCat2001 I Iove the deep red with the white shelves and accents. Really nice!

DavetheCat2001 Mon 02-Dec-19 12:15:35

Thank you @LochJessMonster

It's taken 3 months to get to this stage.. building work/ insulation under the floor and plumbing/electrical issues discovered along the way have meant its been epic.

The whole house needs a ton of work, but I want just one room done fir Christmas.

youngestisapsycho Mon 02-Dec-19 12:25:50

That new flooring has oddly placed lighter pieces?

Kyriesmum1 Mon 02-Dec-19 12:38:55

@MarthasGinYard

The lounge is natural hessian and playroom is natural calico. I have got to buy some stickers for playroom now.

Kyriesmum1 Mon 02-Dec-19 12:41:05

@LochJessMonster

As I said before I'm not doing woodwork just the colour parts of the walls as the previous owners had awful colours and we want it to feel more like our home for Xmas. Next year we will be full renovating each room with plastering etc plus lounge will have the new fireplace installed and dining room and snug are having new double glazing. We are also taking wall out between kitchen and dining room. The painting is just a freshen up 😁

avocuddl Mon 02-Dec-19 12:42:53

Well done OP I think you're doing an amazing job!! How are you getting on today?

Kyriesmum1 Mon 02-Dec-19 12:53:14

@DavetheCat2001 (fab name btw)

Wow that's amazing!! I love the red! I've just done red in dining room on one wall with cream in the others x

Kyriesmum1 Mon 02-Dec-19 13:07:10

@avocuddl

Thank you!! Have done second coat on dd1 room, first coat on dd 3 room and have glossed dd2 wardrobe door black (🙄)

Aim to at least have their rooms finished for tonight for when they get home tomorrow! 😁😝

DavetheCat2001 Mon 02-Dec-19 13:17:00

Thank you @Kyriesmum1

It's a similar colour scheme to our old place which I think looks nice in a period room.

Used Little Greene paint this time though which I highly recommend.

itsboiledeggsagain Mon 02-Dec-19 13:21:18

People are really mean in this thread.

Kyriesmum1 Mon 02-Dec-19 13:22:41

@DavetheCat2001 not heard of them, where do you get that brand from for future reference?

We used Russian red in dining room from dulux.

Hope your blisters heal soon!

Kyriesmum1 Mon 02-Dec-19 13:24:16

@itsboiledeggsagain

I know but I ignore them, I love my house and have enjoyed decorating it without hubby and kids constantly stopping me!! 😁

X

PenelopeFlintstone Mon 02-Dec-19 13:27:02

have glossed dd2 wardrobe door black (🙄)
The back of my DD’s door is black gloss. She wanted the ceiling!

newdeer Mon 02-Dec-19 13:32:59

I've never understood how people can decorate at such speed. DH and I have just spent 2 days on one room doing only one coat on walls and one day on the stairs and landing (not including the hall) doing gloss only except for repainting one wall. We do prep properly=ish (sugar soap, keying surfaces, wiping away all dust and hoovering, laying down dust sheets etc but we're not exactly brilliant at it. How one person alone can paint a room in a day is beyond me, when it takes two of us two days, so four times as long.

DavetheCat2001 Mon 02-Dec-19 13:36:05

https://www.littlegreene.com/theatre-red?gclid=Cj0KCQiAiZPvBRDZARIsAORkq7foLgWa427p9gqBLL1cQnGMargapurZqyew3E3PuUfQdIntouWNygaAnDVEALww_wcB

Kyriesmum1 Mon 02-Dec-19 13:41:18

@PenelopeFlintstone

She wanted her whole room black but we compromised and it's just wardrobe door and the rest of the room is being painted light grey 😂

Kyriesmum1 Mon 02-Dec-19 13:43:20

@newdeer no glossing other than my daughters wardrobe door. I've used roll and stroll on carpets and frog tapes on edges I'm literally not stopping I rotes through a couple of rooms painting walls while the other rooms are drying! My amazing sister is also helping 😅

Kyriesmum1 Mon 02-Dec-19 13:43:59

@DavetheCat2001 thank you!!

newdeer Mon 02-Dec-19 13:44:29

I guess if it's just walls up to the dado rail, you can work faster. I love rollering paint - very satisfying. It's the ceiling and gloss that are so exhausting - fumes and neck cricks.

PenelopeFlintstone Mon 02-Dec-19 13:45:07

Very good and quite similar. We also have a picture rail and above that is white. The walls are Whisper White which looks quite grey.
The black paint was a free score from my friend who painted her bathroom ceiling black after I saw it on Pinterest. No more mould spots to be seen on there!! grin

Namaste6 Mon 02-Dec-19 16:17:27

Wow!! @Kyriesmum1 Utterly fantastic job so far! @DavetheCat2001 - love the accent colour you have used. Especially love the colour of your liquid refreshment! 😂🙏

HeatedDryer Mon 02-Dec-19 16:50:50

OP you win the prize for being optimistic, upbeat and cheerful in the face of some miserable kill joy posters. For what its worth I think you are doing an amazing job, especially with a baby to feed too. Well donestarhalo

Kyriesmum1 Mon 02-Dec-19 23:56:31

Well they are back tomorrow morning! I have done the dc rooms so out of 14 rooms I wanted to do I managed 10!

Now crashing into bed awaiting the early morning cry for a bottle 😖😴

Thank you to those of you that gave me lots of encouragement throughout the last 4 busiest days ever!! 😘

PenelopeFlintstone Tue 03-Dec-19 05:35:23

Amazing!!! Why am I so lazy?

LazyFace Tue 03-Dec-19 06:07:59

Blimming hell. I wish you posted a year ago, I was doing white paint on freshly painted walls for ever and ever. I'd have paid you. :-)

AliciaFleas Tue 03-Dec-19 08:57:30

Well done OP.

Although Im lazy so I would have spent my time and money paying someone doing it after the plastering next year.

It looks really ovely, now have a rest.

<faints again>

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »